Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

Topeak Alien Tools

4.51/5 (134 Reviews)
Weight : 220 grams MSRP : $39.95

The Alien Tool 22 Function Folding Tool This one you will want in a real jam. Self contained and easy to access, with 22 functions it's the right tool for any size job. In the tradition of your favorite Swiss Army Knife, once the job is done the Alien's multiple tools fold easily back into their hardened plastic case, always ready for action. Light and small enough to fit into your pocket, you won't even know it is there until you need it. Moulded plastic body provides an excellent gripping surface while using tools and opens into two tool halves with a press of a button. Features: All tools fold into engineering grade plastic body for easy carrying. Tools include: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 mm two piece Allen Wrenches 8, 9, 10 mm two piece Box Wrenches Philips and flat head screwdrivers A universal chain tool Spoke wrenches for 14g and 15 g two tire levers. A Stainless Steel knife and a bottle opener Size: 3.4 x 1.8 x 1.5 inches

Submitted by Trailiac a Weekend Warrior from West Haven, CT

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
I received this as a gift about 8 years ago. I used it heavily for a few years and then took a hiatus from biking. I recently got back into it, but somehow during the last couple years, I managed to lose the bolt for the chain tool and the wrench that attaches to the outside. I called up Topeak and for less than $10, both pieces were at my front door in 2 days! That's some damned good customer service.

Now, after all this time, my tool is still good as new.

5 fiery buttnuggets across the board...

Purchased At:   Gift

Submitted by boscoboy a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, DE

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    all the tools you need for trailside adjustments

Bottom Line:
I have used this tool for years with no problems - folds up nicely and fits into small spaces - has all the common needs -I left it in the car once and had to borrow a no-name tool to adjust my seatpost and it snapped right off. If i ever lost this I would buy another that same day

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Bike Setup:   2000 Supercaliber XT/XTR

Submitted by Auggie a Cross Country Rider from Sandy Eggo

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    Has almost everything you need for the trail, including a pair of tire levers! Sturdy nylon pouch with fixer-thingy-attachy-point. Splits into two pieces for easier handling or using two tools simultaneously.

Weaknesses:    Bulky, square turd fits awkwardly in my seat wedge. The fixer-thingy-attachy-point adds additional bulk to pouch. If you wanted to mount the pouch on the bike directly (which I wouldn't do because its just one thing to fly off in mad crash) you have buy the bracket (2 styles-stem or bar/post) separately. Doesn't include pliers.

Bottom Line:
I've had this now for 8 years and its been both my trail-side tool that has gotten me out of all the jams I've been in, as well as a general purpose garage tool supplementing my auto tools when performing bike maintenance and repairs.

Besides the bulkiness, the only lament I have is that it doesn't come with a plier tool and I was contemplating carrying a compact Leatherman for that purpose (more weight and bulk). But I guess Topeak has listened to customers and their new Alien DX Multi-Tool comes with a plier for pulling on cables during trailside repairs!

The Alien II can be had online now for roughly $25. The new Alien DX for $39.

Overall, if price and not having a plier along is more better for you, I would definitely recommend the Alien/II.

Otherwise, my choice would be the new Alien DX (which I will review when I finally receive it and put it to use).

At $25, the best value for what it does! Dropped a hot poop for missing a handy all-purpose plier tool.

Favorite Trail:   Any that will prolly cause me to face plant hard

Purchased At:   BikeUSA

Bike Setup:   Custom '08 S-Works Stumpy, Crank Bros Cobalt XC rims.

Submitted by ysaroya a Weekend Warrior from Isarael

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    got everything you need inside and more!
the kit is modular, you can split ti in to 2 pices for more clerance and easy handelling.

Weaknesses:    abit havy (but i dont mind it)

Bottom Line:
when i go for aride i like to be prepared for anything, this tool give me confidence cose it's got all the tools inside.
saved me more then one time (helped me convert to a singlespeed when my rear druiler got yanked out taking with him 3 spokes from the rear wheel. 50 miles from no where...)
if you ride xc you can sattrl for a smaller toolkit but if you go on long rides in hard terrains you need to be prpeard for enything...dont think twice...it's alife saver!

