Home | Reviews | Tools | Pedros

Pedros Chain Machine Tools

2.5/5 (24 Reviews)

Pedro's Chain Machine has 104 rotating brushes to ensure maximum cleaning. As the chain passes through the machine, the brushes are rotated by a geared system while the reservoir valve showers the chain with degreaser.

Submitted by Kirk S a Downhiller from Abbotsford BC Canada

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2004

Strengths:    great when you do alot of downhill racing and get your chain craped up. if you only do street and a little bit of trail riding don't wast your money (just get the park tool chain brush)

Weaknesses:    after you clean your chain and wash the machine out it is really hard to dry inder the brush, and wheel set. otherwise it is GREAT

Bottom Line:
it is a great tool and i would totaly reccomend the park tool. like any other park tool it is awesome!!

Favorite Trail:   water shed

Purchased At:   pedal sport

Bike Setup:   stock 2002 rocky mountain switch

Submitted by Michael E a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    Cleans chains well, come with pedro's degreaser (good stuff and doesn't everyone always need degreaser)

Weaknesses:    expensive and may be fragile

Bottom Line:
It seems that there is an old model of the chain machine and a new one. You should NOT buy the old one, it breaks by looking at it, so I hear). However, the new version appears to be made of a quality lexane plastic. The new one comes with Pedro's degreaser and ice wax.

I'm certain that it is not entirely un-breakable but if you don't force it and follow directions the job gets done exceptionally well. It does require a little finesse to get the arm around the rear derailer cage, but becomes habit quickly. Once on check you are lined up and peddle smoothly backwards.

On the same note is says to use the small chain ring. That probably makes sense for a road bike, but with Shimano XTR micro-drive the middle chain ring seems to keep the tension proper.

I had great results with putting degreaser straight on the chain and peddle like you would to work lube into it. Then I used the machine with water to rinse it all out. Saved me a lot of degreaser too.

I got ripped off a little, paying $40. If you mail order the going lowest price is $30, still a little steep but does come with degrease and lube, something you can probably use anyway.

Favorite Trail:   all of them I get to ride

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   finish line

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback RS fully tweaked

Submitted by Nathan Webster a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Thomas

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Cleans chain well and very quickly

Weaknesses:    A little awkward to use

Bottom Line:
I just bought a new revised version, and it seems very sturdy. It came with their Bio degeaser, Ice Wax, and a chain/derallier brush, which are all nice. I first take off the chainrings and rear wheel, clean them and the derallier(while it's still on the bike) and put them back on. Then I use the chain cleaner. I'm happy with it. Oh, and I know Dicks isn't really the bike shop, but I had a gift card to it and it was only $30 rather than $40 at the BS...
Anyone who rides in the mud or dirt and doesn't want to have to buy a new chain every three months should invest in one. It's worth the money for the time saved.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   Simple Green and a rag

Bike Setup:   Just the way I like it

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    Cleans the chain without having to remove it from the bike.

Weaknesses:    Fussy about the location of the chain; If you don't carefully follow the directions (put the chain on the small ring and a middle cog), the cleaner will not seat properly, and you will be unhappy.

Bottom Line:
I find that this thing does a decent job when used with care: As long as the chain is in the right position, the hook will seat itself between the two rollers, and chain will then move smoothly through the cleaner.

If you don't get it right, the chain will jam and pop off the rings. You may also end up spilling some of the solvent all over yourself...

However, with a little care, I find that this does a good job of cleaning. It can take a couple of applications to get the chain to sparkle, but with regular use (once a week) I feel like I'm keeping the chain decently clean. I also use a gear brush to clean the cassette and rings, and a lot of rags to wipe the solvent and dirt off the chain, cassette, and rings.

The plastic seems to be holding up well after three months' use. It requires a little attention to get the lid locked in, but I've got no complaints about that.

I've also been happy with Pedro's Biodegreaser and Ice Wax. They work well together, and my drivetrain's funtioning well.

The bottom line for me? I much prefer the slight fussiness and less-than-perfect cleanliness acheived with this product to the inconvenience (and ultimate weakening) of removing the chain every week. It's not perfect, but the flaws are acceptable.

Similar Products Used:   Chain popper.

Bike Setup:   27 gears, LX derailleurs, SRAM 5.0 cassette, Bontrager sport crank and rings, XTR chain.

Submitted by John a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    quickly gets a lot of grease of the chain, but is somewhat weak in getting the grease out of the middle of links

Weaknesses:    Very poor, quality. Mine didn't break the first time I used it, but hung in there for two or three uses. I still use it and hold it together with my hand(getting grease all over my hands in the process). Hoping to find a better cleaner soon!

