1upUSA CPR A-2000 All-Aluminum Trainer

4.78/5 (107 Reviews)
Weight : 16 lbs. MSRP : $299.00

• Centrifugal Pressure Resistance (CPR) provides the most realistic simulation of riding a bicycle ever
  • CPR resistance technology outperforms fluid, magnet and wind trainers
  • Functional range for continuous operation from 4 watts (5 MPH) to over 3,000 watts (42 MPH), the widest range of resistance in the industry Fluid free, NO LEAKS! CNC machined with less than .001 run-out
  • Six-inch diameter, six-pound all-aluminum flywheel (largest on any trainer) provides a smooth ride with 38 seconds of coast-down
  • Three-inch diameter all-aluminum roller (largest on any trainer) extends tire life and provides the quietest ride of any trainer
  • Foot operated Quick-Release allows you to load your bicycle in only 3 seconds
  • Telescoping front legs allows you to lower the rear tire to the floor for level riding, no riser block needed
  • Vertical height adjustment for any wheel size, even kids bikes
  • Beautiful deep blue and silver anodized light weight all-aluminum construction
  • Folds down to only 6 inches thick for compact storage
  • Comes fully assembled and ready to use
  • Guaranteed for life

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jj

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2013

Strengths:    I've used it for several winters now and while I prefer riding outdoors, when there is too much snow and freezing weather this is the only way I can get a ride in.

Weaknesses:    Not riding outside but the best I've found for indoor training

Bottom Line:
    I like the way it feels. The resistance is very progressive. In my highest gear I can rid out of the saddle to simulate hard climbing. it is quiet and smooth. Easy to set up and in the summer it stows flat to fit under a bed and doesn't take up much room. After several winters I can see that it will likely last me many years more as it is a quality construction. My contacts with the company have all been very useful.

Submitted by stanley kowalski

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use. High quality components. Competitive price. Small footprint. Quiet (but it doesn't cure knobby tires on a MTB, of course).

Weaknesses:    Depends almost entirely on the gearing of the bicycle for its resistance. Do you have a low gear cassette back there? Too darn bad.

Bottom Line:
    Mountain bikers beware! Road bikers, no problem! This device depends entirely on the gearing of the bicycle for its resistance. No problem for any road bike. For mountain bikes that can be a problem. I have to put it in high gear and breeze along for about 45 minutes to get any kind of a workout. All in all, its like a brisk walk around the neighborhood. To be fair, I had a lower gear cassette put in a few years ago when I wore out the cassette it came with (Raleigh M80). But I'm pretty sure there are quite a few bikes like that out there, with gearing like mine, including and especially some high end models. I have read some of the reviews that said something about having the factory send special ball bearings to fix this. Evidently that was a different design. The company had no such thing when I called.

The device is otherwise easy to live with and use, well designed, with obviously high quality componentry. Calling it a work of art or the components "aircraft quality" is probably a bit much.

I particularly resent that there is absolutely no warning about this on their web site. I gave it two chilis instead of three for this.

Submitted by Dennis Taylor a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Strengths:    Easy and quick set-up. Rear tire is close to the floor so no riser block is needed for the front tire. Smooth progressive realistic resistance. Guaranteed for life.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I'm from Alberta, Canada. Because of the weather up here if a person wants to cycle year round you'll have to have a trainer of some sort. I've owned or still own a lot of trainers including the top ones from Cycleops and Kurt Kinetic and others from Blackburn, Cateye, Minoura and Tacx. Nothing out there compares to the 1up-USA trainer in terms of smooth progressive realistic resistance. On top of it's practicality, it's a beautifully designed and constructed trainer. Simply put, there's nothing else out there like it.

Favorite Trail:   Paddle River Dam trail.

Duration Product Used:   3 months.

Purchased At:   1up-USA.

Similar Products Used:   Kurt kinetic Road Machine. Cateye cyclosimulator. Cycleops magneto Pro.

Submitted by JWT

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Well built trainer, AMERICAN MADE! Great customer service

Weaknesses:    Like most trainers, it doesn't provide enough resistance for mountain bike use.

Bottom Line:
    I had read that you can change the resistance on the 1up model, but it turns out that was a different year's model. The resistance on the unit is at best riding on a flat road at a medium exertion level...no hills or standing riding is possible with a mountain bike.

