CycleOps Fluid Trainer

3.42/5 (65 Reviews)

The CycleOps FluidTrainers fit a wide variety of wheel sizes. Designed with Power BandTechnology, it allows resistance levelsTo vary with cadence or gear shifts. * Includes aTraining DVD * Quick-lock bike mount lever on allTrainer frames * Custom bike skewer provided, lifetime warranty * Fits 26", 27" and 700c or 20"/24" with optional adapter (WT7025) * Not compatible with 29ers (see Pro Series) * New larger flywheel for improved road-like feel * Includes Race DayTraining video * Infinite resist

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Seems smooth and durable, very stable.

Weaknesses:    Noisy for a fluid

Bottom Line:
This is for the newer Road Machine Fluid green version. I bought this to replace an old Nashbar TravelTrak 3 that had started leaking after years of use. The unit seems durable, has a good range of resistance, though on some of my workouts I'm in my hardest gear and I almost never use any gear in the smaller chainring on the road bike so I think they could easily increase the resistance.

Mine is not crazy loud, but compared to my old travelTrak 3 it's much louder, both seem similar in smoothness, the TravelTrak 3 also was much more compact unit with similar stability though I think if you were really hammering the cyclops might be a big more stable.

All in all it's a good unit, but honestly for a lot less money the TravelTrak did just as good and was quieter. I almost wish I had looked harder into getting a new fluid unit for it.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar TravelTrack 3, rollers, older Fluid+

Submitted by Glen a Racer from Lubbock, TX

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Strengths:    Quiet, smooth
Reliable, compact, looks?

Weaknesses:    Could use greater resistance

Bottom Line:
Better than a discount trainer-entices you to ride indoors rather than in crappy weather-allows specific training

Been an excellent trainer-recommended

Similar Products Used:   old magnetic blackburn (noisy, rough)

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ont., Canada

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    Some, fairly quiet resistance.

Weaknesses:    Could use a little more resistatnce.

Bottom Line:
The product itself is good but it is the customer service which sets the cyclops apart. I purchased the unit used from a private seller. After about 3 year of use the resistance became very weak. I went to my LBS to see about buying a new one. The guy in the store said it should be warranteed by cyclops. I was amazed that the second owner of a 4 year old product could get a warrantee repair, but about 2 weeks later I had the trainer back as good as new.

Great service.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Strengths:    Very good smooth resistance. If two of them didn't break, I would give it 5 stars.

Weaknesses:    First one died in 6 months, Second one died in 3 years (4hrs/wk for winter months).

Bottom Line:
I give the cyclops 2 stars and REI 5 stars. The fluid resistance unit gets very hot and must destroy some internal seal because the resistance goes way down. When this happens, I go back to REI, they take the POS and give me a new one. Cyclops must know about this problem because they are constantly changing the heatsink to better dissipate the heat. My advice is buy this unit at some place with excellent customer service so when it breaks and it will, you can get a new one.

Favorite Trail:   three corner rock

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Rollers with mag unit (mag units do not provide smooth resistance)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz superlight (XT) and Cannondale R600 (105)

Submitted by Jana Lingo a Cross Country Rider from Hershey, PA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    Works, has held up

Weaknesses:    Havent found any yet

Bottom Line:
I am like the previous poster, I use this a lot ( well there was the year I livied in Florida), and it has not leaked since I bought it back in 1997. The only thing is that grip for the wheel mount fell off in one of my moves. There is plantyof resistance, but maybe I'm too girly. it wear your tires very fast, but so will any other trainer. Any way, if their current products are as good as this one has been, I wouldn't hestate in recommending a CycleOps

Purchased At:   Southside Cycle St. Louis, MO

Submitted by Juan P. a Cross Country Rider from Potomac, MD

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    Good resistance. Never has leak oil yet. Quiet, smooth.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
I must be a total wuss or I'm just lucky! I would like to think I'm the latter. My girlfriend and I have tag teamed this trainer 3-4 times a week for two years and it has given us zero problems. It has never leaked or made strange noises. I'm very pleased with my trainer. It is also good to hear that Graber is standing behind their product.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Trail@Watershed

Purchased At:   Griffin Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn spin bikes

Bike Setup:   GT Pantera

Submitted by Donal Fitterer a Weekend Warrior from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Strengths:    Sturdy, folds up nicely, looks good, very smooth and quiet

Weaknesses:    not enough resistance, never feels like hill climbing, even in the hardest gears

Bottom Line:
I'm glad I bought it but wish it had more resistance. Friends bought the fluid+ and I couldn't tell a difference in the settings. My unit started to leak fluid after a year. I sent it in and had it back in less than 10 days. I was very impressed with Graber.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin

Purchased At:   Casper Wy

Similar Products Used:   kreitler rollers

Bike Setup:   trek 5500

Submitted by Debra Morrell a Racer from Prescott, Arizona

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    Quiet

Weaknesses:    Not enough resistance

Bottom Line:
I bought the fluid + the day after I broke my scaphoid, six weeks ago. The very first time I got on it, it made a horrible sound, sort of like a rock tumbler, and also it seemed the resistance knob wasn't working because I couldn't tell the difference between the + and the - settings. I asked my LBS to help me out with shipping it back because frankly the thought of trying to disassemble, package and ship it out seemed overwhelming with a full-arm cast.

