CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer

3.93/5 (57 Reviews)

Take your training to the next level with the all-new 'Power Training Kit' The Fluid 2 is designed to capture real road feel through the use of a 2.75 lb individually precision–balanced flywheel for more momentum and stability of your rear wheel. Saris also adjusted silicone fluid levels for better resistance and improved the position of sealed–cartridge bearings for better inertia and an ultra quiet ride that ensures increased wattage as you increase your speed. And just like riding outside, simply shift gears to increase or decrease resistance. When you spin your wheels on the Fluid2 it feels like you're actually getting somewhere. Uses exclusive PowerTuned technology —the result of scientific and athletic collaboration. Now riding the trainer feels more like riding on the road because your wheel accelerates and decelerates on an infinite resistance curve, just like it does outside. This point of overlap is where the optimal power curve resides and is the basis for PowerTuned technology. By training on a PowerTuned curve, you benefit from the most true-to-life speed verses power contingency, no matter what speed you ride at. Constructed from sturdy, 2–inch round, 16–gauge steel and has adjustable footpads for stability no matter what surface you're on. For fast bike set–up, the exclusive quick–load cam lever lets you return immediately to the same resistance level of your last ride. And with folding legs for easy storage and an included training DVD the only thing hard about the Fluid2 is the workout you get while you're on it. Includes: CycleOps Fluid2 indoor trainer PowerCal monitor Speed Sensor Joule 1.0 computer 'Power' DVD.

Submitted by Froze a Racer from Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Solid construction, real enough road feel for me, quiet, progressive wattage increase the faster the rear wheel goes.

Weaknesses:    Actually none.

Bottom Line:
I decided after using the Fluid 2 trainer for 7 years it was time a long term report was filed here. After reading reports about oil leaking I've haven't had one drop leak. After reading how loud they were, well they never road a fan trainer because in comparison the Fluid 2 is far quieter, and you can watch TV without cranking it way up and it doesn't disturb others. Is is it dead quiet? Of course not, nothing is, but it won't drive you crazy as others would lead you to believe. Here's the facts regardless of which trainer you buy: 14mph=130 watts; 15 mph=145 watts; 16 mph=160 watts; 17 mph=185 watts; 18 mph=210 watts; 19 mph=235 watts; 20 mph=265 watts; 21 mph=295 watts; 18 mph=600 watts; 30 mph=700 watts, The Fluid 2 has a infinite resistance curve so it can more handle the above wattages. The unit also comes with a lifetime warranty, what more could you want?

Favorite Trail:   roads

Purchased At:   Summit

Similar Products Used:   Fan unit

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike

Submitted by BlueGrassBlazer a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth resistance

Weaknesses:    A little noisy

Bottom Line:
This must be a real hit/miss product because mine's been great. I've had it over two years and zero problems yet. No leaks or breakage and the mounting arm positions my bike securely. I have used the Cycle-Ops up to 5 or 6 times a week during off season and will let it collect dust over the summer. I generally ride for fitness and will ride a steady pace...gaining speed and then slowing down to a finish. I usually crank it in the middle of the workout and ride 30-90 minutes.
Whenever I hook up my bike for the winter, it's like I never left. I do have to crank up the tv when I ride but I'd expect that from just about any trainer.
This is my first and only trainer and I'll buy another.

Favorite Trail:   Hills

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Cannodale R500T

Submitted by P a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    solid feel and performance, plenty of resistence, good warranty

Weaknesses:    first unit leaked within 6 months of purchase but they sent me a new resistence unit immediately after i called customer service.

Bottom Line:
Maybe I was a lucky one but I love my Fluid II. Ive been using it for winter and rainy day workouts for nearly 5 years. My wife has used it alot as well. Between the two of us, I would guess 5 to 8 hours a week. It is very simple to use and very effective. I prefer using my road bike on it for the gearing but I think there was plenty of resistence even with the MT Bike gearing. My 1st unit got a slight leak within the 1st few months I owned it. I was immeaditely shipped a replacement unit as soon as I called customer service. No questions were asked and I was not charged a penny. They just asked me to send back the old unit. Sorry for all the folks with bad experiences but I would buy this again, no question.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Purchased At:   E-tailer

Similar Products Used:   only trainer I've used

Bike Setup:   Road and Mountain

Submitted by Bob a Racer from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth rolling. Getting bike in and out was easy. Saris customer service was good.