Submitted by Richard43 a Cross Country Rider from Cavan, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use, nicely weighted flywheel and responds well to increases in speed.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
    I bought this trainer almost 10 years ago and it has continued to work flawlessly. I had a good trainer but after reading about this trainer I decided to try it for myself. I have never looked back.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Cycle Ops Fluid

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Hammer Race and Serotta Atlanta.

Submitted by kpj a Racer from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    The quality of construction and the ride conditions are superb. the increase in resistance with speed is perfect. And the range is essentially infinite simply by changing gears on the bike. The massive flywheel is great for simulating actual road conditions.

We keep this in my den for training and it looks like a work of art! Its gorgeous. It is extremely easy to load a bike without even bending over- can use your foot on the cam to lock the bike in place. I use it more often than my old ones since it is so easy to set up.

This trainer is essentially totally silent as it uses mechanical friction. The only noise comes from the drive train on the bike. I can train and watch TV with my wife and she is comfy. With my previous high end fluid trainer the noise of the shearing the resistance fluid with the blades was very unpleasant to both of us. I took it back.

the bearings are super smooth.
    They have lifetime warranty and their customer support is highly regarded.

Weaknesses:    I dont know of any. Based on my evaluation of the design I am confident I can keep this trainer going for decades with less risk of failure than any other trainer. It will outlive me.
    I read dozens of reviews of this on this web site. I am not seeing any of the weaknesses mentioned- clearly they solved any problems from the older models, if any then.

Bottom Line:
    this trainer is far superior to mag trainers and fluid resistance trainers. It will never leak. And the progressive resitance curve is much better than for mag trainers.

And its about the only one left made in America! And I got it for the same price as a fluid trainer made in China.

And it is a gorgeous work of engineering and an art piece.

And the best the one to ride.
    its a no brainer. Buy it with complete confidence.
    And watch the USA prosper with your training.

Purchased At:   online from manufact

Similar Products Used:   mag trainers. Highest end fluid trainer.

Bike Setup:   Road bike and mountain bike

Submitted by Johnny Airtime a Weekend Warrior from Little Rock, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent engineering, attention to detail,high quality hardware, precision machining, portability, solid, heavy duty

Weaknesses:    The solid billet flywheel doesn't fold down to a paper-thin wafer to fit in my wallet

Bottom Line:
    This fantastic piece of work was about 10 years old when I contacted 1up USA to mention something and ask a question about the bike trainer. They sent me a free shipping label, no questions asked. I shipped it to them with a note explaining what I wanted to tell them. They rebuilt the whole thing with new 2011 parts and made it totally up to date like a brand new 2011 model! Got it back in a couple of weeks, and I could not be more totally stoked! I didn't even have to ask them for anything at all! Their customer service is unmatched. Thank you, thank you 1up USA!

This is one aircraft quality piece of equipment. I'm the kind of guy who researches the hell out of things and tries to buy the best. If I can't afford the best, I'll get the best value for the dollar. It's obvious why MTBR gave this bike trainer the "Best Of" award 10 years straight. It exudes quality. Although it's expensive, you've got to decide: do you want to live with a half-assed flexy-flier bike trainer, or do you want a super high quality, strong, quiet, precision machined, aircraft quality, durable, portable, beautiful, heavy duty trainer that you can live with for the rest of your life?

Buy the best when it makes sense to go big or go home. It only hurts as you pay for it, but the superior performance makes you happy for the rest of your life. When you buy a half-assed piece of bargain basement trash, it only feels good as you pay for it, but you walk out the door with it and the pain lasts for the rest of your life. Let this apply to everything you buy that you have to live with.

I'm so happy with their product and service that I'm going to buy their Quik-Rack as well, and I don't even need it! It's just so TRICK. I'll need it someday! God forbid they go out of business and stop making these great products!