Now here it is six weeks later, I finally get it back from the bike shop, and the horrible noise is gone but it still feels like there was no difference in the resistance settings and also even in a 42-11 gear ratio (largest gear on my mtb) I barley get enough resistance out of it. Now after reading the reviews below, I don't know if it's broken or if this is just how they are.

Between my broken wrist and this trainer I am really unhappy right now!

Favorite Trail:   West Spruce Variations

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn

Bike Setup:   MTB 24 speed

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Western Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2000

Strengths:    Quiet, smooth resistance and solid stand contruction

Weaknesses:    Resistance could be a little more for a mountain bike with lower gearing than road bikes. I really only use the 3 largest gears on my bike, so variable resistance via the gears is somewhat limited.

Don't get me wrong though, riding in my highest gear at a medium to high cadance will wear you out pretty quickly.

Bottom Line:
A very sturdy trainer that provides a smooth workout. I haven't had any leaking problems and I have used it just about every other day for the past 2 weeks. The resistance unit does get very hot (it's supposed to) and it isn't leaking like many others on this site have reported in the past.

This is the latest design from Graber. I actually emailed them before buying it asking about the leaking problems. They said some changes were made to the design, but the leaking problems in the past, they say, were related more to poor quality control at Cycle-Ops, not a faulty design.

So if there was a bit more resistance I would give it 5 chilis, so for now 4.

Bike Setup:   24 spd, MTB

Submitted by Riddler a Racer from Montreal

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I wrote to Graber complaining about my leaking problem....and believe it or not....I got a nice curtious and informative response from the Project Engineer!I'll give them 1 extra star since my last review due to their excellent customer support.The problem seems to stem from the fact that the original designers did not design the unit to take the high temperature (400F). The o-rings and seals are runner (max 250F) and have since been changed to Vitol (400F).Many surfaces that seal have had there surface finished improved to help sealing as well.The fluid in the unit can expand up to 18% so they have since removed some of the fluid to stop an excessive pressure build up.The impeller was made of Zinc (prone to creeping) and has since been changed to Aluminum.Finally, the units are occasionally tested with a leak observable die by running them at 30mph for 30 minutes.The engineer mentioned that the leak I observed after first running it may have been some assembly fluid. This may have been the case since I returned it immediately to the LBS and did not check to see if the leaking got worse.All in all, I feel comfortable with the excellent service I got from Graber and I'm sure they will honor the warranty. It seems they are investing a LOT of effort into fixing the problem.Still the unit was badly designed by the now bankrupt Cycle-ops, and these fixes must be costing Graber a LOT.They say they will redesign the unit next year from scratch...hopefully next time they'll do it right! And do some testing before you release a product....GEEEEEZZZ!

Submitted by Riddler a Racer from Montreal

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1999

Strengths:
Lifetime Warranty
Smooth

Weaknesses:
Leaks
Not much resistance

Bottom Line:
I got the lastest '99 Cycleops (it even says GRABER on the box). I read about all the leaking problems in the past. The guy at the LBS assured me that the problems have been fixed. He said they use a double seal now so that it doesn't leak. Well...it DOESNT WORK!!This trainer has a serious design flaw. The unit will not hold the fluid once it heats up. I returned my first unit when it leaked the first time I used it. The LBS was nice and gave me a new one on the spot. Sure enough, the second unit leaked just like the first. I brought it back again and this time I paid an extra $50 and got the fluid+ unit. Well, i rode this 2 times so far and it doesn't leak. I guess the fluid+ (variable resistance) unit is built differently and for whatever reason has less leaking problems. It may be because the unit is larger and doesn't build up the high pressure from overheating that the regular unit does.It's a good thing this trainer has a lifetime warranty...it needs it! In my opinion, this product should be recalled and the engineers that designed it should get their degrees revoked!OK...leaking aside.......This unit is fairly smooth. The large flywheel and fluid give it a good feel. Although, they claim to have the biggest flywhel, but I have seen other units (like the Tacx) with bigger ones.The second biggest disappointment was the resistance. I use a MTB which doesn't have super high gears like a road bike, so the resistance in the highest gear is still pretty low. I can just barely get my heartrate up to the target zone, and high heartrate training is impossible. I would need to change my gearing to get more resistance...but wants to do that?I exchanged the standard fluid for the fluid+. This fluid + option is a waste of money (except for the fact it doesn't seem to leak). The variable resistance settings (5 of them) feel all the same. Even on the highest setting it feels only slightly harder than the regular model. The lower resistance settings are all too easy.The frame of the cycleops looks sturdy, but actually it flexes a lot. It's hard to tell when to stop tightening. Also, the mounts for the axle only fit round skewers. I noticed on the fluid+ model that they changed the mounts....now the bike seems to sit way off to one side of the roller.OK..now the good points. The unit is quiet, although there is still a lot of noise from the tire, so in my opinion, it is as noisy as all the others.The unit is smooth, but not much smoother than all the others. I actually found the cateye to be the smoothest and offer a LOT of resistance (it has a disc brake).The small design is very handy, so you can bring it to warm up before races, or use it as a track stand...very cool!The platform is stable, so you can stand and hammer (if you had more resistance). Also, you don't have to look a your front wheel all the time like a roller, so you can kill boredom by watching TV.To sum up. I'd say this unit would get 4 stars if they fixed the leaking, and 5 stars if they added more resistance with handlebar actuation. As it stands, this flawed design get only 3 stars and it would get only 1 star if it didn't have the lifetime warranty. Now is that Company lifetime or product lifetime?

