Park Tool Spoke Wrenches Tools

4.36/5 (22 Reviews)

Park Spoke Wrenches

Submitted by IrOn_MaN a Weekend Warrior from Rhinelander

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Works Well
Cheap
Easy To Use

Weaknesses:    I had to Buy It

Bottom Line:
It was the cheapest one so i bought it and it worked, what more can i ask for?

Purchased At:   Bikes-N-Boards

Submitted by Tony from Roselle ILL

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2008

Strengths:    Works pretty well and is very well priced...

Weaknesses:    None really, it gets the job done at a great price.
However,I havent used the Pedro's 'Spoke Pretzel' but you get the 3 side AND 4 side spoke wrench in the same tool !

Bottom Line:
The SW0 grips 3 sides and works pretty darn well. I just purchased the SW40 which grips 4 sides (the same 3 as the SW0 and it wraps around a little on each side to grip the fourth.
I havent used the SW40 yet bu I will say this, the slot you pass the spoke through is tight (as you can expect). It just passes my Lightweight oversize I9 spoke at .090".
If you have have somr osrt of oversized spokes the SW40 may not work....IE .100/.110" I9..

Btw, to the reviewer below, how many spoke wrenches weigh too much to carry on a bike?????????????

Purchased At:   LBS / Ebay SW0 + SW40

Submitted by Tim from Humboldt

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    simple, comfortable, good fit, reliable.

Weaknesses:    none noted

Bottom Line:
Exactly what one would expect from a park tool. I've built many wheels using this tool and see no reason to get something which may be perceived to be better by somebody else. I've only rounded nipples on disassembling wheels with extensive corrosion. In this case I just cut the spokes out. Anybody rounding nipples with this wrench is probably not getting it fully engaged before turning it, or using the wrong size. One size does NOT fit all. Park sells this spoke wrench in three sizes so be sure you have the right one.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   6

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Weiwen a Racer from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    It's made by Park. Quality is there.

Weaknesses:    Can strip the nipples if one isn't careful, since it only grabs 3 sides (like most other wrenches).

Bottom Line:
I'd recommend the Spokey wrench over the Park. I've stripped brass nipples with the Park - admittedly I can be a bit ham-fisted. if I had been careful to fully engage the nipple, this probably wouldn't have happened. however, I built up a set of wheels with alloy nipples using the Spokey wrench, and not a single one got rounded or marred. the Spokey engages all 4 sides of the nipple. It is marginally slower to use than the Park, but in my opinion, it is much better.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Spokey wrench by Delta - grabs all 4 sides of the nipple

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Design

Bottom Line:
OK if you are just touching up a few nipples. However, I just built, trued and tensioned a few wheels and my thumb is sore from turning the wrench when the tension gets high. I plan to purchase a DT Swiss nipple wrench which has a large surface area to distribute pressure over large area of thumb. Yea, it costs $50 but you get what you pay for. DT Swiss t/e/n/s/i/o Tensiometer is the best. I returned my Wheelsmith. I can take readings from every spoke on 1 side of the wheel in under a minute and have the exact tension with no guessing.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Easy and comfortable to use

Bottom Line:
I've build and trued a lot of wheels with the black wrench. It's nice and easy to use - it's comfortable, and I've never stripped a nipple - brass or aluminum. And it's light enough to carry on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Henry Coe

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   Any bike

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Good carry along size
Grip is nice

Weaknesses:    Not much can go wrong with a good spoke tool

Bottom Line:
This tool uses a simple yet effective design, and is of a carry along size that make it great for anywhere. The plastic-like covering on the loop makes it easy to handle. It gets the thumbs up.

Favorite Trail:   Morialta Conservation Park

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express

Similar Products Used:   many spoke tools
adjustable wrench (not recommended)

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana, with XT upgrades all over the place.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    Quality construction, will last for 10 lifetimes.

Weaknesses:    Only grips nipples on 3 sides making it easy to round off nipples if they are the least bit worn.

