Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

Topeak Hummer 16 Multi Tool Tools

4.07/5 (14 Reviews)

Perfect for everyday cycling. 16 tools fold into engineering-grade plastic body for easy carrying.

Submitted by Mark Redwood a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Strengths:    It's got pretty much every tool you need in handy fold up size. It's quite durable. And it has a chain breaker.

Weaknesses:    It does rust if you don't oil it - lesson is keep it oiled. Tyre levers are so so - I don't use them unless I have to.

Bottom Line:
This baby has saved me and my mates from walking back with a broken bike on so many occasions, it's now my best buddy - I feel naked going out without it (",).

You really can use it to overhaul your bike - I slip it in my pocket whenever I'm test riding the bike and use it to make any final adjustments. I used it once to strip and rebuild a mates v-brake on the trail which ended up rubbing on the rim because the LBS had put one of the springs on back to front when they serviced it.

On the chain tool - it works fine, BUT you have to make sure you line the tool up properly - if you don't line up the pin you'll either break the tool or bend the pin. Secondly chain pins are flared at either end - when you push them back in you risk damaging the sideplate, which is why I always carry an sram powerlink - they cost pennies, and they'll get you back on the trail in half the time, and things are less likely to go wrong.

Purchased At:   it was a present

Submitted by joey aldrich a Weekend Warrior from haslett, Mi,USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Strengths:    It has most of the tools that I needed to work on my bike in the when I was "away from civilization."

Weaknesses:    I broke the chain tool and the tire levers do not stay on the unit anymore.

Bottom Line:
I liked this tool alot so I used it very frequently. Althought it eventually fell apart, I definately got $20 worth of use out of it.

Favorite Trail:   burchfield

Purchased At:   disck sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   I now have a topeak alien 3 and it is sweet.

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized hardrock w/ Hayes sole, Shimano SPD-m505, and
alivio shifters

Submitted by Dougs McQ a Cross Country Rider from Dunners

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    Compact, nearly everything you could wish for.

Weaknesses:    Chain breaker! Guess this is the case with all small multi tools: compromise. The chain breaker has weak tolerances in it's machining. Therefore either you're going to break it or break your chain... total cost to me: 1 chain, 1 rear derailleur (becasue when I fixed the chain it bent the outer link...).

Bottom Line:
If you're going to get a multitool, buy a chain breaker separately.

Favorite Trail:   telecom

Purchased At:   Halfords

Submitted by Tim Hilton a Cross Country Rider from St. George, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    The metal doesn't get destroyed easily.

Weaknesses:    The plastic does.

Bottom Line:
What I said earlier. Oh, and I just snapped a tire lever.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   I meant to say Jamis Dakota, sorry. I had the Dakar specs open in another window and was thinking about buying one. I also just got a Haro Instinct. Bottom mounted brakes, baby! If anyone knows where I can get some WTB brakes, please tell me.

Submitted by Timothy Hilton a Cross Country Rider from St. George, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    The metal doesn't get destroyed easily.

Weaknesses:    The plastic does.

Bottom Line:
The tool was worth the money for the almost 4 1/2 years I've been using it, but it's tome I step up to The Alien. This tool is pretty good other than having to tighten the allens on the side all the time and flimsy plastic. I used the chain tool four times before it broke, so that's not good. The metal is high quality. I have been using it as pretty much my only tool for all my bikes (I have 5 that I ride often) and the allens and screwdrivers haven't stripped. That sixteenth tool (the huge allen wrench) slid off and I can't find it.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Late 90's Jamis Dakar Pro (modded to sub 20 lbs)XT and no suspension.

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Garden City, MI

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2005

Strengths:    many useful tools, excellent chain tool

Weaknesses:    Tire levers, durability

Bottom Line:
This is a good, but not great product. It has a host of tools, including common allen sizes, screwdrivers, a chain tool, tire levers, and a couple other doodads. The allens are good and strong, and the chain tool is simply fantastic. The tire levers, however, are exceptionally weak and I actually broke mine trying to fix a flat. Believe me, I was exceedingly displeased to wind up walking two miles because my tire lever failed.

However, my big complaint with this tool is the durability. I was using it to make a quick adjustment in the parking lot when it basically exploded. The allen screws that hold everything together had both backed themselves out after only moderate usage. I was able to put it back together (using the lever that manipulates the chain tool, coincidentally), but it's never been quite right since. Now the tools are super hard to pull out, and if I loosen the allen screw, it'll just fall out.

My final thoughts: This is a great tool to carry with you for some trailside repairs, etc. Carry a set of tire levers in addition to this thing, and you'll be set. However, the durability seems pretty lackluster. Therefore, I am giving only a 3 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Bike Setup:   K2 hardtail

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    Has everything you need

Weaknesses:    Tire levers are weak if your tire are tight.

Bottom Line:
It hasn't left me stranded in the 5-years I've been riding with it.

