Home | Reviews | Tools | Topeak

Topeak Alien II Tools

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

-27 function tool: Torx T25 bit, 2,2.5,3,4,5,6,8 mm hex wrenches, 8,9,10 mm hex bolt box wrenches (each 2pcs), flathead and crosshead screwdrivers, chain tool, mini pedal wrench, 14 and 15g spoke wrenches, 2 tire levers, stainless knife, bottle opener, 10mm hex socket for Shimano?s new LX crank bolt and a compartment for two chain pins -Includes Clip Bag carrying case -3.4" x 1.7" x 1.6". 270g

Submitted by Aaron a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Basically a mobile toolbox

Bottom Line:
You can pretty much tear down and rebuild an entire bike with this tool. It's the first tool I bought and use it for everything, maintenance, trail repairs, you name it. After several dozen tire changes, one of the tips of the tire lever broke off. There are two, so it's not that big of a deal but I shot an email to Nick in their customer service dept and within 1 week, I had a brand new body with spankin new tire levers! It took just a min to tear down the tool and rebuild it. I also own a few of their bike bags, floor pump and lights and their products are just great, affordable, well thought out and last forever.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Crank brothers multi tool. Twice the price, half the features.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT2 mtn bike, Trek Domane road bike, Trek Gritty City commuter

Submitted by tylerw a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    quality product
every tool i need on the go
compact

Weaknesses:    not recommended for the weight weenie

Bottom Line:
This multi tool is a good one if you are very inclined to do work on the trail on you bicycle yourself. It has more than enough options for any quick fix any day out on the trail. I carry it in my camelbak everywhere i ride. I ordered a mail order bicycle and assembled it with only this one tool. It is a bigger beefier option as a weight weenie would not want to carry this with them. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good multi tool.

Submitted by panhands

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2013

Strengths:    Cool design. Pretty easy to use.

Weaknesses:    The T25 Torx does not fit very well into disc brake bolts. When your Torx doesn't fit well the corners will break. I bought some Craftsman Torx drivers and they fit much better, less play between the tool and the bolts.

Bottom Line:
I think the Alien design is pretty slick, but as with most multi-tools, they cannot replace real tools.

Submitted by Bridger a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    Almost every tool you will ever need

Weaknesses:    Weight
Plastic

Bottom Line:
Great tool has saved me many times. Only gripe I have are that its made with plastic with conserves weight, but makes it weaker. I is heavy, but I knew it was when I bought it.

Submitted by p2rider426

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2012

Strengths:    When combined with my small adjustable wrench, it has just about every tool I need to do any repair I may need to do away from home. Fairly high quality construction.

Weaknesses:    Not for weight weenies. Knife blade is kind of a joke. Detaching and reattaching the two halves isn't as sturdy as the rest of the tool. Not all that cheap.

Bottom Line:
I throw this guy, my trusty old leatherman, and a high-quality 6" adjustable wrench in my camelbak when I'm out riding and it has been very useful every time I've needed it!

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   amazon

Submitted by wanderinginhel a Cross Country Rider from Plattsburgh, Ny, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Alot of tool options and the strength of the material is good.

Weaknesses:    The release that attaches the two halves has a weak spring, I intend to replace the spring myself with a better one.

Bottom Line:
Tool is a good do all tool. Other good points are materials they used are good. Weak point is the design of the connecting mechanism for the two halves.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Multiple crankbros multi-tools

Bike Setup:   Custom Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Submitted by Clones123 a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Nice design, compact size and quality materials.

Weaknesses:    At 290g this thing is WAY too heavy.

Bottom Line:
I could easily do without all the box wrenches - I don't even have a single hex nut on my bike! Buy something smaller and with only the tools you need for half the weight of this. If that multi-tool doesn't include a chain-breaker, then get a Park CT-5 Mini-Brute Chain Tool (72g).

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Bike Setup:   Performance Access XCL 29er

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    contains about all the tools you could need for a trail-side repair

Weaknesses:    heavy & bulky

Bottom Line:
I've been happy with this tool so far. It has only been used a few times (which is what you want for an emergency tool!) but each time it had just the tool for the job. I would like to see Topeak include the frame mounting bracket with the tool & case. It is so large that the Alien II and a spare tube fill my saddle bag.

