Inside Ride eMotion Roller System Trainer

4.93/5 (14 Reviews)

Finally, a cycling platform that moves with you, allowing the natural motion of real riding. The E-motion system completely changes the feel of indoor riding.

The patented design is based on a simple sliding frame, which lets the bike float naturally forward or back as you ride…so your bike reacts freely to the movement of your body, as it does on the road. Common rollers prevent natural motion (which is why people don’t like them). This is the first trainer EVER to create a full 3-dimensional feel with steering, balance and freedom of motion.

The E-motion comes with a MAGNETIC resistance unit and precision ALUMINUM drums. It is QUIET and RELIABLE and offers an amazing level of comfort and rideability. It’s a dream machine for the thousands of cyclists who are sick of conventional rollers, but want to ride indoors to stay fit.

Although the floating action will keep you "in the pocket" 95% of the time, for absolute security, our bumper system is exceptional. You cannot ride out of these rollers! For aggressive sprinting, and out of the saddle efforts, the bumpers will keep you up and cranking no matter how wild you get... without disturbing your steering or balance!

Submitted by woodsterss a Cross Country Rider from Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2010

Strengths:    Well built, short learning curve, fun to ride, allows for easy out-of-the-saddle riding, resistance allows for easy spin or hard workout.

Weaknesses:    Weight and lack of folding is a factor for those who need compactness and portability and the price will be outside the limit for many. Also it is not well suited to many mountain bikes.

Bottom Line:
Great product. An hour ride on the e-motion goes by quickly. An hour on a fixed trainer is like bamboo under the fingernails. I had never ridden rollers before, yet it took only 5 minutes to get comfortable with basic riding and about 30 minutes before I could stand and really hammer at the pedals. I still can't go without hands, but I will get there. Some say the added safety features make you lazy and prevent you from mastering form. I disagree. The safety features reduce the risk for the novice or inattentive rider, but the basic nature of the rollers remains and so it encourages you to develop a smooth pedal stroke and centerline position. The biggest advantage is the ability to stand. This skill can be attained on regular rollers, but only with much practice and even then it appears awkward-as if the rider has most of their concentration on not falling down. The floating system of the e-motion, while hardly noticeable with ordinary riding, really comes into play during standing efforts. This is a small company and few stores carry the rollers as yet, but I think it will catch on and be the next hot training item in the near future.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Big Quilcene

Purchased At:   Inside Ride

Similar Products Used:   Just fixed trainers.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Capo and Cannondale CAAD9 5.

Submitted by Lars Dalgas a Cross Country Rider from Århus Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2008

Strengths:    This is THE top rollers! I've used the older type since 1980'ies and take my word: Insideride really rules the market!
Save your hard earned bucks from buying cheaper stuff, get these and enjoy your training this winter

Weaknesses:    Took some weeks before it came...

Bottom Line:
Best product.

Favorite Trail:   Eldrigdegrade, Mt Tamapais Ca

Purchased At:   UK

Similar Products Used:   Tacx

Bike Setup:   Racebike, Cervelo soloist carbon or Giant TCR

Submitted by Brad Herder a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfield, MA USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    This is the best trainer I've ever used. Check out my Youtube video:

It feels just like riding a bike.

The floating motion makes it possible to stand and pedal as you normally would. On other rollers, you have to pedal very gingerly or you'll fly off the back while standing. You can absolutely hammer on these and you won't come off.

I can ride these for an hour or more (alternating standing and sitting) and not experience any agonizing butt pain.

I seem to be riding at only 13-14 mph with no resistance and get in a pretty good workout. If you want more resistance, just flip down the magnet and it'll put some significant load on your legs.

Weaknesses:    Wheelbase is too short for my mountain bike.

With resistance on, the back wheel slips when standing.

Bottom Line:
The best trainer I've ever used.

I have been creating DVD's with Music Videos on them and watch them while riding. That really helps a lot.

Watching hockey while riding is deadly. I must be following the back and forth motion or something and I go flying off - well, the bike stays on, but I fall off to the side. No big deal at all really.