Submitted by Tom K a Racer from Orland Park, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Solidly built. Tons of tools

Weaknesses:    bulky and heavy

Bottom Line:
I think I have had this tool for close to 10 years. I got it as a gift shortly after they first came out with them. I may have gotten it x-mas of 1998. It has gotten tons of use of the years and still performs better than any other multi tool i've used. A small piece broke off the body of mine that makes the two tools no longer clip together, but everything else has been wonderful.

I don't there is a tool on it that I haven't used many times. Sometimes for rides or races I take it out of its case and put 1 tool in my right jersey pocket and the other in my left. Just to keep the bulkiness a little less.

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   various cheap multi-tools

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 98
trek XO 1
Specialized Stumpjumper (SS converted)
trek 1000

Submitted by Gerd Wichers from Vriezenveen

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    The thing has the exact amount of tools. I am a recumbent biker and it's equally fair with recumbents as well. There are not too many tools in the Alien, but all the possible nuts and screws have been considered before it was issued.
I don't fail on any; perhaps a canopener like the Swiss Wenger or Victorinox could do.
At this moment of writing the review I am considering to buy the DX. Strong would be a good wire cutter, but I read a review that that particular tool is not functioning properly.

Weaknesses:    you can loose it.
Perhaps the plastic parts might have been given a bit more stiffness. For my tight 20"tyres, they bend a bit to much.
Perhaps the people of Topeak thought about the cranktool it to be used with some aditional help. I am not going to be negative on it but it may be a weak thing to use in practice: my cranks are just too tight with my pedals that I can open the thing.

Bottom Line:
The tools I have with me during travelling include a Leatherman Crunch, a Buck Whittaker and this Topeak Alien.
I still try to find some good and most lightweight combination of tools but this Topeak Alien is most efficient. Perhaps an improvement on a reliable cable cutter would make sense?

Favorite Trail:   Jacobselv Norway

Purchased At:   Niphuis

Similar Products Used:   I tried to get a tool with equal consideration for the needs of the bike but did not find any.

Bike Setup:   Challenge Hurricane; Rohloff Speedhub; Son; Shimano XTR Discbrakes; some Rockshock damper.

Submitted by LegendaryMrDude a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    Compact, great range of functions, sturdy and heavy enough to notice when you've not got it with you.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy, no Torx heads, some tools don't "lock" so get a bit wobbly under load.

Bottom Line:
I've had this for nearly 5 yeas now and never leave home (on the bike) without it. Small enough to fit in a saddle pack on a road bike and comes with all the tools you're likely to need on the road/trail. A tough nylon pouch keeps sharp edges and loose tools in place, but an elastic band does the same job and it's lighter. Not the cheapest, but I've not found anything else that comes close.

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Plenty of no-name multi-tools and various individual items

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8, Giant XTC850, Giant TCR Team

Submitted by Kurt from Deep River CT.

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    I have used this tool many times. It has everything you need. It works perfect for my bike.

Weaknesses:    the only weakness for this product that I have is that it is bulky and heavy

Bottom Line:
A Must Buy

Purchased At:   gift from sponcer

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    Well built. Has many functions.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This is the best tool I've ever used! While it's a little heavy, it works better than every other cheap multi-tool i've ever seen. This includes other Topeak products. I would recommend this to anyone. The only thing that would be better is if it were lighter, but then that would compromise quality.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 2, XT setup

Submitted by Mike Gomez a Weekend Warrior from Norwalk,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Strengths:    I'ts got pretty much everything I need to fix anything on my bike. Compact

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side but well worth it with all the tools you get.

Bottom Line:
this tool is great, you can be pretty confident that you won't stay stranded somewhere because you don't have a certain tool to fix something. You can practicaly put together a bike with this thing. I got it for $11 but the regular price was about $30. A little pricy but well worth it. It's probably one of the better tools Topeak has made.

