CycleOps Mag Trainer

2.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The CycleOps Mag Indoor Bicycle Trainer helps keep your legs in shape, even during the winter months. The indoor trainer is designed with magnet brakes and utilizes a unique, internal flywheel that provides a smooth and quiet ride. The resistance lever has five different settings so you can vary your workout from warm-up stage to tough-terrain riding. The sturdy steel frame has leveling feet for stability, while the foldable legs allow you to easily set-up and store the bike. The indoor bicycle trainer comes with an informational DVD.

Submitted by kelly a Cross Country Rider from afton, wy

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Strengths:    the good loud sound it made when I chucked it onto the scrap metal pile at our local land fill

Weaknesses:    louder than a banshee with a megaphone, hard on tires, poor resistance, instant spin down, overpowers easily

Bottom Line:
I went for the bargain and I got what I paid for. I will now suck it up and buy a 1upUSA trainer. For moderate to serious riders, this trainer won't do the job. I suppose it might suffice for the guy who wants the novelty of biking indoors once in a great while. But for all winter? No way.

Favorite Trail:   spruce hollow

Purchased At:   100

Similar Products Used:   my first and last cycleops

Bike Setup:   giant tcr2 shimano 105

Submitted by chris gates a Racer from alto,mi,usa

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, Kind of quiet, training video, good resistance

Weaknesses:    kind of loud, heavy

GOOD

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   village bike(gift)

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainer velocioraptor tires

Submitted by ed a Racer from san francisco

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you are planing on buying a trainer that will last for years buy something else from a different company.

This trainer will not last. I've had to warranty it twice. The first two times after less than 5 rides each. Now the latest model is dying after less than 20 rides. Each time something different broke on the mag unit. Both the older unit and the newer models have lots of cheap plastic parts where much heavier materials are needed. I've also had several friends whom have had problems with their fluid trainers. No wonder the company went out of business.

Submitted by Norman a Racer from TX

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Extremely quiet. Metallic blue looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Could use higher resistance. Plastic parts on resistance unit seem flimsy. Flywheel gets really hot.

Bottom Line:
The plastic parts on the flywheel assembly feel like they are about to fall apart. I can max it out at the highest resistance setting in my 53-11 during a 1 minute interval, and I'm no power house.

Similar Products Used:   old blackburn mag trainer.

Bike Setup:   Trek 2200

Submitted by Greyson a Weekend Warrior from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2000

Strengths:    Stabble, adjustable, works with variaty of skewers.

Weaknesses:    Plastic cup around magnet is warped and rubs, making loud noises

Bottom Line:
I have the trek labeled version of this trainer, and the cup has warped, rubing against the magnet, making loud noises, especially when I bump the resistance up. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it.

Bike Setup:   2001 trek 5200

Submitted by James C a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Strengths:    durable, price,

Weaknesses:    loud at higher speeds, mounts scuff wooden floors

Bottom Line:
I have the older model and for the price I can reccomend it. However, at higher speeds this unit gets loud and eats tires for breakfast. The model I have has plastic endcaps which make it nonfriendly to wood floors. To alleviate the problem I bought a rubber place matt and cut squares to protect the floor. It has lasted over three years and still works fairly well. I haven't tried the new models which are now made by grabber, but if they are improvements to this one they should be pretty good.

Bike Setup:   Caad3 Road bike, Ultegra

Submitted by James Rogers a Cross Country Rider from Mountain lakes NJ

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Strengths:    Fluid and somewhat varied resistance. Free video. Not too expensive. Easy to get bike on and off. Quality made parts and good craftmanship. Stable

Weaknesses:    Could have a little more resistance at the top. The directions don't really tell the easiest way to put the thing together (there are only 5 pices, though). Loud, not as loud as wind but still pretty loud at some speeds

Bottom Line:
I got it at a pretty good price, about $180 because I get a 15% discount at my LBS. It was a little difficult to assemble because although there are only 2 bolts that hold the resistance unit on, the pivot bolt should go on first to be easier but before that, the L-screw should be in the covering but not screwed in. Anyway, at low resistance levels and low cadence, the thing is pretty loud and it seems like something is vibrating on it. The video may be useful if you can stop laughing at the corny music (it sounds like 40 minutes of some synthesized guitar solo) the stupid hair and the hippy leading the thing. The audio was way messed up on mine as well. The resistance is very consistent and does give a good workout. The stand is pretty stable and holds the bike well. It looks nice too. It gets minus 1 chili for being a tad expensive in regular pricing, having dumb instructions and a corny video and being a little loud yet wimpy in the resistance department.

Favorite Trail:   dirty