Favorite Trail:   Kanuga

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by Professzore a Cross Country Rider from Budapest, Hungary (Europe)

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Wide selection of useful tools, very well built with (almost) industry-grade materials and quality.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
I used my Minoura for almost 17 years with complete satisfaction, but sometimes I found its range of tools not enough. I found Alien II a good way to upgrade, and ordered on on eBay. It's far more useful than any other similar pruduct I've ever seen in local stores (mostly with poor quality and/or too narrow selection of tools and/or extremly high price). It has only one real weekness: weight. If you can make this "deal", I mean, a lot of features with very good quality versus the extra weight, I recommend this product.

Purchased At:   eBay.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Minoura

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2008

Strengths:    it has lots of tools, pretty solid, good design

Weaknesses:    has some completley obsolete trail-tools (like a bleed nut wrench: when are you gonna bleed your brakes on the trail, right?), it rusted and I have never needed to use more than 5-6 of the tools on it. it's overkill

Bottom Line:
its a good tool if you are hard on bikes, but other than that, don't get one. if you want something to use as a tool to fix the basic problems you usually occur on the trail or if you aren't an excellent bike mech, go for something smaller. it will mean less weight and less space taken up, and I guarantee you, you will not use all the tools on it.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 with the worx

Submitted by Stumpy_Steve a Weekend Warrior from SF Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2007

Strengths:    Wow, this thing has everything! Chain breaker, all the allen keys, wrenches, everything! And it all fits in the nice carrying case, which has a pocket for my smart links!

Weaknesses:    Can't find anything yet. I guess you can say it's heavy, but for what it does and is meant for, I can't complain.

Bottom Line:
Had a recent trip at Downieville including 3 flats and a torn tire. Unfortunetly, I forgot my tire levers until I noticed this bad boy had two of them! Chain got jammed inbetween my granny and middle ring too, so I had to unbolt my granny to get it out after splitting my chain two minutes before! This tool did everything in an emergency time fashion with ease. I love it so much, Im buying another to put in my road seat bag.

Favorite Trail:   SDF, Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Old Spin doctor multi-tool, didn't have as many options, sucked, didn't feel as solid

Bike Setup:   07 stumpjumper expert, 819/king wheels, sweet setup.

Submitted by Daniel Higgins a Cross Country Rider from Ft Huachuca AZ

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Strengths:    sturdy constructon, and can I say tools tools tools..... and the cool way it slips apart into two different tools, one for each hand ha!

Weaknesses:    kinda heavy, but then again, that goes with sturdy construction, has a clip on it but nothing to attach to the bike?

Bottom Line:
get one because that time youll need it youll be glad you did

Topeak Alien II and Lezyne L-Caddy

Hi I've recently bought a Alien II multitool. I have my eye on the Lazyne L-Caddy. Does the Alien II fit in the multitool pouch of the L-Caddy? It looks a bit flat.Read More »

Alien Run Part II

Rode Alien Run near Aztec last weekend. It's a fun and scenic trail. We got 12 hours of rain the day before so a lot of the trail felt like fly paper. The sand stone formations and views are very cool and look a lot like El Malpais National Monument. If you're on your way up to Durango, it's worth r ... Read More »

Topeak Alien II chain tool question

Today, while riding, I came across of group of people, and one of them had some chain links bent on his chain. I offered them my help, even though I've never done field repairs(or any repairs of that sort) myself. It was quite easy to remove bent chain links. It was not that easy to join them togeth ... Read More »

Topeak Alien II ?

Just picked up the Alien 2, and have a question on the chain breaking tool. At the end of the allen screw, the post is 2 seperate pieces with a small ball bearing behind em in the screw. These pieces fall out pretty easily, so what has everyone done to keep from loosing them? Dab of heavy grease ... Read More »

How good are the tire levers on the Topeak Alien II?

The tire levers on a lot of multi-tools really suck. Anyone used the ones on the Alien II? How are they?Read More »