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Glades

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Expert w/brain shock, fox forks, 26" rims, SRAM X.0 derailleur w/ 3x9, Wippermann Connex 9sX chain, Avid Juicy 7 brakes with Swisstop green pads w/kevlar/ceramic/brass/resin composite, Avid G3 Cleansweep 203mm front rotor, Sunline V-One pedals, carbon fiber Merek bars, Ritchey short stem, carbon fiber Marek seat post, Cane Creek seat post spacer, carbon fiber Marek 2011 saddle, black OGK carbon fiber water bottle holder,

Submitted by NoviceTriathlete a Weekend Warrior from Bartlett, IL

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    Simple to mount the bike. Well made in USA! Silent. Stable. Worth more than the price I paid for, features-for-features. Way superior to competitors.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
    Best trainer in the market. Cannot speak highly enough of this product in terms of performance, quality, factory support and value. Highly recommended for anyone looking for the best trainer for the money,

Purchased At:   1Upusa

Similar Products Used:   Kurt kinetic pro, cycleops

Submitted by Al Sanders a Weekend Warrior from Glencoe, IL

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    I bought my 1upUSA trainer about 8 years ago, and have never had a problem with it. Very well made, and very quiet. I can get as hard of a workout using this product as I want. I use it during the winter while watching videos. The resistance on the 7.5lb wheel is amazing.

Weaknesses:    None, I love everything about the product.

Bottom Line:
    I would never buy another trainer.

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Bike Setup:   I ride my road bike outside, but I have my old triathlon bike on the trainer.

Submitted by rollenrob a Racer from Roseville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth and very quiet. Even resistance with road-like feel. The bike mounts in seconds with very easy foot operated mechanism.

Weaknesses:    None so far,and I've had it just more than a year.

Bottom Line:
    I have the newer black flywheel unit that has been out for over two years. The older model with the brake-pad like material, did have some issues, but when I called 1up, they assured me the old issues no longer exist. The newer model trainer, with the black flywheel now has a white pad that does not create any dust what so ever.

The resistance for the past year has been very consistent. This trainer is extremely quiet, and the only noise while training is from the chain. My old trainer sprung a leak, and whipped oil EVERYWHERE. So I purchased the 1up trainer and have been very happy with my purchase.

The 1up trainer also does not require a riser block. You can actually lower the trainer down to level the bike. HOW COOL IS THAT?

I highly recommend this trainer to any type of rider. I train about an 1hour /day , and so far it has performed flawlessly. I give this trainer 5 chili peppers for one sweet ride!

Purchased At:   1upusa.com

Similar Products Used:   CycleOps Fluid 2

Bike Setup:   Fuji ABSOLUTE 3.0

Submitted by biking_brian a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Build quality is exemplary, like a surgical instrument. I don't think I will ever wear this thing out. Realistic resistance curve.

Weaknesses:    Inconsistent resistance, particularly during warmup of the clutch plates. Clutch plate dust. Incompatible with most of today's quick release skewers. See below.

Bottom Line:
    My experience with the 1up has been up and down, with the biggest issue being inconsistent resistance at constant speed. First off the clutch is grabby for about 5 to 10 minutes at the start of a ride, presumably until it warms up (or accumulates a layer of clutch plate dust?). I've cleaned the bore holes and even gone to smaller bearings than stock just to ensure they'll move freely through the channels. But at irregular intervals the clutch will increase to a leg-breaking resistance, even though I'm maintaining a constant speed. After a minute or so of grinding, things are back to normal.

My only theory on the seizing at this point is accumulation and shedding of the clutch plate dust during the workout, ie, the dust acts as a dry lube.

On the matter of that dust, make sure you set up on a towel or a hard, easily swept surface and do not situate the clutch in front of anything that's hard to clean. The dust can be tricky to get out of carpet, upholstery, etc. On the other hand, _way_ better than a fluid resistance blowout I imagine.

And my minor quibble is having to use the old-school wheel skewer when fixing the rear wheel into the trainer. Just a bit of inconvenience, swapping skewers in and out.

All that said, when the clutch is happy, the thing is a dream. I generally just do steady in-saddle effort on trainer rides and clock in at about 165#, so the frame's always felt rock solid to me and minimal tire slippage. With some fiddling of the bearings I have a great range of useable resistance to work with. And this thing could last long after I'm dead; workmanship is outstanding.

Maybe it's just this particular unit that has gremlins. I have not reached the point of contacting 1up because the clutch grabbiness is not driving me crazy. Nonetheless and unfortunately, my experience has been only three stars.

Purchased At:   ww1upusa.com

Similar Products Used:   None--coming from a set of Kreitler rollers.

Bike Setup:   My road and TT bikes for the trainer. I ride a mountain bike too, but don't use it on the trainer. And I forgot my RBR logon, so the review is here on MTBR instead.

Submitted by Lee. O a Cross Country Rider from Redlands, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    Build quality. Ride. I had one of original version rode daily. Wore out one of the vertical posts where interfaces with bottom tube. I expected 1up to ship a replacement part; instead, they shipped a partly used new version of the whole trainer. This trainer holds up, is smooth, and doesn't leak oil over the carpet.

Weaknesses:    I would like a more convenient way to adjust resistance.

Bottom Line:
    This is the best I have had. Warranty is second to none. Well engineered and made.

This seems to good to be true- but it is.

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   cyclops, blackburn, minerva, nashbar, performance,

Bike Setup:   De Rosa Campi road bike

Submitted by Wyo a Weekend Warrior from Lander, WY

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    A great trainer. I ordered it based on the reviews and I have no complaints. It's quiet, well built and feel it will be the last trainer I'll every purchase. I made some adjustments to get my bike dialed in and they were simple to do.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Glad I spent the money. Def. an expensive unit, but well designed and built to last, so in the long run it will pay off. I agree with some that there are suspicious reviews posted here and other places on the web, but this product lives up to it's claim and thankfully,not made in China. The only thing I foresee is that with mountain bike gearing, I may need to increase the resistance in the future, but will need to cross that bridge then. Overall, very pleased.

Favorite Trail:   Those with dirt

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Rollers

Bike Setup:   I have my Rocky Mountain Element 50 with a 1.24" slick.

Submitted by pgodman a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
    Great trainer. Have tried a few and this provides very good resistance. Solid construction. If you have to train indoors, this is a good trainer to do so with.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail is a good trail

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by BikeNclimb a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    Nice solid construction. Use aluminum for most part, but has steel for the heavy stress areas(bolts/axle cups). Fairly easy to set-up. Very quiet and smooth. More adjustments than most other trainers. Lifetime warranty!!!

Weaknesses:    Can be tricky to set-up initially (follow the directions). Changing the resistance may be difficult for some not mechanically inclined. Somewhat heavy (but not more than other trainers), and a little pricey.

Bottom Line:
    I ride both on the trail and the road. I wanted a trainer since riding in the winter around here is less than stellar between the closed trails and crazy drivers. I did some research and decided on getting either the Kurt kinetic Road Machine, or the 1UpUSA CPR A-2000. The 60 day trial and lifetime warranty ultimately made my decision on the A-2000.

I must say I'm impressed with the construction. The base is very solid and wide. The CPR unit is quite ingenious. The plate that holds the clutch material is made of aluminum which helps to dissipate the heat. The bearings used are gigantic 1" sealed cartridges. The skewer included with the trainer is a low buck model, but does the job nicely with it's tapered ends. It's simply sounds engineering.

I tried the unit today for about half an hour, and found the experience unusual but not bad. having never used a trainer before I knew it wasn't going to feel exactly like a road ride. The unit is very quite, as my drive-train makes more noise than the trainer. However, I can still watch TV or listen to the radio without blasting the volume. Coasting from speed does last a good amount of time, and would be longer if I was using a heavier wheel/tire/tube combo. I will update my review after I put some more miles on it.

For those that are having issues with slipping tire on the unit here are my suggestions. Make sure your tire is a slick/road tire first (knobbies aren't for trainers, and they're make all kinds of noise). Follow the directions to load the bike into the trainer. Inflate your tire to 70-80% of your desired pressure. Contact the CPR unit against the tire as much as possible, and then inflate to the desired pressure. Another problem could be that the gear combination you're using is not high enough. Bump up to the next gear on the crankset. Trainers are designed for continuous use and not hole-shots. Gradually build speed to maximize the resistance.

Overall, this is a great product for the money. It's built to last and has a lifetime warranty. You also have 60 days to try it and if you don't like you can send it back for free. Not much to lose except maybe your time.

Favorite Trail:   Shaffer Farm

Purchased At:   1upusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd a Performance Bike trainer.

Bike Setup:   Trek 2100 with compact crankset