Prestacycle Prestaratchet Mini Ratchet Tools

If you enjoy working on your bike, if you are into it enough to own a bicycle repair stand, then you need to have the Prestacycle Prestaratchet Mini Ratchet in your toolbox... Or maybe a few of them; one for each of your most-used hex key size. The Mini Ratchet and PRO Bicycle Tool Bit Set will also let you carry practically a whole bike shop in your pack.  The benefits of a ratchet are many; faster tightening and loosening, more ergonomic than a three-way wrench or L-Bend wrench, and the ability to use lots of bits with one tool, thus taking up less space in a tool box. The Prestacycle Prestaratchet Mini Ratchet is designed specifically for working on bicycles, measuring a compact 10.5 cm long, it can fit just about anywhere on a bicycle, making the turning of bottle cage bolts, seatpost clamp bolts, lever clamps, and just about everything else faster than with a regular wrench or even a standard size ratchet. Spin a loose bolt snug with the thumb-wheel, then tighten with the handle. Flick the reverse lever with the same thumb to loosen. You can operate Prestaratchet with one hand and hold a cable with the other. Tighten and loosen as many times as you want to get the perfect cable position - and never move your hand or remove the tool in the process. Plus, when a bit wears out, you can but a whole set for the cost of what it would cost you to replace one standard tool. Get one, get several, and make your life easier.

Submitted by TurnerConvert

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    Makes quick work of lots of tasks that have to be done when working on a bike. Easier to tighten/loosen screws when you only have one hand available. Set of bits includes nearly everything that you will need to work on your bike.

Weaknesses:    Umm... maybe a zippered pouch would be nice to keep everything together.

Bottom Line:
I just got this in the mail a couple days ago, just in time to do my winter maintenance on my bike. I found the Prestaratchet to be very convenient for many of the things that I had to do - replacing chainrings, removing/installing disc brake rotors, tightening up the bolts on stems, etc.... I was in the market for a ratcheting hex set of screwdrivers before I was aware of the Prestacycle tool, so this was a nearly perfect solution to what I was looking for. I particularly appreciated how much easier it was to tighten and loosen screws when you only have one hand available - the short bits make this fairly straightforward.

I purchased the Prestaratchet with the Pro bits set, and I would definitely recommend that you spend the money for the upgrade since I have seen cheaper tools wear out in the past and cause problems. The bits include nearly everything that you will need for routine maintenance on your bike. The only thing I found to be missing, is a 10mm hex that I need to attach the cap for my Project 321 Lefty Hub. However, this is a minor nitpick and probably something that most people will never need.

This seems to be a high-quality tool, and reasonably priced for what you are getting. I am almost tempted to get the 8 ratchet set so that I can put the most commonly used bits in ratchets to cut down on the swapping. I would also seriously consider putting one of these in my camelbak in place of a multi-tool.