CycleOps Rollers Trainer

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

CycleOps made its Rollers with precision-lathed aluminum roller drums that won't distort, an adjustable belt for right and left dismounts, and a foldable design for easy storage. Rollers force you to concentrate on balance, control, and riding in a straight line, all of which help improve your efficiency and technique on the road. The Rollers' durable steel-frame construction won't bend or kink. If you're stoked on having additional resistance while you train, choose the Aluminum Rollers With Resistance. A magnetic bar works with the rolling aluminum rear drum to increase your resistance with five different levels.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from New York NY

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth and true bearings. Study chassis that folds flat. Light but rigid so I can move it around depending on where I want to roll. PVC rollers are very durable. Resistance can be changed with bikes gears.

Weaknesses:    The slickest set of tires at high pressure will produce minimal noise but with a set of even the most worn out knobbies will down out the TV. Oh and because you don't really get a chance to stand on rollers, I suffered very mild penile numbness after work outs. Just shift seat positioning till you're comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I'm 30 years old and I've always wanted a great cardio workout at home that wasn't so intense it would lay me out in 30 mins (like my elliptical trainer). My main goal with the rollers was to lose some fat (BTW I weigh 180lbs and am 5'8). The rollers keep me at a great heart rate for burning fat and help me undo any sloppy pedal mashing tendencies I have while riding my freeride bikes. Even when watching TV or playing the piano, my wife doesn't complain of any noise now that I swapped to high pressure slicks. Plus it's fun riding rollers, it is very interactive, engaging, and even a bit novel.

Favorite Trail:   Bethpage, Long Island, NY

Similar Products Used:   Stationary uprights at the gym.

Bike Setup:   17" Kona Kilauea mountain bike with 26x1.75 Slicks inflated to 65psi - basically a 23lbs city whip.

Submitted by Josh from Foxboro, Massachusetts,USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2004

Strengths:    Dead-on true, Solid frame, Low to the ground, Decent resistance.

Weaknesses:    Not well balanced, so above 20 mph there is noticeable vibration and noise. Note that 20 mph is according to my computer - the effort level is much less than on the road. So this is probably equivalent to 15 mph on the road.

Bottom Line:
I was told by Colorado Cyclist that at this price point the rollers would not be perfectly balanced. I guess the bottom line is that they're acceptable so I'm not going to return them. At an easy pace these rollers are smooth, but it would be nice if they were a little better balanced so I could hear the t.v. even if I'm doing intervals. If you have downstairs neighbors, I would definitely consider other rollers.

Favorite Trail:   Gilbert State Forest

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar poly rollers, 4.5-inch diameter

Bike Setup:   Canondale R600 w/ full Dura-ace for the road and roller, Fisher X-caliber w/ Marz. Bomber fork and Magura hydraulic calipers in the woods.

Submitted by JIM BENNETT a Cross Country Rider from HESPERIA, CALIFORNIA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    Affordable, closest thing to actual riding sure beats a stationary bike or trainer, improves spin and balance, folds up for easy storage.
Provides an awesome workout indoors.

Weaknesses:    NONE, EXCEPT THAT THEY MAKE YOU WORK.
DEPENDING OF COURSE ON WHICH GEAR YOU RIDE IN.

Bottom Line:
AS DAVID SAID IN HIS REVIEW DATED 3/18/02, I TOO HAD NOTHING BUT AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME EXPERIENCE WITH PETE COLAN http://www.sportcrafters.com/
THIS GUY IS THE NICEST MOST PROFESSIONAL PERSON YOU WILL EVER DEAL WITH, AND IF YOU SEEK KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ROLLERS, HE IS THE MAN TO ASK, WITHOUT A DOUBT!
IF YOU BUY YOUR ROLLERS FROM ANYONE ELSE, YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE.

These are the 4.5" poly rollers that SportCrafters manufactured for CycleOps. I purchased these rollers directly from the owner of SportCrafters, Pete Colan. Apparently, the 4.5" diameter rollers didn't sell as well as the smaller diameter rollers, so Pete has a few extras. The 4.5" diameter rollers are ideal for mountain bikes (using slicks) around the 170+ mark. While I find myself using a higher gear the majority of the time, the larger diameter rollers provide some roll-out (coasting) if you temporarily stop pedaling. Pete is great to deal with, an incredible resource, and extremely willing to help you find the correct rollers for your cycling needs. Visit his site at www.sportcrafters.com. Please note that my ratings are weighted heavily based on my experience with Pete and Sportcrafters.

Favorite Trail:   ANYWHERE IN MAMMOTH

Purchased At:   $100

Similar Products Used:   TOO MANY YEARS AGO TO REMEMBER.

Bike Setup:   SCHWINN MOAB, MOSTLY STOCK WITH A FEW UPGRADES.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Affordable, closet thing to actual riding -- sure beats a stationary bike or trainer, improves spin and balance, folds up for easy storage

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:

Favorite Trail:   Emma Carlin/John Muir (SE WI)

Purchased At:   SportCrafters

Similar Products Used:   Minora

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown Pro -- pretty much stock with a few minor upgrades

Submitted by jack lamano a Cross Country Rider from Valley of the Sun

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great for rainy-days when you're eager to spin but don't want to damage the wet trail. You can squeeze in a ride when you don't have a lot of time. Makes watching TV far more productive!

Weaknesses:    Will not work with knobbies. Tires will shed a black powder on your carpet. You can't use your highest gear for an all-out workout or the bearings (axle?) get too hot and start squealing like a brake pad. Too noisy for apartment dwellers even at an easy spin -- they'll start knockin' at your door! Cycle Ops will not answer questions if you write to them.

Bottom Line:
It's really good for spinning but I'd rather ride on a good road or trail. I'll probably give it away in the marketplace.

Favorite Trail:   The loneliest, most desolate trail.

Similar Products Used:   The road itself (recommended).

Bike Setup:   Hybrid.

High Rollers spotted on the new Bronson

Richard C's review of the SC Bronson [url=http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Santa-Cruz-Bronson-650B-Enduro-Racer-in-Carbon-and-Aluminum.html]Santa Cruz Bronson - 650B Enduro Racer in Carbon and Aluminum - Pinkbike[/url]Read More »

Proper technique on close spaced rollers on Rays Revenge?

I love riding at Raystown, and I know they are considered relatively easy trails. My favorite trail there might be Rays Revenge in the clockwise direction. The issue I have is that there are a couple high speed sections where the roller spacing gets really tight and I'm going way too fast to abs ... Read More »

What is your personal best for 10 miles on the rollers

I was getting bored with intervals so i decided just to sprint out ten miles to see how my come back is going. I quit biking for a few years and have been training for a few months now, still fat and slow but improving. I just wanted to see what time real riders could do ten miles in on the rollers. ... Read More »

Rollers anyone

Is anyone using the rollers to do some indoor training. I have been using them for a month or so, I just do a quick 10 miles a few times a week. What is considered a fast pace with a road bike on the rollers??Read More »

Rollers vs Trainer

Thoughts? I've got a pretty good trainer but I've heard rollers can make winter training a bit less of a pain in the ass. Performance has these on sale right now... [url=http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1028825_-1___]Travel Trac Technique Inertial Rollers - Trainer and ... Read More »