Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

Topeak Super Chain Tool Tools

Weight : 105 grams MSRP : $14.95

The Super ChainTool includes a hardened steel chainTool (suitable forShimano and most other models), plus 5 and 6mm hex keys.The perfect pocketTake-a-longTool.

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from State College, Pa

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2008

Strengths:    Small, Compact, Efficient

Weaknesses:    Quality, Durability, This is a one time use tool.

Bottom Line:
Really a disappointment... I should have read previous reviews before I purchased this thing. Used to break a new XT chain down to size, but bent its drive pin in doing so. Then when I went to drive the new pin into the chain, it drove it in crooked. Brand new chain! Brand new tool! Both ruined after using this piece of junk for the first time.

Similar Products Used:   The one at the bike shop that has broken hundreds of chains and still works like new.

Bike Setup:   XC NRS: Easton Carbon, Shimano XT, Avid Mecs., Geax Tires

Submitted by freddie a Cross Country Rider from Harbor City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    Absolutely NONE!

Weaknesses:    Like the previous post, the chain breaker failed on me almost immediately.

Bottom Line:
Bought this to take along with me on rides. Wanted something light but functional. Turns out this P.O.S. is light and cheesy. Took the product out of the package and tested it on a Dura Ace chain. Took a lot of effort to break the pin free. Tried it again and this time the effort was once again hard, but this time the pin warped and the chain could not be split!

There isn't nearly enough shelf support to keep the chain from twisting as you are using this product. Also, the pin is made from what appears to be paper clip metal. I've been wrenching for 15 years and I can say that this tool is a f#$*@n joke. SHAME ON YOU TOPEAK!!

Get the Specialized EMT for take along rides. It isn't perfect but at least the parts are made out of real tool steel.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized EMT, shop model Park chain breaker.

Bike Setup:   Used it to on a Dura Ace chain.

Submitted by Mervyn a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    Compact; has the chain hook for convenience.

Weaknesses:    One of the pins or plate that holds the chain link broke the second time I used it. Unless I received a defective unit, I can not recommend it. The unit can still be used, but my confidence level in the product is very low and I would not want to take it on trips,

Bottom Line:
I bought the product on my vaction six months ago to replace a Cyclo Rivioli Chain Tool (purchased from from MEC) that I kept in my pack and it failed the first time I used it.

A chain tool (for most people is something that the carry with them for emergency purposes and use very periodicly (lik a car jack), but who want to know that it will work in field conditions when you ned it.

Favorite Trail:   Jumping Pound Ridge