Home | Reviews | Tools | Wenger

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Wenger Swiss Army Biker Knife

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    DURABLE very Durable, All the tools are strong in the most part. I've used almost all of em except for the can opener can't figure out why they put that there.

Weaknesses:    Not very good when you hand are wet or muddy to open any of the tools due to the fact that they have a bad happen of sticking sometime. But I'd rather have em stick than open up in my bag. A little heavey if you care I don't.

Bottom Line:
This tool unlike alot of others have passed the test of time. I've had it for more than two years now and let me tell you its always come through in a pinch. This tool is responsable for saving my ass more times than I can count and Its always been there. I don't know it it's still made but if you do find one buy it you won't regret it it's a good addition to any tool bag and if you not a weight freak like so people you can just troe int in your bag. All the tools including the chain tool work and let me tell you when you tire is cut open with about a two inch gash and you need to cut the old tube to make a quick tire patch for you now scewed up tire you'll be thanking yourself for having a sharp knife. This tool has gotten me out of other trouble like broken chains and even getting long ass thorns out of my arms that are now lke a big splinter If you find it buy it you can't go wrong!

Favorite Trail:   Any Single track

Purchased At:   Out of business knife Store

Similar Products Used:   Tools at home Cannondale allen wrench kit, Craftsman allen wrench kit. But mostley this tool

Bike Setup:   Specilized Stumpjumper FSR XC Disc

Submitted by a Weekend Warrior from Redmond,WA,USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    Something useful that actually looks cool.

Compact design.

Good set of tools that you won't leave at home.

Four models to choose from (with or without pliers). The Serrated Cyclist is pretty much a standard Swiss Army with a Uni-Wrench. My favorite, the Pocket Mountain bike is probably the most compact and useful with a blade, chain tool, 5mm, spoke wrench, 10mm hex wrench, phillips and standard screwdrivers, cap lifter/opener. The larger models add pliers and other tools.

Excellent quality.

Weaknesses:    Sure, it's not a Park Micro Tool Box, but I will fit in your pocket when you are just going out for a quick spin and you will use the knife more than you think.

The 5mm and the screwdrivers pretty much do it for me on my bike, so it works great.

Bottom Line:
I always seem to leave my other tools at home when I am just "going for a quick ride" that ends up lasting all day. As usual I need a tool for something. I carry the regular Wenger Pocket Mountain Bike Tool all the time so I always have it with me.
Buy a Park Micro Tool Set for the long adventures, and buy a Wenger to carry all the time. You won't be disipointed with the Swiss quality.

Similar Products Used:   Park Micro Tool Set, Standard Allens, and all four of the Wengers.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab 1, XT hubs, Sun Mammoth Rims (the never true again rims), Bontrager Tires, Titec Hell Bent Seat Post, and the O So Comfy WTB saddle.

The bike isn't neccessarily light, but at 225lbs, I need something a little more beefy.

Submitted by Geoff a Weekend Warrior from Richmond

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
Compact design with knife blade, chain tool, Philips screwdriver - excellent quality

Weaknesses:
No tire levers, one 5mm allen key

Bottom Line:
I was fortunate to get mine as a X'mas present. An interesting knife, mine has the World Cup Special edition graphics - almost too pretty to use on the trail. I use mine more as a Swiss Army knife rather than a bike tool. The can opener, bottle openers, screwdrivers and corkscrew all work well. It is a high quality product. However, only one 5mm allen key is included. So if you plan to use it as a bike tool, you may khave to change some of the allen bolts to 5mm. Also, you must have a set of tire levers as well.

2 Years

Blackburn Mountain Tool, Leatherman PST

Rocky Mountain Spice with RS Indy

Submitted by S Lee a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Comes with a knife?
Toothpick

Weaknesses:
Not a dedicated bike product designed by bikers for bikers
Not comprehensive list of tools built in
Heavy

Bottom Line:
Responding to DB's query below, if you're looking for a multi-tool with chain tool, the Swiss army knife would not be my first choice. I got it as a present from a well-meaning father-in-law, but it's not really a biker's product.Although I haven't really had to use the chain tool yet, the small parts make it tough to operate especially when the Shimano chain pins are already quite tough to push thru.
Furthermore, the knife does not have the full range of allen keys, etc so one has to carry another multi-tool as well. I ended up junking it (can't even remember where it is now, come to think of it) and stay with my old Rhode Gear.
The newer tools from Topeak looks more promising. If it is a chain tool you are looking at, get a dedicated one.

2 Years

Rhode Gear
Finish Line Chain Pup

Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by DB a Cross-Country Rider from Virginia Beach, VA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
Does anyone own this tool? Reviews for other multi-purpose tools say the chain repair component is weak. Check it at Looking for feedback and retailers. - Thanks

tested or demo'ed only