Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

Topeak MK2 Emergency Tool Kit Tools

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Seven function tool kit housed in a custom case, mounted to your bike with a pump clip. Features: Includes 5&6 mm Allen wrenches, universal chain tool, handle unscrews to double as a leverage bar, 5 mm aAllen drives pin, 2 tire levers, and a patch kit. Has 4 patches, sand paper, 1 tube of glue, and one chain hook.

Submitted by Storker Moe a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1999

Strengths:
Has *almost* anything you need, compact

Weaknesses:
Durability, lacks 8mm hex wrench and philips head screwdriver

Bottom Line:
Have been using the set for two years and I've been able to solve almost any problems occurring on the trail, except tightening the crankarm bolt (the set lacks an 8mm hex wrench). As remarked by others, use it sparingly, because it's not made for frequent use. The box is losing those nice little ears inside that keeps things in place, and the chain tool is toast. After 10-20 times' use, the threads are gone and the pin is bent. I've never felt for attaching the box to the frame, as that would be another thing to lose. It fits as well in the small seatbag next to the spare tube and the CO2 cartridge as attached to the frame. Four stars if you only use it occasionally, three if you need to use it more often.

2 Years

'97 GT Avalanche

Submitted by Simon Hancock a weekend warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Both me and a friend have this toolkit and it has saved us from the long walk home quite a few times, BEWARE - the chaintool if not used correctly will bend.
Other than that a great all round toolkit.

Submitted by ED a cross-country rider from novi,Mi

Date Reviewed: December 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

What everyone else said is basically right. Its great to mount it to your frame and not worry about it. It is not a strong tool kit--use it sparingly. I ride with 4 other people and i'm the only one with the kit. after using so many time to fix other people's bikes, the chain tool isn't doing too well.

Submitted by Sean Pamintuan a weekend warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Topeak really but together a useful and compact product. Being able to mount the Topeak minipump with it is a nice touch. I already used it to repair a broken chain, a loose seat, and a mangled V-brake. I liked it so much I bought one for my road bike.

Submitted by Carlos J. Montanez a weekend warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

This product solves several problems for me. In addition to providing adequate toolset, this unit is rattle-free, looks good, and in my case, frees-up space in my hydra-pack. There is no better place for adjustments than in the field, and this toolset has everything necessary. I wouldn't use these tools for regular stuff but only for emergency.

Submitted by adien a weekend warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought this tool kit six months ago. It works great for emergencies, saved my but a whole bunch of times. Its lite-weight and compact design are its best est assets. Sometimes I forget that I've got it under my saddle. Its only problem is that it isn't too strong, the ends are deforming. But like I said, it should only be used for emergencies, not regular use.