Home | Reviews | Tools | Spin

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Spin Doctor Essentials Repair Stand

Submitted by Dave Lee a Cross Country Rider from Lehi, UT

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Small and compact. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Bike moves a little bit on the rack.

Bottom Line:
At one time I was a certified bike mechanic and I would use the stand that I was assigned. Unfortunately, when I quit, I had to give it back. That stand was awesome. That being said this Spin Doctor's stand works. It holds the bike at a nice height and makes it easy to work on. I have done a few tune-ups on this stand and it worked flawlessly. I don't know how the stand would work doing some major repairs, but I think it would be fine. The only thing that I was a little disappointed with was that on my bike, the down tube is a bit larger than some and it was tough to get the stand to hold it really tight. I could still work on it, the bike just moved a bit more than I would like. My wife's bike worked wonderfully. For the money I spent, perfect stand. For overall use, so far almost perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Park professional work stands

Submitted by mark b. a Cross Country Rider from fort wayne, in, USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2007

Strengths:    stable, good work height, folds/stores easily

Weaknesses:    does not work w/ non-standard frames/tubes; cradle @ BB does not work well

Bottom Line:
a good general-purpose stand -- built up a half-dozen bikes on it. but if your frame has an unusual shape or way oversized downtube, you will have troubles. the torque needed to remove pedals will pull the bb out of the cradle easily, no matter how tight the clamp (6" from the cradle). i removed the wheel-holder plates because they only fit a 24"-wheeled bike. great for roadies/hardtails, problematic for fs (superlight, for example). i'll give it another year because i can't afford a park or ultimate right now; will keep as a backup.

Purchased At:   performance - online

Similar Products Used:   park prs-12, prs-4, pcs-1

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar xlt 1.0 - raceface/x.9/avid

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Strengths:    It's a decent value for the money, and folds up quite nicely.

Weaknesses:    Not sturdy enough for major repairs

Bottom Line:
Like the other reviewers mentioned, this is a great stand for basic maintenance tasks like cleaning and lubing. You are want to go with a higher-end stand if you plan to do major overhaul work. The only other issue (which is manageable) is that the clamp meets my down tube right at my Polar cadence sensor. I have to slide the sensor up in order to clamp. I also echo the review about using felt on the clamp to protect your finish.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix Elite

Submitted by Toddy Too Hotty! a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    Cost, easy to assemble and use, nice height for working, folds up easily

Weaknesses:    The clamp will scratch your frame, and isn't designed for larger down tubes, but does work for them. The tire stabalizers may not even touch your tires. Not made in the USA

Bottom Line:
If you do not want to shell out a lot of money, this is an outstanding bargain. I do minor maintenence on my bike, and this stand is great for it. When the stand is open, from the floor to where your bottom bracket will sit in the stand is about 26.5 inches. I received as a gift a $8 folding stool from Walmart, and the combo of stool and stand ROCK!
But, it will scratch your frame, so buy some felt from Hope depot for $2 and place it on the clamp. Additionally, there is a spring on the clamp that is supposed to make it easier to remove the clamp from your bike. I believe this is what scratched up my frame. I removed it, and haven't noticed any difference in how well it holds/releases my bike; actually, I think it is easier now.
So, if you want a convenient bike stand for a low price, I advise you to get this one. If money is not the option, you probably would do better with Park Tools, but I never tried any of those; I suggest Park Tools soley based on their reputation.

Bike Setup:   2k2 Jamis Dakar Comp...Time Atacs

Submitted by Hunter a Cross Country Rider from Baton Rouge

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Compact, sturdy, stable, foldable, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Cannot accomadate Y-frame bikes(must have a downtube) without modifications(can be done, just "rewire it")

Bottom Line:
It holds my bike at a more comfortable work height than the park. Does not interfere with drivetrain. It is stable if you put it on a hard surface(it rocks a little on carpet, but so does the park). For 35 bones (on sale), it just can't be beat. If you have a Y-frame, either get a park or be ready for some minor modifications, i.e. a longer clamp arm and a more narrow head bracket(will have to engineer this yourself, none commercially available). Great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Springs

Similar Products Used:   Park Consumer workstand

Bike Setup:   FSRxc w/ full XT, Thomson seatpost, Rizer Pro bar, CC ergo barends, ATAC pedals, body geometry seat & grips.

Submitted by Alvin a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Price, looks, ease of use, storage

Weaknesses:    not that stable, clamping device can scratch up top of downtube, front wheel retention device doesn't work on larger frames,

Bottom Line:
I like this stand. I don't believe they're even available anymore. Performance Bikes in Walnut Creek, CA was selling them for 39.00 on sale last Christmas. They work fine for doing derailleur and brake adjustments, but don't try and do a major overhaul on this stand. It's not that stable. Great for displaying your rig though.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp