Park Tool Tools Cable and Housing cutter Tools

2.18/5 (17 Reviews)

The new CN-10 Cable and Housing Cutter is a shop quality cutter designed specifically for use on all bicycle cables and housing, including hard-to-cut index housing.

Submitted by cjsb

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2014

Strengths:    It is solid enough for self-defense.

Weaknesses:    It is horrible at its job-making clean cuts.

Bottom Line:
This is my review of having owned this piece of junk 5+ years and it NEVER providing a clean cut--not once! Today is the first time I have read about the locking nut adjustment, so I am going to try that and then post aanother review. But seriously, I have used maybe once or twice a year and it has sucked out of the box. How about shipping the tool with it properly adjusted? I guess you have to be in the LBS mechanic club for Park to ship the tool properly adjusted, do they send those guys emails on tool tips. I am being a little unfair to Park here, but I am pretty pissed off that I used this for this many years and it sucked and now I learn that it might be a simple adjustment. The next cut I make cannot be frayed, My dropper post won't accept a frayed end through the switch lever, whereas if the cut isn't too bad for a shifter you can get that nub over the end. Hopwfully the adjustment works and I can give this thing a higher rating.

Submitted by cb76

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    It's a Park Tool.
Cuts cables and housing flawlessly, once it is adjusted properly

Weaknesses:    Needs to adjusted properly

Bottom Line:
I had the same terrible thoughts about this tool. Bought it used it once in a while, had to pick the housing and break off the strands left by the poor cut. Today I was installing a new dropper seatpost and had the same issues. I thought, (no way Park is going to make crap and not do something about it!) Looked on their website and found out that the cutters need to be adjusted, i.e. no play in the handle. Loosen the LOCKNUT, tighten the SCREW, check for play, if none, test it on some crappy frayed cable you just cut with this tool before you adjusted it. Mine now cuts awesome. If you need a visual go to Parks Website

Submitted by Al Jones a Weekend Warrior from Concord New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    Heavy construction, requires little effort to use

Weaknesses:    You have to use a awl or pick to open up the hole in the housing but from what I've read you need to do that with any cutter on the market

Bottom Line:
I havent used them a lot but they worked fine for me. I touched up the housing with my drummel but it's my understanding that is necessary with other cutter also.
These are definatly better than trying to use side cutters and making a mess out of the cable and houing

Favorite Trail:   Jim Hall River Trail

Purchased At:   Goodales , Nashua NH

Similar Products Used:   conventional side cutters-I messed up a lot of cables before I decided to spring for the Park Tools cutter

Bike Setup:   I decided to install in line brake levers on my Langster fixie.

Submitted by Cary Cotterman a Cross Country Rider from Redlands, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    Solid construction, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've been using the Park cable and housing cutter for a few months, at least a couple of times per week. I had never used a special cable/housing cutting tool before, but I had no trouble using this one successfully the first time. It is a heavy-duty tool and built to last. My local bike shop uses them in their repair department and recommended it. This tool cuts both cables and housings perfectly. The crimpers also work well on the cable ends and housing ferrules.

Favorite Trail:   San Diego Creek

Purchased At:   Redlands Cyclery USA

Bike Setup:   Road.

Submitted by Tim from Humboldt, CA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I'm astounded at all the negative reviews of this product. Either I got lucky and got the only good pair Park ever built, or there are a lot of people who have been using their cable cutters for tin snips.

What I find interesting, is some reviewers reported they have trouble cutting housing, and others had trouble cutting cable. Why is that. It just doesn't add up. If you put all the reviews together, the darn thing does every thing well, and doesn't do anything well.

I've been using the same cutters for about seven years now and have not had any of the problems described in the previous reviews. I always get a clean cut on housing and cable. It's not just gathering dust either. I use it often enough to tell me it is built well enough for shop use.

There is one other possibility I have only just now considered. I've never used any other cable cutters other than the Park's. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Too Baffled Tim

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from St. Petersburg, Fl, US

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2006

Strengths:    Park name

Weaknesses:    Does not work

Bottom Line:
I am super disapointed with this product. I have a Park fourth hand tool and a park workstand, both of which are great quality. This cutter is not fit for its intended purpose, and is (in my opinion) a defectively designed product. It will not even cut through cable or housing. All it does is crush and mangle, and it is frustrating to no end. BUY THE SHIMANO CUTTERS. I used a pair at my LBS, and it is like butter. Clean, round, perfect cuts everytime. Park really ought to issue a recall and should sit in the corner with a dunce cap and think about what it's done, for this one.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel Ti. Reba fork, xt drivetrain.

Submitted by Travis a Cross Country Rider from Dover New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Strengths:    Strong

Weaknesses:    Doesn't cut my any cables cleanly, housings are ok.. but cables come out a mess. Never gets it with one snip.

Bottom Line:
Not worth your money, from what i read the pedros is a better unit. I'll probably toss mine in the trash and buy the pedros.
Pretty expensive for not doing it's job.
First Park tool to let me down :\

Favorite Trail:   Mount Agamenticus

Bike Setup:   Trek 970, x-9 drivetrain xt cranks, brakes, mx comp eta shocks

Submitted by Alex from Elmira, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2006

Strengths:    Absolutely NONE!!!

Weaknesses:    Everything, it crushes the end of the cable housing so you have to re-open the ends with like a pick. And the cables always fray sooo much when you try to cut them. If you ask me they should totally redesign the product

Bottom Line:
This product is just that the bottom line. I cannot get over how much I get frustrated over this product. I want something that cuts clean and doesn't leave a mess to deal with. I am now thinking about Paying the extra money to purchase something from shimano.

