Rhode Gear Tool Pod Tools

Rhode Gear Tool Pod

Submitted by blitzcat a Cross-Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:
the product didnt break

Weaknesses:
it ate all my nipples

Bottom Line:
I have one of the early implementations that had spoke truing things on the edge. But the handle it was in was so thin, it shredded the nipples under tension. Plus you had to remove all the bits to open the handle and use it. The Bits were not so hot either. At first i didnt have the strength to remove them, then they all fell out. The tollerances were poor so i damaged the bolts I used it on. This tool did so much damage that it was one step away from being hurled into the woods. I sold it to someone that wants to damage their bike so as to have an excuse to get a new bike.

more than 3 years

Park mini tool, craftsman hex key set

one with allen keys on it

Submitted by Michael a weekend warrior from Sydney Oz

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

I own two and was sorry it got discontinued. Sure if you open it upside down all the bits fall out. I have spent wasted time finding them again but eventually I learned to open it right side up. I like that the tips are magnetisedt. I use it on the road and use proper workshop tools at home. I like that its light weight. I use the Allan keys and screwdrivers and tyre lever mostly . The spoke wrench is useable in emergengy but is unwieldy. I carry a light weight spoke wrench and light weight adjustable wrench to complement he rhode gear. The littlle box cutout wrenches are useless I admit. They simply cant reach most bolts. Bonus points for being compact and lite weight.

Submitted by Quinn from San Francisco, California

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

My Rhode Gear tool pod lasted about a year. During its short life, it functioned adequately. It was a bit of a hassle having to fish out the right bit and load it into the socket. Occasionally, the bit would fall out of the socket mid-job. Still, not a major problem for a cheap trail side tool. Then, tragedy struck and the the inside of the socket got stripped while adjusting my stem. That made the entire Rhode Gear completely useless. Bad tool! Unreliable...bad tool!

Submitted by Sherman a weekend warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

Though they probably don't make this anymore I think it was pretty good. I think some people make the mistake of using a mini tool as a tune up tool just cause it is so convienient. The spoke wrenches don't work the hex holes don't work well exept for one. I do however like the tire lever. Great design. I haven't broke mine yet I even do some maintenece with the tool. It loses 2 chilis because of the lack of a chain tool and I got a bit stuck in it because I turned it too hard.

Submitted by Rod Chiapusio a cross-country rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1996

Bottom Line:

Rhode Gear had the right idea, but the wrong design team. Although compact and light, I broke three Tool Pods within two months-- one was my housemates. The culprit to this is the cast plastic/stamped metal casing. It doesn't like torque at all. I'd really have to recommend getting a somewhat heavier duty tool-- this one just won't cut it when you're out on the trail!

Submitted by Lambert Lum a weekend warrior from Hayward, CA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1996

Bottom Line:

It's a multi function tool that has four sizes of allen wrenches (3,4,5,6mm),
both screwdriver types, tire lever, spoke wrench, and hex sockets. The specs
sound okay, and that's why I bought it. Later I would find disillusionment in
my purchase.

This thing is the pits. It's like did Rhode Gear even test out their tool and
see if it even works. My biggest gripe is that the allen wrenches/screwdrivers
are next to useless, because the arm that holds the tool bit is too short.
I can't reach 90% of the service areas on my bike. It's really bad design.
My next gripe is that the tool's arm broke when I tried untightening a stiff
bolt. Well, I guess I don't have to worry about maintaining that 10% of my
bike that the tool can reach.

The other features on the tool are also mediocre as well. The hex sockets
were a tad too small and had problems with reach. The tire lever was a
little too large. I didn't try the spoke wrenches, but that's enough
disappointment for now. The tool is trash now.

Saddled with poor design, and poor workmanship, the tool pod 2 is indeed
an example of what not to make.