Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

Topeak Alien XS Tools

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 167 grams MSRP : $21.49

The Alien XS 17 multi-tool embodies almost everyTool you may need onTheTrail.The lightweight 17 functionTool includes allThe common size hex wrenches, 8,9,10 box wrenches, Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, chainTool, bottle opener, and so much more. 2,2.5,3,4,5,6,8mm hex wrenches 8,9,10mm box wrenches Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers, 14 & 15g spoke wrenches Clip bag Stainless steel knife

Submitted by robbie mor

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2014

Strengths:    The Quality of metal used is outstanding and it has everything a cyclist needs including bottle opener...which does double as a flat screw driver!

Weaknesses:    minor things like the clip that holds the two parts together is ineffective and you have to adjust the tension on the hinges now and then
Having a locking mech for the posi head might be useful but then having the more rotational movement is handy.

Bottom Line:
I've had this tool for about 5-6 years and it's probably the most used tool i have, i can't sing it's praises enough. i have large strong hands and probably tend to over tighten bolts etc and its never shown any sign of weakness, for that reason i can't believe any review that said they broke it or its weak! as for sharp edges..i guess i have thick skin :)
I guess these days the little ring spanners are used infrequently and the inclusion of a knife might be seen as little excessive but I've got to admit it's been handy (recently sliced a hole in the side of gator skin, used the knife to cut a piece of plastic to reinforce the hole and get me home!) finally a torques head driver might be useful.
Over all i would say it's maybe a little dated but if you have an older bike it's ideal and should last a life time of occasional use.

Submitted by esso a Cross Country Rider from philippines

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    the chain remover that was included in the multi tool easily broked.the plasctic handle gets easily crooked when you use it and the other tools loose when you use it and makes it hard to use. this product sucks

Bottom Line:
would not recommend it this. product sucks!!!

Favorite Trail:   cavite trails

Purchased At:   sabak sports & adven

Bike Setup:   giant nrs3, fox f90 fork

Submitted by Knowlton a Cross Country Rider from East Dover, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    tools, looks, size

Weaknesses:    strength

Bottom Line:
This is an OK tool. the one big flaw in it is that plastic holder for all of the tools. this is weak. My brother tried to screw somthing in with this, and the plastic handle snapped from the strain! there doesnt seem to be any other big problems at the time though.

Similar Products Used:   alian

Bike Setup:   gary fisher sugar 2

Submitted by Horace a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight, compact design, reasonable tool selection

Weaknesses:    plastic tire levers (which I'll be loath to try and use), some tools don't lock, tool-housing arrangement may make some jobs unreachable

Bottom Line:
Clearly a closeout, so don't pay too much attention to the price. TJ Maxx won't restock this item either. Their inventory is based on opportunity. Why Topeak sought to dump some of the XS at a store like this, who knows. Also saw Topeak Joe Blow and mini pumps at the store.

I just commute, so it is probably a bit more tool than I need at any given time But I couldn't get the park aws-9 or topeak folding tool for this little money. Thought about the higher end Aliens and in fact a metal housing would probably make the tire levers usable. Though in most cases I just use my hands for tire stuff.

Tis a shame someone doesn't make a bike directed Leatherman. What I really wanted was a stripped down leatherman with a few fixed allen heads (I know, Victorinox, Gerber, Leatherman and Coast Cutlery all make models with hex sets but if it isn't attached, things like that eventually get lost). I'd have paid plenty for such a gizmo. The XS is a sorry concession on that score, but at least it has a knife and bottle opener.

I'd say "weekend warrior" is about the speed for this tool. Any more than that and you probably need the chain tool and a better housing. I like previous reviews which have pointed out that this is all about applying the proper tool to the proper job. This thing is intended to deal with emergency situations. Real bike repair requires real tools. Don't confuse the two.

Anyway, time will tell what strips and what doesn't. I've seen poor reviews of Topeak pumps and the Q Beam rack, but the tool reviews always seem favorable. I fully intend to follow up with customer service if it craps out quickly. Thusfar it has performed adequately.

Purchased At:   TJ Maxx - THANKS TO PREVIOUS POSTERS!!

Similar Products Used:   park mt-1c, topeak x-tool, topeak folding tool

Bike Setup:   gary fisher gitche gumee 2000

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Clovis, NM

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    Price seemed reasonable.

Weaknesses:    Don't know. I haven't had to use it yet!

Bottom Line:
You read it right! When I saw the Next Alien XS at Wal-Mart for $15, I had to take a closer look. It's the same multi tool with the same weight, same tools, and most important same trademarked name! The case has the Next logo on it , but otherwise it's the same too. Not the stongest quality tool, but very-good for a multi tool.

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   Not important

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Glastonbury, CT

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    It works excellent and it was under 20 bucks

Weaknesses:    You have to buy the chain tool separate...that's a hassle.

Bottom Line:
This tool works great. There's every tool I need except for that pesky chain tool...but you pay less for not having it I guess

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Purchased At:   TJ MAXX (seriously)

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Micra 17

Submitted by Brad Herder a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfield, MA USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    Quality - stainless steel tools.

Weaknesses:    Design. Useless tools.

Bottom Line:
Yes - this tool is probably one of the highest quality multi-tools you can buy.... BUT...

I just DON'T like it. It takes up too much room in my seat bag. I've hung it off the bottom of the seat bag and have put it in without it's case... but it's just too bulky. Having to remove it from my seatbag and then remove it from it's own pouch in order to use it bothers me. It has a bunch of tools I never use - specifically the box wrenches, bottle opener and knife. The screw driver flops around and is tough to use.

It's plastic edges the worst thing. They are NOT rounded and hurt your hands when applying a lot of pressure. I try to use the allen wrenches without taking it apart in order to have more surface area and less hurt in the hands but everytime I do the two halves seperate and I end up using only half of it and it's just plain brutal on the hands.

I even like my generic (probably Walmart purchased) cheapo multi-tool better than this thing.

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros. Micra 17 and other cheaper multi-tools.

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from Westfield,Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    Great selection of tools to put into one compact thing. Every tool I need is there to get me home if something happens to go wrong.

Weaknesses:    Can't get enogh leverage and torque to really take off tight bolts or screws. Why put a knife in with the tool? Can opener?

Bottom Line:
Very good product to use if you want to go for ride and come back. I do not recommend using this tool as a prime tool. Try to get another Topeak tool that is better.

Favorite Trail:   Granville