Blackburn Trak Stand Fluid Trainer

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Blackburn Fluid is smooth, quiet and progressive, with a resistance curve that accurately replicates the feel of the open road. Wheel Size: 700c, 650c, and 26". Frame Material: CrMo Steel. Resistance Setting: One Progressive.

Submitted by olvegrn a Downhiller from San Diego, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy build

Weaknesses:    LOUDER THAN DUMPTRUCK, resistance screw unscrews with high vibration

Bottom Line:
I picked this thing up at an REI used gear sale. It is really loud, and really ruff riding. The resistance screw unscrews itself as you ride, makeing it easier to pedal at higher gears. I noticed that when I am on it, I am bent to the left, there is too much play in connection points, thus making it off center. I give it good value rating because I paid only 90 dollars for it. overall rating low due to ride and sound, but still lets you workout lightly while watching TV.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard Rock Sport (MTB)

Submitted by Lostin Houston a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    Seems very sturdy (heavier than my road bike).

Weaknesses:    I thought it would be smoother if it were a fluid trainer. Probbly my naivete, but seems to me a friction band would feel the same.

Bottom Line:
Maybe this review should only be read by persons who have never bought a fluid trainer.
I spent $270 on what was supposed to be a great trainer and I wanted to return it within 5 minutes. It is probably my fault that I expected "true road feel" to feel like riding on the road. This trainer felt basically like I was riding a very cheap excercize bike with no flywheel what so ever. Maybe all fluid trainers are like this, I didn't expect the rear wheel to stop from an estimated 20 mph in about 1.5 seconds when I coasted. It vibrated like hell once I started to get close to a reasonable cadence (i'm no racer but I ride 4+ times a week)

I will atempt to get my money back tomorrow from my LBS or get credit towards a trainer that seems less like riding a tricycle uphill in the sand.

I give 2 chilis on value because it obviously isn't worth $270 if it is basically a viscous clutch. I give 3 chilis overall because it seems well designed to bolt on to a bicycle.