Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

• Tool Material: Hardened Steel
  • Body: Engineering Grade Plastic

Submitted by EMrider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Good selection of basic tools.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality construction.

Bottom Line:
The "frame" for this multi tool is relatively weak plastic.

I needed to loosed a 6mm hex bolt on my stem. It was on tight, but nothing excessive.

As I increased force, I felt the tool twisting in my hand. Unfortunately, the hex bolt didn't budge and the twisting was the plastic parts holding this tool together breaking apart in my hand. Now I can't apply and torque with any of the hex tools.

This design is a POS.

I can't believe that Topeak felt this product was acceptable.

Don't waste your money.

Submitted by quietcornerrider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Compact, Good Assortment of Tools, The chain connector wire is ingenious, good solid construction

Weaknesses:    A *little* heavy

Bottom Line:
A great tool overall. I have fixed every problem I and my band of riders have encountered on the trail with the help of this tool. I have not experienced any problems with the chain tool, unlike others. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've fixed about 8 chains so far, and have nothing bad to say about it. I suppose if I had to nitpick, I could say its a tad heavy, but I really don't notice it in my pack. Everything seems top notch, no complaints.

Submitted by Cheese Legs a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Everything you need to in one unit. Easy to pack. Easy to find in your pocket. The hook for holding a broken chain, during a repair job, is a nice touch (replaces my old greasy twist-tie).

Weaknesses:    crank for chain tool is not built well enough.

Bottom Line:
The strong Alan wrenches are fixed on the hinges, with the chain tool. So, they had to put another metal Alan head on one of the removable, plastic tire irons, for use as the crank for the chain tool. A clever design, but on my last chain repair the plastic couldn't take the torque. Now the metal Alan head spins in the plastic handle. My chain tool is now useless (unless I carry a separate Alan wrench). I will replace the entire multi-tool. I like the features and compact size, but I need a tougher build.

Favorite Trail:   Short Hills

Purchased At:   bike show

Submitted by Natedogz a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2009

Strengths:    Compact, versatile, has all the tools to do trail-side repairs.

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy, but it's mostly metal....so no way around that.

Bottom Line:
Great little tool that fits right in my Camelbak and has been used for adjusting all sorts of things (brakes, seats, bars, stems, cranks, pedals, etc.) on my bikes and other peoples' bikes. Resized and repaired several chains with it and no problem...gotta take your time when repairing chains with any chain breaker, especially during chain reassembly. Highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Other larger tools out of my toolbox....too big and heavy to put in my Camelbak.

Bike Setup:   08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29er with some mods.

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Strong construction, useful tools

Weaknesses:    Plastic sides seem flimsy

Bottom Line:
Definitely worth picking up for the $25 I paid for it. A well-constructed tool. the chain tool is a major plus.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta Park

Purchased At:   Z's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Random tools

Bike Setup:   2007 Trek Fuel EX6

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Folsom

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    Has all the right stuff for working on my bike on the go. Allen heads, screw drivers, tire irons (plastics).

Weaknesses:    It's flimsy. The first time I NEED to use the chain tool, miles from home, the POS breaks. Crappy cast metal. What good is a multi-tool like this if it's going to break when you need it?

Bottom Line:
Mine broke when I needed it. Find something you can depend on. Not this.

Submitted by will price a Cross Country Rider from hereford,uk

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    quite strong (although i snapped the tyre leaver but got a new hexus, yay cause mine was scratched badly and dented, hehehehehehe, im a pikie)

the tools are great and they can take a real battering

the tool is really unique and has many features u only learn about after using it for a while

Weaknesses:    chain tool pin and tyre leavers (if you have very tight tyres considering buying topeaks shuttle leaver 5/5)

Bottom Line:
the multitool for its price but beware of the chain tool pin (it snaps sumtimes :(.)

Favorite Trail:   haugh wood

Similar Products Used:   topeak mini 18

Bike Setup:   trek 8000 stock

Submitted by Iwan Kemp a Weekend Warrior from Kuilsriver, South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Versatile
Compact
Quality

Weaknesses:    $$$

Bottom Line:
Great all-in-one-tool. Ingenious design and top quality. Could be on the expensive side, but is truly top quality and got a deal at my LBS.

Favorite Trail:   Eden