American Classic Rollers Trainer

• 4-Drum Roller available for $329.95

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by doug

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2013

Strengths:    great for balancing leg spin and smoothness.

Bottom Line:
    Have an American Classic rollers trainer with the double roller front (four rollers) for sale in perfect condition. I moved to Ca. years ago so the roller trainer has just been sitting. The first $99.00 takes it and this includes a brand new drive belt!
    Contact:
    dougseidewitz@gmail.com

Submitted by ddfisch a Racer from Ecublens, Vaud Switzerland

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    resistance matches bike ride feel, great for balance, feels like you're really riding

Weaknesses:    Noise

Bottom Line:
    Great feel. Took about 5 minutes to get used to the sensation of pedaling on ice! I was pleasantly surprised at the level of resistance it provided, yet the ride feels smooth and solid. I did snap one of the connecting bands that turn the front rollers, but considering the age of the unit, I'm not too concerned. For now it's working well with just one band and I'm super motivated to either repair or replace the 2nd one!

Favorite Trail:   la Venoge

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Elite Fluid trainer

Bike Setup:   Douglas Fusion, Ultegra

Submitted by scott summers a Racer from goldsboro nc wayne

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    I've been riding and training on my American Classics since 1993 and after all these years I still Love them. When I ride them I do so for an hour at a time. I have the classics with the 2 small rollers in the front. I think they have the closest road like feel an indoor trainer can provide. The rollers I have are getting kind of raggid now and plan to purchase another set real soon. I recommend them to anyone that wants to better there fitness, spin and overall bike handling skills.

Bottom Line:
    by far the best ever

Purchased At:   alaska

Bike Setup:   road

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    I bought this unit (American Hybrid Classic Bike Rollers- the type with 2 small rollers for the front wheel) on eBay recently and have only spent a few minutes using them.

Just wanted to mention that American Classic no longer makes these units ("stopped making them years ago and no longer honor warranty"- according to email from company rep).

Also, the smaller front rollers do provide more resistance than the usual larger roller, which may suit some folks.

I have used rollers before (sold 'em when I moved) and generally found that everything is more manageable if the bike wheels are spinning fairly rapidly. Thus I prefer hard tires and low roller resistance.

There is a well-designed 'bike support' which locks the front of the bike via handlebar clamps and fork positioning bars which turns the rollers into the equivalent of a stationary trainer- good for one leg pedalling and such things.

Main rollers seem well built, but time will tell. I'm waiting for the weather to turn nasty before I pedal indoors!

Weaknesses:    No warranty- company no longer supports this product. Generic belts will fit.

Bottom Line:
    Good quality; high-resistance with double front rollers; no warranty or company support.
    Should last forever with generic belts and if you ever trash the bearings(unlikely) they are standard industrial units.
    Kreitlers would probably be a better bet if you could get them at a reasonable price.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Used rollers for a couple of winters 10 yrs ago-forget the brand.

Bike Setup:   Basic old-school road bike with Campy.

Submitted by Rick a Racer from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
    The American Classic 4-drum rollers are superior to any trainer I've tried and have put countless hours on mine. The drum bearings seem as smooth as when I first assembled the rollers and the bands are just now showing signs of wear (after 8 years). Also, the inherent resistance works great.