Favorite Trail:   Blair Witch

Purchased At:   1UPUSA

Similar Products Used:   Spinning bike, Blackburn Trainer, Performance Bicycle Rollers

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Axis

Submitted by Jay a Racer from New York, New York

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Copy of my letter to Larry, the inventor/producer of the rollers:

I wanted to follow up on the feedback from yesterday on the telephone. We spoke about my first time trying the rollers (or any rollers for that matter). I had planned to do a ride outside yesterday, but after setting up the rollers and trying them in my regular clothes and sneakers, I missed the car free time in Central Park (after that you get a narrow bike lane to share with other bikes, skaters, runners, etc.) So I decided to try an inside ride.

Having never done a longer than 45-60 minute ride on my trainer, I was aiming for an hour to compare how I felt. After a few minutes, I got more comfortable and was able to free a hand for drinking and grabbing a nearby towel for sweat. After a few minutes more, I was able to stand and coast to relieve pressure. After about 20 minutes I started to actually try to swerve a bit to get a feel for the side bumpers and then was able to go to the big ring to stand and pedal for relief. Although I know it’s probably not a great idea on the first ride, I had to try riding no hands after seeing the video. At first, I could only manage a few seconds but by the end of the ride I was able to ride no hands for up to 30-40 seconds. Very cool, of course trying all this is because of the knowledge of the side bumpers to keep you on.

At 1 hour I had none of the crotch agony that I would have on the trainer. I hopped off to fill my water bottle and got back on for another 20 minutes. At that point I was starving from not having eaten much and hopped off to wolf down a piece of bread and some juice and got back on. I rode for another 40 minutes for a total of about 2 hours!! Of course, as you know, there was no comparison to riding the trainer with this feeling much more like really riding, however, with the comforting knowledge of the side bumpers, I could and did zone out a bit (not a bad thing, just kind of lost in thought that you sometimes get on the bike when your riding in car free space). I can definitely see some 2-3 hour base rides this winter inside.

Lastly, despite the wattage estimates in the graph, I think the rolling resistance (at least for my bike setup) on the zero resistance setting is close to road riding. On relative flats on the road, I ride between 19 and 22 mph in my endurance zone and on the rollers, once I got up to my zone, which took a bit of warm up time, I was riding between 19 and 21 mph. My average speed over the 2 hours was about 18.5 mph including warm up and cool down time. I can assure you that I don’t put out anywhere near 300 watts at an endurance zone pace (probably closer to 200 watts).

Weaknesses:    none so far. a remote control to change resistance and add incline would be great, wouldn't it?

Bottom Line:
Great product that should help me lay down a great base this winter.

Similar Products Used:   only trainer, no rollers

Bike Setup:   Fondriest Domino Carbon, full Campy record, Hed Jet 60 wheels

Submitted by Tommy a Racer from Seal Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth and dependable. The ability to sprint!!!

Weaknesses:    Not able to click the magnet to climb hills while I am riding. But that's not a problem. The price....But I am not disappointed...

Bottom Line:
I'm a Johnny come lately to the racing scene. Started at 36 years old but it makes me feel young. I have worked my way up to the PRO 1,2's with in 9 months of racing. I would like to see how far I can take this crazy sport. My work schedule is crazy as well. Being a fireman and working 24 hour shifts can be a real bummer if I don't get a ride in. My Inside Ride stays in the van. If I can squeeze in a 30-90 minute ride I know that my competition is not getting a leg up on me.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Stationary bikes, other rollers, and rear wheel trainers. They all suck compared to the Inside Ride.

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Tarmac PRO with SRAM.

Submitted by Trickykill a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    None other like it. These rollers allow you to ride close to how you can outdoors. You can sprint...Not just a controlled sprint...an all out, head down, all you have sprint. You can ride no handed, grab a bottle, dial a cell phone, coast, slow to a crawl, stretch your legs and ride out the saddle. Workmanship and quality is first class. The magnetic resistance unit and rollers work quietly.