Bottom Line:
The construction quality on these is superb however unless you will only be using these wrenches on brand new nipples with only perfect sides, these wrenches will round off the nipples very quickly. I would recommend the Spokey wrenches available at nashbar.com. They will not round off the nipples. You get a good tool for the money but they don't perform as good as they could.

Purchased At:   Urban Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Spokey wrenches, wrenches on my multi-tool

Bike Setup:   two wheels

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Strengths:    Park Quality, Colour Coded for Different Sizes, Precision Fit, Good Grip

Weaknesses:    None, this thing is perfect in all regards

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful spoke wrench. A great addition to my basement workshop. Great attention to detail, even little welds and nickel plating for durability. I can't think of anything that could possibly make this thing better. Well, maybe if it were made from titanium.... but that would just make it a dumb chi-chi.
I give it a flamin' 5 chilis, now quit using your mini tool spoke wrench and buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Bird Sanctuary

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   No-name POS from Wal-Mart that I got for free but didn't want

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1 with Alloy Nipples

Submitted by Russell Seaton a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Strengths:    Open handle allows you to see spokes easily.

Weaknesses:    Rounds alloy nipples.

Bottom Line:
I have a black Park, red Spokey and silver 3 size Park spoke wrench. I only use the Spokey now. The black Park will round off alloy nipples. The Spokey will not slip off and round the nipples. The Park grips only on 3 sides. The Spokey frips all 4 corners. Much better design. The 3 size Park wrench which came in my Park on bike tool kit stays on the bike. It was invaluable when truing the wheels on my new Raleigh mountain bike. For some inexplicable reason Raleigh used a non-DT sized nipple. The 3 size Park worked. The nipples were brass so rounding off was not a concern. Nashbar sells the Spokey for $4.70. Buy one over the Park.

Favorite Trail:   paved roads

Similar Products Used:   Spokey spoke wrench and Park 3 size spoke wrench.

Bike Setup:   DT and Asian spoke nipples.

Submitted by bikedog a Racer from

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    park

Bottom Line:
its a spoke wrenck and its park tool can there be anything with a simpler idea too it. and its only 6 bucks what a great deal.
the truing stand is $150 but thats another review.

Similar Products Used:   lots (topeak, shi, etc.)

Submitted by Joe (Radar) a Racer from Barberton, OH

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Strengths:
It's perfect.

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
The first and last spoke wrench I will buy. For $6 it turns my nipples beautifully and it has no flaws. I bought two because I run thinner (hence smaller nipples) spokes on the front. One of the few products I give 5 stars. Radar

Vultures Knob

6 months

None.

I use these with brass nipples.

Submitted by Ron a Cross-Country Rider from Northern Utah

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1999

Strengths:
light, simple, durable, perfect

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I hope Park never decides to change these because they are just perfect the way they are. I've had mine for almost ten years and they are as good as new even though I build and true some of my friends wheels as well as my own.
Thainks Park Tool Co. !

Skyline trail, 12 miles of up, 12 miles of down.

more than 3 years

plenty of others that where nowhere near as well designed.

Pre-Trek, Klein Attitude Race w/ 99 Marzocchi Z.2 Superfly fork. XT groupo and still only 22lbs.

Submitted by Merin a Cross-Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
This tool works extremely well and shows no signs of wear. Just don't lose it. It should never be changed.

more than 3 years

Topeak - it ate my nipples

Submitted by jeff a cross-country rider from Tempe

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

No contest- these are worth buying. i was hesitant to buy one initially, due to the (relative) higher cost, until i started to strip out nipples using an all in one. i've never had a stripped spoke nipple w/ a park spoke wrench, and the wrenches are extremely comfortable and handy to use. they grip so well. i was amazed at the level of work park puts into such a small tool- the vinyl grip and tiny welding. great, absolutely fantastic product.

Homemade spoke wrenches

Has anyone done it? I attempted it today but the metal i used was too soft and just got spun out. What method did you use to make yours? I know you can buy them, but im cheap! :rolleyes:Read More »