Cateye CS-1000
Tacx
Minura
Blackburn

MTB

Submitted by LB a Weekend Warrior from LI NY

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Strengths:
Smooth and quiet

Weaknesses:
LEAKED all over the place.

Bottom Line:
Bought the unit last year. Only used it during the winter and after a few months it LEAKED all over the place. I found out that the original company went bankrupt.
I eventually found out that Graber Products had purchased the company. Jason advised me to send the old leaky unit to the new company. Within 5 working days, I received not a fixed unit but a BRAND NEW CYCLOPS! Now that is customer service.
So far so good. Unit sounds quiet and smooth. Only time will tell. Hats off to Graber Products.

Mohonk

Cannondale R-600
Sachs

Submitted by roy a Racer from broomfield, co

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Weaknesses:
none now that Graber has taken over the CycleOps product!

Bottom Line:
I initially had loss of resistance and leaking oil on 2 different Fluid Plus units. Now that Graber has purchased CycleOps, Jason at Graber has upheld the original CycleOps warrenty and replaced both units. No more leaking or resistance problems, everything works great! Thanks to Graber and Jason for great product warrenty and a better non-leaking trainer!!

Blackburn Mag

MTB: Fisher Pro-Caliber,
Wicked Christina
Road: Bianchi XL-Pro

Submitted by Kevin Fielding a Racer from Boulder, Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Strengths:
Quiet; the progressive resistance works fine.

Weaknesses:
Leaking oil all over my floor. Can't use in the house anymore.

Bottom Line:
I felt good about it until it leaked oil and stained my carpet - it's still leaking. There was absolutely no product information in the shipping box so I don't know who to call. I purchased it through Mountain Zone and they don't honor mfg. warranties. I don't even know what kind of oil it takes or if I can even refill it. I expect it will die some day soon and I'll be out $240.00.

Zig Zag, Steamboat, CO

1 Year

First trainer I've owned.

Serotta, Ti

Submitted by Dark Star a Cross-Country Rider from Remington, VA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1999

Strengths:
Lots of resistance

Weaknesses:
None yet?

Bottom Line:
I just bought a Cycleops Fluid + from my friend. It's working great so far. Then I read the reviews on here. I sent an email to Graber since they now own Cycleops ask about the warranty coveage. This is the reply I got within 1 business day:If the unit leaks we will honor the warranty from Cycle-Ops. Be aware, that
there are thousands of Cycle-Ops trainers in use. The reviews you've read
at MTBR.COM are a small fraction of the trainers being used. Don't assume
it will leak because it was said it would on MTBR.******* *********
Customer Service Representative
1-800-783-7257
____________________________
Graber Products, Inc
5253 Verona Road
Madison, WI 53711

The Furnace

Trek 930

Norco Fluid LT - thoughts?

One for sale, the numbers all look good however theres not much info out there interms of reviews etc. It looks ideal (on paper) but are there any glaring fails? i.e. high BB etc or common failpoints?Read More »

Long DH, brake fluid heats up, lever loose modulation.

This is on Avid Elixir 7 SL brake. Will bleeding the brake helps or should I just toss these crappy Avid brakes altogether? Basically I was told the fluid heats up and cost the lever to have less travel distance before the piston contacts the disc. This only happens on long steep downhills wher ... Read More »

Cutting fluid is smoking...

...when I cut steel tubing with a hacksaw. Is this normal, or an indication that the cutting fluid isn't....well, cutting it?Read More »

Questions re Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4

So I just received my new Carbine 275 from Intense and the build kit included Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4 tires. Prior to the bike arriving, I purchased a set of NN 2.35 because I have been running Schwalbe tires for years on both 26ers and 29ers and really like them. Does anyone have experience with th ... Read More »

Debris in brake fluid when bleeding

Just bled my Juicy 7's for the first time, and when pulling the fluid up through the lever, I saw some grey looking debris in the fluid. Anyone seen this before? The bleed didn't go super well, it was my first time doing it, and I'll have to repeat, but I am wondering if this means that my system ... Read More »