Bottom Line:
Look for something better. I give it two chilis because it is better than doing the whole thing by hand!

Favorite Trail:   anyhting paved

Bike Setup:   sampson kalispell Ti with Dura Ace (awesome bike!!)

Submitted by Dominic Libby a Cross-Country Rider from Milton,NH

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
Really cleans well w/o removing the chain.

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
A little pricey.Real easy to use.Real quick.I haven't broken mine yet.Be careful and rinse it after you use it.Simple Green works great in this thing.

Thurston Rd.Trailhead

1 Year

Bibox,Park

On which bike?I have a few.They all need clean chains!

Submitted by Dan a Cross-Country Rider from Akron Oh

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
Cleans chain really well

Weaknesses:
Broke it to easily, Messy, really expensive

Bottom Line:
Works well but is too expensive and breaks easily

The Dump

1 Year

Submitted by GMAN a Cross-Country Rider from OSAGE BEACH, MO

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
EXCELLENT CONCEPT,CLEANS
WELL,EASY TO USE AND COMPACT.

Weaknesses:
BROKE AFTER FIRST USE, WAS REPLACED BY PEDROS AND SUBSEQUENTLY BROKE AGAIN AFTER ONLY ONE USE. TOO EXPENSIVE!

Bottom Line:
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT PEDROS HAS A FINE CONCEPT, HOWEVER THE PRODUCT DOES NOT LIVE UP TO THIER REPUTATION NOR DOES IT JUSTIFY ITS PRICE!! BUYER BEWARE, THIS CLEANER SUCKS!!

BERRYMAN

FINISH LINE

SPECIALIZED M2

Submitted by mr_rangr a Cross-Country Rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Strengths:
Cleans between links

Weaknesses:
Broke after first use.

Bottom Line:
I'm SO disappointed with this. It's neat that it'll hook around the derailleur, but I usually work on my chains with the bike upside down. The second time I tried to use it, the plastic tabs broke off. So I stomped it to bits and bought a Park.

El Prieto

Park chain cleaner

Shimano chains

Submitted by Doug a Cross-Country Rider from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Difficult to get on, difficult to get off. Broke after less than half dozen uses.

Bottom Line:
If I was Pedro, I'd be ashamed to have my name on this piece of junk. It leaked from the getgo and broke apart at the screws after fewer than 6 uses. Like one reviewer said, you'd be better off to spend the money on two new chains. Makes you wonder about the rest of Pedro's products.

Dunn Road

3 months

Remove chain and clean with brush

Shimano chain, XT RD

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Cleaned my chain well the first time I used it . . .

Weaknesses:
Broke the first time I used it . . .

Bottom Line:
I have never had anything break so quickly on me. I'm one who tends to be careful with what I use, but during the first cleaning this thing cracked and started leaking. Major waste of money; I'm not sure why stores sell this.

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from WY

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Strengths:
Worked well the first time it was used

Weaknesses:
broke the second time it was used

Bottom Line:
After shelling out 35 bones for this engineering marvel, I expected it to at least last through 3 cleanings...not

Submitted by robert a Cross-Country Rider from cincinnati

Date Reviewed: May 23, 1999

Strengths:
cleans good

Weaknesses:
Very Poor plastic construction

Bottom Line:
I'm on my third unit in only a month!!! The first one broke after two uses. The second one broke after one use. We'll see how the third one holds up. DONT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!

Ceasars Creek

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Mt. Snow, VT

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
Works real well, the best chain cleaner I have owned.

Weaknesses:
After 4 months of scrubbing Vermont mud off my chain, the machine broke. I called Pedro's and they sent me a new one.

Bottom Line:
This is a great product. Works great, is clean and easy. I followed the directions every time (except one... I left the degreaser in overnight). That is when it broke.

6 months

Chain Mate

Trek 9800 OCLV.

Submitted by Mark Hinman a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: April 9, 1999

Strengths:
I works well before it breaks.

Weaknesses:
It breaks

Bottom Line:
I pulled the O-Ring out, layed down a bead of Silicon, and put it back together. I now works as it should.

3 months

Wooden scrub brush
Park derailleur brush

98 Trek 8500

My New Moonhead Machine Chain Rings! (VRC x-post)

It's given I'm a vintage mtb fan...but I couldn't help but fall in love with the stuff that [URL=http://www.moonheadmachine.com]Moonhead Machine[/URL] is putting out. Down to earth guys, USA built product. A little bit of retro flair with all the benefits of modern technology. I'm looking forward ... Read More »