Specialized EMT Comp Multi Tool Tools

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The E.M.T. Comp is an emergency tool for the road or trail, with tire lever, chain tool, spoke wrenches and a host of other necessary emergency tools

Submitted by DuncanN a Cross Country Rider from Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Compact, comprehensive

Weaknesses:    Not very strong

Bottom Line:
It's great... at least until it falls apart under use. I've had two and both have snapped in normal use. First time it was the chain tool; this time one the bolts holding thw whole thing together. It's not even as if you can exert much leverage on the thing...

Favorite Trail:   Glen Kinglass

Purchased At:   Edinburgh Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Alien

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail

Submitted by weazel a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2006

Strengths:    All the tools one might need in the middle of nowhere.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for the pencil neck weight weenies.

Bottom Line:
For an on the trail tool, I don't think that there is anything that you may need that this thind doesn't have. I have had to adjust my saddle, tighten stem bolts and bolts on my shoes, and that was all on one ride. The different size wrenches on this tool took care of each task without any real problems to speak of.
As with any multi tool taken on the trail, it can't be expected to perform as easily and conveniently as the full-sized, task specific tools at a bike shop. This tool performs as well as possible on the trail.
This is a good tool for anybody who is planning on travelling more than a couple miles away from a shop. The bottle opener is a bonus tool for after the ride

Favorite Trail:   bootleg canyon

Purchased At:   It's All Downhill BC, NV

Similar Products Used:   Full size tools in my garage

Bike Setup:   2005 Spec Enduro Comp

Submitted by Reinaldo Amorim a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Strengths:    Compact, nice shape, easy fitting any place.

Weaknesses:    First time I needed the chaing braker, it brake. I went to the store and they gived me a new one. The fist time that I used the 8/10mm hex wrenches,to fix my rear derailleur cable it broke again.

Bottom Line:
A big disappointment!!!
Few months ago I bought a EMT Comp Multi Tool, at the first time I used the chain braker, it just break itself in the bottom part. I took it to the store where I've bought it and they replaced it. But, when I first needed it to change my rear derailleur cable, the forged metal part that hold the stainless tool in the limit position broke. I took it the store, and the guy told me that I should use that tool only in emergency cases, that I was not suppose to be using it at home(I bought it to use). The seller man just took the tool inside the store, and change positions of the tools, as it would solve the problem, and said again that I should use that only in a emergency situation. So, once I got home I checked to see if I would trust in that fixed tool and it went bad in my hand, without I even using it again in the lowest real strength that would be needed.
The problem is that I only used the tool one time in an emergency situation and it broke.

And after all, I've tried do set my brakes and it is extremely difficult to use.

Two strikes in the fist two times that I tried to use.

I sent an e-mail to specialized, but they gime no solution.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Shopping

Similar Products Used:   alen tool xs

Bike Setup:   swhin with xt lx and avid parts, and rock shox duke sl.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Can

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    Well Made, labels on tools, compact, lotsa tools

Weaknesses:    Not thought out well, awkward to use, cannot work on some areas of bike.

Bottom Line:
Initially I thought this tool was great until I tried to use it.

Senario 1:
I had to adjust my seatpost (thompson), and discovered that the allen key was extremely difficult to use, and had to micro adjust the bolt to tighten, loosen, but it worked (eventually), but slooooooow going.

Senario 2:
This one really ticked me off. At the start of a ride I discouvered that my rear brake (XT hydraulic) was in need of some bleeding (was really non-functional). So no problem, just loosen the bleed cap and purge the air. Well that could not be done using the supplied wrenches with this tool. I could get the wrnech on, but because of it's design, could not budge the bolt at all really. These are the closed, multi span type of wrenches. So in the furture I'll only get a tool with open ended wrenches.

So 2 strikes on the 2 times I had to use the tool.

Purchased At:   Pedal Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cool Tool, other multitools.

Bike Setup:   TBL Rage Pro

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Bountiful (SLC) UT

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Everything tool you might need on the trail is stuffed neatly into one contraption. Disc brake spacers, box wrenches, allens, hexs, chain tool, philips screw driver, tire tool and a can opener (a must have). Comes with a nice cover too.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This multi-tool is great. It is made very well. You don't have to be gentle with this tool unlike several others on the market. All the tools on this thing fold up very nicely and a PHD in physics is not required. Took a gnarely spill the other day, the mountain rearranged my bike to fit someone with severe deformities but I had my Specialized EMT Comp Multi Tool with me to adjust everything back to my specs. This tool rules, I am giving it 5 Flamin' bowel twistin' chilis. SEMPER FI and OOOHRAH!!

Favorite Trail:   All of Northern Utah!!

Purchased At:   Bountiful Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   A rag full of assorted tools bouncing around in my pack.

Bike Setup:   '04 GT idrive

EMT Comp Multi Tool

Hi I have this tool: [url]http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=39574[/url] I undid the side with the bottle opener so I could take it off and use the spoke wrench on it more easily. Unfortunately I didn't take my time and as a result I'm not sure how it all goes back togeth ... Read More »