Favorite Trail:   Unal Trail

Purchased At:   Performance bikes

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by Sky a Cross Country Rider from Aiea, HI

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    Great Tool, always has everything I need, easy to carry on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Watch out for the little allen that can fall out when you take the wrench off.

Bottom Line:
Awesome tool, Sturdy. Compact size and splits apart. Couldnt really ask them to cram any more tools into such a small size.

Similar Products Used:   Misc Multi tools

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk - SS Conversion

Submitted by PJ from Toms River, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Compact design, has everything needed for trail-side repairs

Bottom Line:
I have used my Alien for almost every bit of work I have done on any bike I have had to repair or adjust.

Purchased At:   Kim's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Most other mini tools out there

Submitted by r. grenier a Weekend Warrior from geneva, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Strengths:    very useful, compact, durable, has all the necessary tools for "on the go" repair, and a bottle opener for a nice cold one after a good ride.

Weaknesses:    can't attach it to bike, torx bit falls out sometimes, nothing a little tape can't take care of.

Bottom Line:
good tool to have and well worth the money. doesn't replace a good set of shop tools, but does it's job on the trail. recamended to anyone who needs a good set of tools while on the trail or road. this tool will get you out of most mechanical problems experienced while riding.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere i can ride

Purchased At:   dick's sporting goods

Bike Setup:   mountainsmith approach, stock.

Submitted by Dan M C a Weekend Warrior from Moldova Noua,Caras-Severin,Romania

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    Nice package,apears to be a quality product,very versatyle and compact.

Weaknesses:    Made in Taiwan...?,why not made in the US or Europe ?,a little expensive at $ 60.00 !

Bottom Line:
Nice products from Topeak but to think that they charge so much for them is upseting.I'm replacing a Schwinn made bike tool kit that cost less than half and that one too was made in Taiwan...and you know what they look alike...go figure;do they charge more for the name ? can somebody answer that...Topeak are you reading this ?

Favorite Trail:   The Danube trail

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Other generic products.

Bike Setup:   You name it,on my Trek stuff from Easton,Thomson,Sony,CCM,Selle Royal,Cat Eye,Specialized,Continental,Axiom,Mesinger,Kryptonite,ETC.

Submitted by ISK a Downhiller from London, UK.

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Strengths:    Outstanding tool in every sense. It gets huge use with me, both on the trail and in London every day as I ride daily through the city for work. Compact, very strong, excellent design, solid, well-built and good value.

Weaknesses:    Honestly can't find any, except I stabbed myself in the finger with the blade the other day - but that just showed it was still sharp after all this time!

Bottom Line:
One of those rare cycling moments - a product which really is worth the money, and seemingly faultless.

Favorite Trail:   Vail, Co.

Purchased At:   Mosquito BIkes, London N1.

Similar Products Used:   None, and can't see a need to.

Bike Setup:   Scott G-Zero P2 with discs fo rthe trail and an own build courier effort for city.

Alien MTB trail, Aztec,NM

Sign up at trail head saying trail will be closed starting 9/29/2014 for BLM parking project.Read More »

Alien Run - Garmin VIRB Elite

1080p @ 30fps Garmin VIRB [video=vimeo;101733162]https://vimeo.com/101733162[/video]Read More »

The Alien Run - Video

Five minutes of a fantastic loop in NW New Mexico - enjoy! [video=vimeo;101733162]https://vimeo.com/101733162[/video]Read More »

It's Good to be King - The Alien Run

I had fun making this video - 3 hours of footage narrowed down to five minutes. Happy weekend everyone - have a great ride! Welcome to the Alien Run! [video=vimeo;101733162]http://vimeo.com/101733162[/video]Read More »

Topeak Alien 2 vs Alien 3

Is there any real advantage of getting the alien 3 over the alien 2? Regards CCRead More »