Purchased At:   local bike store the cable cutter came in a kit

Similar Products Used:   regular wire cutters

Bike Setup:   I own three bikes

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2005

Strengths:    Yes, it sure is strong. It could probably cut through a U-lock (that's "D-lock" to you Euros out there).

Weaknesses:    Shame that it doesn't cut cables, though

Bottom Line:
CN-10:

I hate to give such low ratings to products, but in this case, I have to.

This is the most overbuilt, yet underperforming, tool I've ever seen. First, it's enormous. Very heavy and the reach is almost too large to be used with one hand. The far superior Shimano tool feels like a pair of scissors in comparison.

I'd forgive the size - well, somewhat - if it worked. It doesn't. I'm going to return mine the next time I'm in Canada at a MEC store, so we'll see if mine is an anomoly. Here's hoping it is, because it simply won't cut cables. Not only does it mash them to pieces and cause them to unravel, but even after a couple minutes of constant attempts to cut a derailleur cable, half the strands were still intact. The end-cap crimper doesn't even work very well. There are just no redeeming qualities to this tool.

In the tool's defence, it HAS cut a few cables in the past, but never without unravelling them to some degree. The Pedros cable cutter is cheaper and works well enough and the Shimano cutter is expensive and brilliant. You'd think the Park would be a happy medium - that's what I thought, at any rate - but it's not.

Assuming I can get a replacement unit and assuming it works, I'll give it an unduly high rating to average out with this one. If the new one doesn't work, then it's another 1-chili rating for you, CN-10.

Favorite Trail:   Minnewanka (Banff)

Purchased At:   www.mec.ca

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (absolutely superior, but strangely expensive), Pedros (adequate), Lifu (barely adequate)

Submitted by Terry Cycle commuter a Weekend Warrior from Kingston Upon Thames

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Strengths:    It cuts the cable nice and neatly

Weaknesses:    The handle broke off!

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money. 'Quality control' in the manufacture of this tool seems to have missed a crack in the handle. When crimping a cable end-cap on, the handle cracked right the way across and fell off rendering the tool useless. When Park tools in the UK are priced in pounds sterling what Americans pay in dollars (i.e. twice the price), it is expected that they will last a long time. I've had this tool for about three years, using it rarely - once or twice a year. The service that I've had from it was not worth the cash.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Electrical wire snippers

Bike Setup:   Dawes Horizon with Shimano bits and bobs

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from The Valley of the Sun

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Strengths:    Cuts cable easily.
Comes with a crimper.

Weaknesses:    Crushes and deforms cables as it cuts.
Crimper is a crusher too(not good).

Bottom Line:
This tool will cut your cables, but you will have to do a lot of finishing and cleanup before you can use the cables. Good luck getting those cables the right length. I guess I should have known that a cable crusher...err..cutter wouldn't make a clean slice like the cutoff wheel. Oh well, back to the Dremel.

Wear your safety glasses!

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Cutoff wheel on high-speed tool.

Bike Setup:   Has cables.

Submitted by B Turner a Cross Country Rider from Yakima, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    Crimps cable caps OK, but what can't?

Weaknesses:    Can't cut a thing!

Bottom Line:
I don't know what Park was thinking when they put out this product... Not the quality I'd expect since I've been using Park tools for years and have usually been more than satisfied. I don't know if I got a defective set or what, but all these do is squash the cable flat. It takes literally about 10 attempts from various angles to actually get the cable cut - ending up with a mangled mess. Enough said...

Similar Products Used:   Shimano TL-CT10 - the BEST!!

Bike Setup:   1992 Trek 9500 - Full M900 XTR

Submitted by Keith Cody a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    It's Park, so it's a well made tool. Has curved jaws, that straddle the cable, giving a nice clean cut. Cut's CABLE great.

Weaknesses:    The jaws are too small to fit HOUSING in them. Doesn't cut housing well at all.

Bottom Line:
If you want to cut housing, you'll have to buy another tool. 5 Flamin' Chillis for cutting cable, but only 1 chili for cutting housing. Overall, if it's a park tool, it should work fantastic, not sort of.

It's the best CABLE cutter that I've come across. Nice and quick cable cuts. Doesn't mash the cable together like most wire cutters do. Unforunately, it just doesn't work for HOUSING. Haven't tried the Shimano tool, but I would imagine that if the housing doesn't fit in the jaws, it won't work either.

This review is for the Park CN-4. The one you can get at your LBS. Park is creating a new cable/housing cutter available in Winter 2001. The CN-10 looks ways better. I've never seen it for sale in a store, yet. You might have order it directly from Park.

Pedros' also makes a cable cutter. Nice price at $25.

Felco from Switzerland has a cable cutter, also. It's $55. Wow. http://www.felco.ch/en/produits/modele.asp?IdModele=85

Favorite Trail:   Flume

Similar Products Used:   Most hardware store cable cutters.

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    It has the cable end crimper on the jaws. Does an ok job at cutting cable. I use another cutter for housing (Delta) and the Park tool for cables and cable ends.

Weaknesses:    For SIS and brake cable housing the cuts are not clean. I've had to make several passes with SIS housing.

Bottom Line:
The Shimano cutter may be the best bet overall since it does a nice job with cutting housing and crimps cable ends. Its hard to pay $35 - $50 for a Shimano cutter. Park usually delivers a better product.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike