Blackburn Trak Stand Ultra Trainer

2.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Ultra smooth. Ultra quiet. Ultra-realistic resistance. The new TrakStand Ultra features our CENTRIFORCE resistance unit with a centrifugal clutch for amazingly smooth, silent and progressive resistance that feels just like a hard ride on the open road. And unlike magnetic and fluid trainers which lose speed quickly, CENTRIFORCE has a smooth rollout when coasting, so your pedal stroke feels more natural in the dead spots or when you ease up on the pedals.

Submitted by jeremy a Racer from Nibley, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2010

Strengths:    Worked for about 1 month no problems

Weaknesses:    Resistance is inconsistent. Went from super easy to burning my fingers as I touch the metal after a work out.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy... you will hate it and not just because it's a bike trainer... it's because it's absolute garbage!

Purchased At:   Al's Sporting Goods

Submitted by robinkc a Weekend Warrior from kansas city Missouri

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    stand

Weaknesses:    design

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it. After about 10 minutes it overheats and shudders,and won't let you spin,I've taken it apart like 40 times to see if I could lube or clean, I've used comet,alchol,wd-40 at various times. This is my last week on it I ride it an hour 6 days a week.I'm buying mag trainer.Now I just drop my sweat soaked towel on the roller friction plate when I'm done.he he.

Favorite Trail:   streets

Purchased At:   internet

Bike Setup:   easy

Submitted by Hubinsczki a Cross Country Rider from Ephrata, WA USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy construction of frame and positive clamp for wheel.

Weaknesses:    Terrible consistency of resistance. Clutch pad glazed after a few hours and worked well after cleaning, but an hour later was grabby again. Now it has started hopping and jumping into very high resistance from nearly none.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this trainer. A shop demo will not help as the friction/resistance inconsistency will not show up immediately.

Favorite Trail:   Seven Summits

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cycle-Ops

Submitted by Troublelaurak a Cross Country Rider from Kensinton, Maryland

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Easy set-up, height adjustable stand that doesn't make you prop up the front wheel.

Weaknesses:    Should have a better instruction sheet/book that tells you about lubrication needs. I had to call customer service to get that info. Why isn't it at least on the web site?

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews right after I purchased this beast and wondered if I'd made a mistake. Nope - it is terrific. I should clarify - I am a bike commuter not a recreational rider in the sense that others here might be. I bought the trainer to help me rehab after getting hit by a car. It is great and I expect to enjoy it every winter when I normally take the bus! I initially had a problem with the spotty cadence issue mentioned by others - that was solved by correctly positioning the rear tire - using toe-clips can help too, and don't stand up when you ride. One gripe: I had to call the factory to find out about lubrication! They told me something like axel grease is the best idea. I used a lithium grease - works great. Use a very thin coat! The units do NOT come lubricated from the factory.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Place

Bike Setup:   Trek 7500 MultiTrak

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2008

Strengths:    Well constructed

Weaknesses:    I agree totally with the spotty resistance. One minute I'm ripping out a good speed in about the same gear I would be if I was outside, then the next, it's super hard to pedal. Cadence and speed drops without changing any gears. I've taken the thing apart, cleaned it, but no difference. I just can't figure out why it would change like that (all things remaining the same). Doing Spinerval DVD's, I fall way behind in the cadence when the resistance changes.

I'd like to hear more about this problem if anyone knows anything.

Thanks,
Luke

Bottom Line:
As noted in weaknesses.

Overall, I'm not happy with this trainer and wish I had a computrainer!

Purchased At:   McPhails Waterloo

Submitted by Sylvain a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2007

Strengths:    Realistic resistance that simulate a real riding.
Fast and easy installation, good construction, low noise, adjustable height, so the front wheel don't need to be raised.

Weaknesses:    Need to be maintained.

Bottom Line:
This unit is a mechanical clutch, the construction is simple. This unit need to be lubed periodically just like a bike after about 10 hours of spinning. Be carefull not to contaminate the two friction surfaces with lubricants. Don't use liquid lubes as it will be thrown away by the centrifugal force and may even contaminate the friction parts. I found the grease used on car brakes to be efficient, it don't melt when heated by the unit. It's good to clean the balls and their cavity then grease it. Only use a thin coat of grease about the thikness of a business card, too much is bad.

Purchased At:   bikerman59 on ebay

Bike Setup:   Specialized

Submitted by ramon a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    No front wheel stand needed. At slow speed coasts like a stationary spinner or slow road ride. fairly quiet

Weaknesses:    I have done about 300-400 equivalent miles of riding on it. the resistance is very spotty. It will be smooth and allow you to go 20 mph, then get very hard and you will struggle to have 15 mph (at 90% heart rate). I got exactly what Craig said. I took it apart cleaned everything put it back together. It has a brake pad much like a car. I don't know if it is supposed to be dirty or clean. I have had mixed results when it will spin freely allowing you to participate in a spinervals video, and then be so hard you are aneaerobic, at the same RPM in the same gear. The damn thing is a poor design. I ride about 100 miles a week so Im not a racer but more than a weekend warrior. You can't use this thing if you train seriously.

Bottom Line:
Poor engineering design not covered in the instruction manual. This is designed for "casual" training, like maybe for people doing rehab.

I am very dissapointed...right now I can't do my high cadence workout, but I can do a low cadence strength workout. I work 65 hours a week and it has been raining a lot here so I need this trainer to keep in shape for the weekend rides. I will try cleaning it again, but I just cleaned it 2 spinning sessions ago.

Favorite Trail:   RockyHill ranch

Similar Products Used:   cycleops fluid trainer, real spinning trainers, open road.

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1 Pro with cadence and speed on rear wheel.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    Crafty

Weaknesses:    Resistance

Bottom Line:
I had high hopes for this trainer. After reading such good things about the 1up and everbody saying this is the same unit. I'm not so sure. I've never riden the 1up but my blackburn had serious resistance issues it would spin easy for an hour or so like 20mph with little effort then get real hard and you'd be going all out to go 13mph, and every once in a while would vibrate. I finally got a hold of someone First I cleaned the Friction pad off about 6 times when that didn't help they sent me a new RU. Vibration gone and consistant resistance for the most part, but super hard. max effort to go 13 and just didn't feel right. So I bit the bullet sent it back got my money back except for the $36 return shipping. I got a Kurt right after I've done around 700 miles and 2 months of hard training and couldn't be happier with the Kurt.

Favorite Trail:   Fisher creek and Emerald Lake

Similar Products Used:   Minora, Kurt Kinetic

Bike Setup:   For the trainer its 1.5 slicks with a wirless speed sensor to rear and Cadence sensor

Submitted by JAY a Cross Country Rider from Dirty Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Strengths:    quiet, sturdy, no wheel block needed, good looks.

comes with extra bearings to increase resistance

reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    to adjust the resistance requires dis-assembly of resistance unit. not the easiest to mount and dis moount the bike but it does hold tight

Bottom Line:
i got this on sael so that was one reason for the purchase, the first reviewer here claims its similar to the 1up and seems to have a similar resistance mechinism so thats a selling point. sleek looks and solid build. very low noise, seems to have fewer possible issues like leaking fluid.. so far i rode it for 30 minutes, the stock resistnace at first felt weak but after shifting through gears and finding a good pace it does provide a great work out, plus i can swap out the bearings for a higher resistance.

over all very pleased so far.. i cant say my recomendation holds much weight due to my lack of experiance with other trainers but as a rookie with this thing im deffinately not feeling buyers remorse..

value i give it a 4 because its onteh higher range of the average trainer cost but you do get a quality product

overall i give it a 5 for the quility of construction and smooth quiet operation..

Purchased At:   Campmor

Bike Setup:   trek 820 with slicks, i ude this bike for road adn bike path riding and now for the trainer

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Strengths:    Identical to 1UpUSA's highly rated trainer. same flywheel & resistance unit. The height adjustment is great, no need for a riser block for the front wheel.

Bottom Line:
I tried MANY trainers over the years, and have never before found one I liked other than the 1Up. This one is just as good, but you get to try this one in actual stores.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood