CycleOps Magneto Trainer

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

You follow a strict diet, keep your legs hair-free, and do your best at the local crit, but the season has just ended. Stay on the bike all year round, and keep your fitness at its peak within the comfort of your home with the easy-to-set-up, easy-to-use CycleOps Magneto Trainer.Power Band Technology provides a progressive, natural workout with varying resistance?without rider-made adjustmentsCam Lever for quick, one movement set up

Submitted by Msdos5 a Cross Country Rider from Sioux Falls, SD USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2010

Strengths:    None

Bottom Line:
I was using this thing for thirty minutes a day, for improving My health & getting ready for touring. My conclusion is the plastic resistance knob broke fairly efficiently and that negated any use. I guess if You want to do this seriously You have to shell out three hundred some dollars, I'd just do the health club.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Scheels

Bike Setup:   Giant Upland

Submitted by ssorgs from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Quiet, smooth, quick release

Bottom Line:
Got a great, great deal on this used. It's super quiet and smooth. It's sturdy and came with the 3-position front wheel base. Don't notice it getting hot.

Purchased At:   used from private party

Similar Products Used:   LeMond

Bike Setup:   Maverick Durance-DUC, X-9/X-0/XT, 10-sp FD, Juicy 7s, 819s, Minion DHF (run tubeless!), Spec Eskar Ctrl 2Bliss, 24/7 front hub, LaserLite rear hub, Speedball R, WTB Speed V, XTR pedals, Ergons, EA70 Monkey Bar

Submitted by Gary Lee a Weekend Warrior from Allen, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    Well constructed. I like the fact that it's quiet and it doesn't heat up the tire like my friend's fluid trainer does. Came with a Carmichael training video, good for newbies like me. And a Lifetime Warranty.

Weaknesses:    It's still very new so I have no weakness findings as of yet. The weakness lies in me, the rider. Hence the trainer...

Bottom Line:
Two things... first, my local bike shop guy, Alvers at Plano Cyclery, recommended this one and I trust his opinion. Second, I got a killer deal from brandscycle.com. So far I love it. I like that it doesn't heat the wheel causing faster wear on the rear tire. (or maybe I don't ride it fast enough yet...) It's well constructed and was simple to assemble. Plus it has a lifetime warranty and after reading several posts about Cycleops they seem very helpful and reputable if something goes wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Trail Mix

Purchased At:   brandscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   Travel Trac Century Fluid Trainer

Bike Setup:   '06 Allez Ellite Double

Submitted by MavFan a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Strengths:    Stable, quiet, smooth, easy setup

Weaknesses:    A little pricey

Bottom Line:
My old Minoura trainer was super loud and disintegrated (plastic housing got brittle, cracked and fell apart) after just one winter season. The Cycleops is sooo much quieter (just a faint hum, barely audible over my drive train) and also much smoother. It provides me with plenty of resistence (upper half of middle ring). It took me longer to swap out my rear for a slick than to set up this unit. A little pricey, in my opinion, but I'm quite pleased with the quality and feel this unit will last me many years.

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   Minoura rim magnetic trainer

Bike Setup:   Trek mountain with Bontrager slick

Submitted by nschiele a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks! My old Cycle Ops trainer was useless, mostly plastic. The thing was ready to fall apart after about 10 hours use. I sent the resistnance unit back to them twice, on the second time, they sent me the new model. No resistance adjustments, and they're not needed. In my low gear there is no resistance, but I haven't even got it into the big ring yet when riding at >80% effort. As far as durability, it' all steel, and it the flywheel has a fan to keep the magnets cool to the touch. Also smooth and quiet.

Submitted by D a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Easy set up, quiet,

Weaknesses:    none yet,

Bottom Line:
i hated seeing my road bike collecting dust all winter, plus i feel like i get a better work out using my actual bike. i'd rather be outside mountain biking, but when that is not an option the trainer is great. i couldnt stay on for very long without a trainer tape, it came with one and i bought a couple more...mix up the workouts.

Favorite Trail:   nepaug

Purchased At:   mean wheels bike shop, lenox