Weaknesses:    None I am aware of

Bottom Line:
If you want a set of rollers that are fun to ride, that you can relax on, watch a movie, or just zone out for hours at at time, you have to get emotions. They are worth every penny.......

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon

Purchased At:   Insideride.com

Similar Products Used:   1up USA trainer

Bike Setup:   Adjust the forward roller ever so slightly ahead of the axle, set the resistance, and you are set

Submitted by Cameron Holland a Racer from Newport News Va, 23602

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    The smoothest rollers I have ever ridden. It feels just like riding on the road. I can adjust my position in the saddle and not worry about falling off. You can stand and sprint like you are on the road. I was very surprised at how real they feel and it actually makes me want to go ride when I used to dread indoor Training.

Weaknesses:    No real weakness’s to speak of. I would love to be able to take then to the races to worm up on so a portable version would be great but that’s what my old turbo trainer is for.

Bottom Line:
The drums are perfectly round, and all parts are top notch. They seem as no expense was spared in production. All in all, the best indoor trainer I have ever ridden and I have used most out there. If you are going to ride inside, you have to have a set of these. E-Motion, Thanks for a great product.

Similar Products Used:   Many different types of rollers and rear wheel trainers.

Bike Setup:   I ride my road, fixed gear and time trial bikes on these with confidence and ease.

Submitted by Hugh Gapay a Racer from Cornelius, Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    These rollers are so comfortable and responsive. I am still marveled at the design of these rollers. I am not sure how they work only thatb they kick butt on my krietlers.

Weaknesses:    These rollers are so awesome I almost don't want to ride outside anymore.

Bottom Line:
If you are serious about indoor training these are a must have. I put 5000 miles on my Krietlers last year and , although I cant complain about my results, the e-motion system is leaps and bounds ahead of any traditional roller. I bought my rollers in Jan. 2007 and have put almost three thousand miles on them to date. These rollers rock!

Favorite Trail:   Steuart PeaKTrail

Purchased At:   Direct from the factory

Similar Products Used:   I trained on a set of Kreitler's last year.

Bike Setup:   Effortless.

Submitted by Christopher Ross a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    Impeccable design and manufacture.
Total quality througout.
Super smooth quiet and stable.
Designed with a unique longitudinal "suspension" that allows the entire rider, bike and rollers to "surge" fore and aft (with damping), bringing an incredible sense of realism to the workout. Hammer on the pedals in a tall gear and it feels REAL. Put the chain on the big ring and STAND on the pedals and you'll think you're attacking a hill (that never ends...). PERFECT!
Side "bumper" wheels are perfectly placed. You can slam the front tire sideways against them and naturally recover. Amazing.
Able to calmly absorb as much power input as ANYBODY could possibly deliver. Incredibly smooth at 39 MPH in an all out sprint, or at 5 mph "idling".
The most realistic indoor trainer I've ridden, by an order of magnitude.
Thoughtfully packaged with adjustment tools and well written instructions.
Packaging for shipment was well done and secure.

Weaknesses:    Wish it had been brought to market 20 years ago!

Bottom Line:
If you like to ride a $250 bike you might want to buy a cheaper set of rollers or trainer.
If you are a serious rider that appreciates the quality of fine machinery you really should check these out!
They are well made as the finest machine I own.
The 4 position magnet and flywheel unit will absorb as much power as a rider can put out over the total workout, OR in a dead sprint. Works fantastic for my single speed and road race bike alike.

I am TOTALLY SATISFIED with my purchase and the value. My indoor training went to a whole new level! So enjoyable to be able to MOVE THE BIKE under you as you ride and have it respond as if you are on the road.

WARNING: If you try these rollers you WILL buy them.

Purchased At:   Seattle Bike Expo

Similar Products Used:   Numerous other brands of trainers, rollers, spinning cycles, stationary bikes, etc.