Weaknesses:    This is a piece of junk, period. The materials and quality of construction are sub par for a trainer at this price point. The tightening mechanism is a plastic handle attached to an "L" bolt that flexes when tightened down. Also because the way this mechanism is designed, and I use that term loosely, it is hard to make micro adjustments.

Bottom Line:
Saris should be embarrassed to put out junk like this. Do you self a favor if you want a good quality trainer look else where. I can say that I am very happy with the 1up but I am sure there are others better than the cycolops.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   I had used Performance spinners and they were a far cry better AND cheaper than this trainer. I sold this and purchased an 1up USA. I wish I would have done that in the first place. The 1up is a work of art and great trainer.

Bike Setup:   You name it.

Submitted by Rick from St.Thomas, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Strengths:    Not too sure at this point. Suposed to be a good product

Weaknesses:    Have used the trainer 4 times in my first week of ownership and it Clicks like crazy!!! It just started on my 4th ride!!! Its Aweful!!!

Bottom Line:
I wasted my money. I fell for the hype & sales pitch. The Clicking was so bad I had the stereo turned way up so I could hear the training DVD. It pissed me off so much I got of the bike and walked away. What makes it worse for me is that I bought it at a bike show from a dealer thats 2 hours away! Now I have to go back to exchange it!(if they will)
Don't waste your money on this. Four 1 hour training rides shouldn't cause this kind of problem.

Similar Products Used:   Non. This was recomended

Bike Setup:   TREK 1500

Submitted by Pam Sayler a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Strengths:    nicely packaged

Weaknesses:    loud. I felt the resistance getting easer the longer I road - researched why, and learned that the fluid they are using is effected by heat - so it was not my imagination, but actually does get easier the longer I ride...so I decided not to purchase this trainer. I need a workout, not to just spin...

Bottom Line:
don't buy this. go right for the Kinetic. it's all in the fluid.

Favorite Trail:   Paul Bunyon

Purchased At:   Freewheel Bike, Minneapolis

Similar Products Used:   Kinetic

Bike Setup:   Bianchi 928 lugged, Dura Ace, Mavic wheels

Submitted by Arthur a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, On

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2008

Strengths:    sharp looking

Weaknesses:    -clicking sound day 1
-skewer does not fit properly
-does lean

Bottom Line:
Seriously, day 1, set it up, road with the DVD in, and about 7 minutes into the ride, click, click click from the resistence unit.

I don;t know much about trainers as this is my first, but I know a defect when I hear one!

Purchased At:   on amazon

Bike Setup:   DeVinci Destination touring

Submitted by Kenny a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    nothing to compare it to

Weaknesses:    wobbles, poor quality control

Bottom Line:
I'm a bit disappointed so far, but we'll see if the manufacturer will help me out. My main issue is the bike wobbling and leaning to the left.

The skewer doesn't completely go into the left cone, so there's one source of the instability. Next, the threaded bolt that forms the left cone has a lot of play in the hole you thread it into, as though it's the wrong diameter. Lastly, there is play at the right support due to the handle cylinder/cone being a bit smaller than the hole it goes into. one side seems to be stiffer than the other, and the bike will lean slightly to the left, preventing symmetrical motion.

Purchased At:   bikeguyswarehouse.com

Bike Setup:   2006 specialized roubaix comp

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2007

Strengths:    Puts out a tremendous amount of resistance, relatively quiet, very durable.

Weaknesses:    A threaded fastener that holds the resistance unit against the wheel has failed twice (promptly replaced by Graber Products).

Bottom Line:
I ride on the trainer *a lot* (4500 miles in the past four years). The resistance units have constantly failed including on the first Cycle-ops trainer that I owned. I heard that Graber Products had purchased the company. Graber Products sold me their Fluid II trainer for $100 as a warranty replacement. I wasn't happy about speinding $100 but after I used it I am very happy. This is the first durable trainer that I have owned. I highly recommend it for anyone serious about trainer riding. At speeds > 15 mph it is capable of putting out an amazing amount of resistance.

Purchased At:   From Munfacturer

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, Older Cycle-ops company, a few others

Bike Setup:   Road bike on this trainer

Submitted by Alvin Goodrich a Racer from Berwick, Maine

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, Fairly quiet

Weaknesses:    Moments of squeeking, Its a trainer: nobody really likes them!

