Park Tool MTB-3 Rescue Tools

2.75/5 (8 Reviews)

The Park MTB-3 Rescue Tool is a premium quality multi-tool with the design and innovative features you?d expect from the top name in bicycle tools. Small and light enough to slip into a pocket or seat pack, the MTB-3 contains 22 tools, each carefully sele

Submitted by Bokchoicowboy

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2014

Strengths:    It has a bunch of tools...that look like they will get you out of trouble when you have a failure on the trail. Boosts confidence...

Weaknesses:    ....boosts confidence until you use it! Chain tool busted first use!

Bottom Line:
I had been carrying one of the original multi-tools that came out in the 90's (Topeak) which had been useful for emergency repairs several times, but I wanted to try something that had a few more tools. I picked up a couple of these Park multi-tools at REI and put them in the seatpacks of my bikes.

A couple of years have gone past and I have not had any reason to use either one. I was on a ride near home with my wife and brother-in-law, riding on a paved multi-user pathway, when my bro-in-law's chain snapped. I figured I could take care of this problem in a couple of seconds with the Park MTB-3. Took the thing out, put it in position on the chain (correctly per the manufacturer instructions!) and proceeded to try to press a rivet out. The metal of the chain-tool promptly bent and snapped instead of the rivet moving one micrometer!

Piece of crap!!!!

We were only about a half-mile from home, so this was not a big deal (my wife towed her brother back home, with him grabbing onto the basket of her single-speed grandma trike) but I would have been a bit more concerned, and pissed off, if I had a chain problem out on a mountain bike ride.

I trusted a tool by Park would be strong and efficient. This failure may turn me away from purchasing their tools in the future. I did a Google search and discovered they now have a version 3.2 of this tool, with the text on their website claiming it has an "upgraded chain tool" and a new name of "Premium Rescue Tool". So they redesigned their piece of crap? The same Google search showed me numerous complaints by other riders who have had problems not only with the chain tool but the rest of the wrenches as well. One guy even posted the response from Park when he advised them the casting on one of the wrenches had cracked. Their response was tough, but you can purchase a replacement for the single wrench that broke for $10!!!! A ten dollar replacement part for a tool that retails for around $29????!!!??? I do NOT think I will take the chance and purchase their "new improved" "Premium" tool....I am going with another brand!

Submitted by Matrim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    all tools you need, comes apart for easy storage, transporting

Weaknesses:    a little heavier than other mult tools, but hey it does more

Bottom Line:
I have had this tool for over 6 month. Went through a spell with a bad cassette and a bad rear derailleur where i was breaking chains, I would have been completely lost without this chain tool. Works great. Also helped out a couple others on the trail. Have used in garage too as some of the tools are just better for the bike than my large allens etc.

Favorite Trail:   Matson

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers 17, walmart mult tool etc

Bike Setup:   Jet 9 RDO full XX with XX1 1x10 setup.

Submitted by chris_at

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    good set of tools

Weaknesses:    very poor quality, handling

Bottom Line:
I was quite happy with this tool for about 4-5 month till I tried to dismount a pedal. I did not use any extentions etc. but the crown of the bolt broke.
Seems its just very poor quality. Although Park Tool has a limited lifetime warrenty they did not repair / replace the tool.

Submitted by Eric Vadenais a Cross Country Rider from Tyngsboro, MA, 01879

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Lots of useful tools in a small setup

Weaknesses:    Cheap,chain tool is a piece of crap

Bottom Line:
This is a great multi tool except for the chain tool part. I picked this tool up just a few days ago thinking it was a great deal for the money. Overall, it is. But, I figured i would try out the chain tool today to see how it performed,and I put in some spare chain links to try it out. Immediately when I put real force into tightening it down to push the link out, one of the teeth on the tool that holds the chain snapped. Cheap, soft metal I guess. Park tool has a good reputation, and should actually test this tool before releasing it. When you pay decent money for something like this, you should expect it to perform, but its a decent tool, except for the chain breaker

Favorite Trail:   Land locked forest

Similar Products Used:   Professional tools/workshop tools

Bike Setup:   2002 specialized stumpjumper m4 pro. Rockshox sid sl, selle italia, odi ruffian lock on grips, shimano components, time atac pedals, kenda karma tires

Submitted by Leonardo a Weekend Warrior from Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Strengths:    All you need in one

Weaknesses:    Too big to cary. Looks weak

Bottom Line:
The tool is too big (fat) to cary. (but had all you need)
Emergency use only. Looks weak.

Favorite Trail:   Serra Azul rocks!

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   china crap

Bike Setup:   KHS XC and GT avalanche

Submitted by PVR a Cross Country Rider from Vernon, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    has everything, strong

Weaknesses:    bulky, tools do not detach

Bottom Line:
Covers all basis but I really can't say I need all the tools it has. It's bulk makes it a bit of a pain to pack and the tools are packed in tightly making them more difficult to use that a simpler tool. I'll save this for long remote trips and get a simpler tool for short rides.

Purchased At:   mail order