Bike Setup:   SJ FSR Expert

Submitted by hamish mcclatchy a Weekend Warrior from christchurch

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    nice, small and quick and easy

Weaknesses:    Tire levers can be lost and the one i didn't lose broke. When will someone produce some super strong levels that are indestructable
the best i have used I found on the road and it was un named
that eventually broke too

Bottom Line:
buy if you only put weak soft flexityres that won't break your average tire arms
Spoke tuners are poor
but all the allens are good and strong
a bit more leverage would help though

Favorite Trail:   port hills (chch)

Purchased At:   25

Bike Setup:   N-zone slacker with Marzocchi jrnT's

Submitted by Chris b a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Strengths:    a good lightweight multi tool with almost everything you need.

Weaknesses:    tire levers are weak and SHARP?!! Be carefull when changing a tube with these they slice right through tube like a steak knife

Bottom Line:
I bought this tool because I wanted to get rid of all of the hex keys, chain tools, tire levers in my pack. Well I and going to put back my tire levers because the tire levers on this thing don't work well and they are sharp. I really like all of the tools and they work well except for the tire levers. This is a good tool with a lot of tools and not too heavy. The wrenches work very well and have stood up to year of trail side quick fixes and adjustments BUT keep your tire levers handy because you'll need em. I give it five flaming cheeseburgers for value becaues it was under $20 not bad. But 3 overall because the tire levers are worse than changing your tire with a butter knife.

Favorite Trail:   Powhite

Purchased At:   Goodly's

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Cannodale multi tool, jamming about 10 different shop tools in my Camelback.

Bike Setup:   Two different Mountain bikes full suspension.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Strengths:    Possesses every tool you are likely to need or use on anything but a multi-day epic, all in a small, handy, lightweight and cleverly designed package. Very well thought out.

Weaknesses:    Plastic frame, while up to the task, trades some rigidity for lighter weight.

Bottom Line:
This is the only tool that you need to carry with you on any ride lasting less than 24 hours. Lightweight, compact, highly functional.

Favorite Trail:   Sea Otter Loop

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    Has almost everything you need. Will not break when you need it. Cheap to replace if you leave it on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Tire levers are wimpy, spoke wrench requires severe desperation to use. Screwdrivers tend to flop over. No valve-core wrench. No cone wrenches (I carry a 8/10 park cone wrench as a backup). A bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
This tool is awesome and it fits delightfully well into the Dakine waistbelt pocket on my Vertical Pro pack. I'm always the 1st person with a tool available whenever anyone breaks a chain or needs to adjust their seatpost. If you've used very many other combo tools, you probably know that usually the chain tool is horrible. Not so with the Hummer, its chaintool is as good as a full-size chain-tool and they've cleverly included a wire hook to hold the chain together while you mess with it.

With so many bikes having Schrader Valves on Shocks/Forks, I think it is time that the manufacturers include a shrader valve core wrench. The Hummer could easily sneak one in somewhere.

Even though I gave it a bunch of "weaknesses", I still think that if you're only going to buy 1 tool, the Hummer should be it.

Favorite Trail:   less travelled

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey (crap), Park (loose tool-pack), Topeak MacGuyver and Alien (both try too hard and end up being hard to use), Cool Tool (very good, but out-of-production), loose tools (best function but heavy and easy to lose)

Bike Setup:   Dakine Vertical Pro pack with 100oz Camel Back bladder and Topeak Hummer in the waistbelt-pocket.

Submitted by Arnidog a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oreogon

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Strengths:    Has it all for the cross country rider

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Gots its all for a multi tool!! and it's light too. No Rust or weak components.

Similar Products Used:   Cool Tool

Bike Setup:   GT Single Speed with sissy bars and a banana seat

Submitted by Alon a Cross Country Rider from La Verne

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    All the tools you need in one small device. Including disk break (star tool) if ever needed, and chain repair tool.

Weaknesses:    Only had a few weeks and already rusting. TOPEAK really should splurge and use stainless steel. Quality Control.

Bottom Line:
Great combination of tools. But rusting I could do without. 2 Value chili's cause rust. Overall 3 because versatility would have been five if no rust appeared.

Purchased At:   Foothill Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Park Tools, no rust durable.

Bike Setup:   Stock Enduro Pro

Submitted by Lenny Taylor a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, California, USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Strengths:    It's got everything you need for "standard" repairs and adjustments

Weaknesses:    Folding tools can be hard to fit into tight areas. I've had to disassemble it once to use a tool apart from the rest of the kit.

Bottom Line:
This is the tool that the owner of the local bike shop keeps in his pocket when he rides. It's got everything you need (within reason) without all the extra stuff that you'd never touch. When my new bicycle arrived, I used the Hummer to assemble the entire bicycle! And at the price offered at REI, I was doubly pleased. They're almost $10 below most of my LBS prices. This, along with my spare tube, is the primary item in my wedge pack.