Bike Setup:   Super simple. For the first time, one must adjust the wheelbase to match the bike of choice. This is done in about 30 seconds via two acorn nuts and a 5/8" wrench that is thoughtfully provided. Clear graduation marks on each rail allow for easy and accurate alignment of the front roller during adjustment. A snap!
After the initial adjustment there IS NO SETUP!!! Just put your favorite bike on the rollers and RIDE!!!

Submitted by Joshua Simonds a Racer from EAST COAST BABY !

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    You can ride these HARD and not die! Seamlessly get in and out of the saddle without worrying about crashing thru a window :( They have a natural road feel. I ride using an SRM and readings are spot on with magnetic resistance off. Also, these rollers have a unique ability to provide instant bio-feedback. If you ride unevenly they will "surge" telling you to correct your bike fit or riding style. As a pro coach I LOVE that aspect because I am able to watch riders and make quick changes to their bike fit and style than see the result. Resistance can be set from zero to OMG!
The units are VERY well made and customer support outta this world :) E-Motion guys are dedicated and they "get it".

Weaknesses:    None!
If you need something portable for races than buy it. This is a serious indoor training device.

Bottom Line:
Buy them if you don't want to fall on your face after a winter of training or think you'd enjoy riding indoors without being locked into a fixed position OR if you are a coach these are amazing for working on form.
Anyone want more skinny contact me thru:
www.bicycle-coach.com

Favorite Trail:   The Gunks

Purchased At:   BCI mfg.

Similar Products Used:   Krietler
Cortinas

Bike Setup:   Mtn. = Fat Chance Team Yo Eddie
Fav. for rollers = Spectrum Custom Ti or Seven Track bike.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent quality. Ability to stand and crank helps provide a more complete workout. Riding duration is far greater than with standard rollers. Very smooth.

Bottom Line:
STOP!!! Save yourself the grief of riding on a standard set of rollers and spend a little more for the real deal!
You will NOT regret this purchase!
My wife, whom is a new rider, has taken to these very easily. I have to get in line to use them!

Purchased At:   Inside Ride

Similar Products Used:   Standard rollers (which don't compare!).

Bike Setup:   Full carbon Specialized Roubaix Pro.

Submitted by Steve G from Saddle Brook, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    I'm principally a road cyclist, a TT state Champion and like many of us, a fanatic about bike equipment, technology and anything that lets me train so i can push harder. i race a lot of MTB races on the east coast as well. I have a computer, and used to have kreitler rollers. My coach suggested the Inside Ride and i bit. Frankly, they are the best inside training tool i have outside of my SRM power meter. I might describe them as rollers suspended on a frame with springs to let it move and absorb your energy. typically, hard efforts, sprints, erratic motion from heavy intervals would make me dangerous on regular rollers. on these things, i can whale 300, 400 watt intervals, 600 to 1000 watt sprints, wtihout getting ejected. they are smooth as glass, well machiend, and i find myself being able to do long long efforts onthem, 90 minutes to 2 hours with the ability to get out of saddle, pop a bit and replicate real road riding. granted, we'd all like to be outside, but if thats not possible due to work/time constraints, or weather...these things are worth every dollar. every one of the 850 they cost. so nice i bot a second set for my house in vermont.

Weaknesses:    they are big. unlike kreitlers they dont fold up, and you cant necessarily pack them away. i put them on my basement floor and there they stay. other than that, they are the nicest , best machined, most nicely fabricated rollers or trainer i've ever had. i guess i would call price a weakness. after all, rollers and trainers arent cheap and then go to a few hundred bucks more is a tough squeeze. but end of day, its a great investment and i think worth every dollar. i'm hooked.

Bottom Line:
Expensive, but worth every dollar. Every dollar. I'd give up every other trainer including my computrainer to keep these things. only thing i rate more highly is my SRM power meter. if these things could ever incorporate actual, exact power readings, i might sell a left foot for one.

when training to get stronger, anything that can make riding inside more enjoyable, more tolerable so i can ride harder and longer and get stronger, is worth every penny

Favorite Trail:   Anything that is tight twisty, goes up hard, and comes down harder

Purchased At:   Direct from Manufacturer