Bottom Line:
I am a mountain biker who road bikes to be a better mountain biker. I absolutely hate riding trainers, but sometimes maine winters render outside riding impossible. I have put a lot of miles on this trainer over the three winters that i have used it with no problem until tonight. I broke the skewer and need to get one to replace it as a regular skewer will not fit. It has been a great product all in all.

Favorite Trail:   Hogback

Purchased At:   Bicycle Buys .com

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Glory

Submitted by Darcy a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB Canada

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    Rock Solid construction. Road like spin. No levers to switch to change the tension. Extremely quiet. Very smooth and not jerky at all. Easy to set up and move around.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This is a superb product! I hesitated buying it as the reviews were not as good as others. The local shop assured me that this is a high quality trainer; and actually recommended it over the Kenetic which I was planning to buy from them. After using it - I could not agree more. I did try the Kenetic out as well and would not rate it any higher in spin smothness or how quiet it is. The Kenetic was also more expensive at this shop

Similar Products Used:   Kenetic

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Six13 DuraAce

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Santa Monica

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Strengths:    Stable, easy to lock bike in it and take bike off trainer with the quick release feature.

Weaknesses:    VIBRATION!!

Bottom Line:
I had high hopes for the Fluid 2 based on the generally favorable reviews posted here. Unfortunately, the trainer had a horrible vibration at one particular speed. If I sped up or slowed down, the vibration would go away, but the band of vibration was in a very usable speed/resistance zone and thus I wasn't able to live with it. I called CycleOps and they were very good about sending out a replacement resistance unit. However, the replacement also had a virtually identical vibration zone. After two bad units (which the CycleOps rep explained was due to an incorrectly balanced flywheel), I decided enough was enough and returned the trainer. I bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine instead and it doesn't vibrate at all. Bottom line, maybe I just was unlucky and received two unbalanced units, but word to the wise, if you buy one, make sure you get it at a place that takes returns.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Sullivan

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Kurt Kinetic Road Machine

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Cross-Hairs with touring tires

Submitted by Greg a Racer from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    I got a great deal on this second-hand trainer and figured that in spite of some bad reviews, I had nothing to lose. To my great delight, after two years of winter training (not to mention the miles from the previous owner) I've had no problems at all! I've found the resitance to be very adequate with road-like smoothness. I bought one for my buddy (the fluid2 pro for about $200 from Performance with coupon) to get him riding and he's loved it, no problems. About a month ago I dropped the thing (by accident) from shoulder height and shattered the handle. I called cycleops and they replaced it for free! No questions asked. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:    No wattage hookup like on the new Kurt Kinetic trainer. Resistance unit is good, but recently it's been a bit finiky if I overtighen it on my wheel.

Bottom Line:
If money is an issue, look to buy this at $220 or less. It's the best deal at the low $200+ range and plenty of smooth resistance even for high-wattage racer types. But, if you can afford in the $400 range, then think about the Kurt Kinetic with wattage meter.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Kurt Kinetic (2002 version)

Bike Setup:   Surly Pacer, full DA/ultegra, ritchey wcs wheels

Submitted by Brian from Roseville MN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, good mounting system. Very quick.

Weaknesses:    Well, I fell for it. I knew CycleOps had problems with leakage before, but I was assured their new design eliminated that. It started leaking after two weeks of use. I returned it and bought a Kinetic Road Machine instead (awesome).

Curious about the new design, I found an explaination on Kinetic's website. Basically, CycleOps uses an O-ring to keep the fluid in the fluid chamber from squirting out. Unfortunately, this O-ring is wrapped around the driveshaft that is rotating at 1000's of RPM's. It doesn't take a genius to realize that eventually this is going to wear out. That was their old design that associated them with leakage, so you would think they would learn from this and redesign it. Nope. Their solution was to simply double the barrier... have two O-rings instead of one. I guess it helped, but not in my case.

One other note and reason CycleOps leaks, is that they use a viscous oil that expands and loses viscosity when heated. (My only reference on this is the Kinetic site, so take it with a grain of salt) Not only will resistance lessen as the unit heats up, but the expanding fluid will push through the seal. Kinetic uses a silicone solution that does lose viscosity (I'm not sure how big of a deal that is) or expand when heated (which is a big deal). That's just plain old smart.

Bottom Line:
I went into this thing just looking for a hassle-free situation. It turned into a mess. Get a Kinetic instead - they ride better in addition to not leaking.

Purchased At:   Machinery Row, Madison