Park Tool Glueless Patch Kit Tools

3.12/5 (58 Reviews)

ParkTool worked with 3MTo produce a self adhesiveTube patchThat stretches, flexes,Twists, andTurns right along withTheTube. No messy glue, no bulky packaging. Lightly roughenTube withThe included sandpaper, clean, apply patch, and youre readyTo go. Six patches with sandpaper in a neat little carry along box.

Submitted by Bridger a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    Keeps you from being stuck in the bush with a flat
Easy to install
Very affordable
Glueless so you don't have to worry about them drying up

Weaknesses:    Not as reliable as a glue patch kit.

Bottom Line:
These are NOT a permanent fix, so all the people that complain about how they don't last obviously don't know what they were made for. They will not last for ever. They were made to get you out of the woods if you get a flat. Once I get home I replace the tube.

Submitted by seeker

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Saves 3-5 minutes it takes for glue to dry, in a repair process that takes me 10-15 minutes total depending largely on the difficulty or dismounting and remounting tire onto rim.

Glueless patches are better than patchless patches (they're better than nothing).

Weaknesses:    Most glueless patches I've used fail hours to weeks after the repair. I estimate the failure rate at well above 50%. Traditional glued patches rarely let go on me, I'd say much less than 10%.

Bottom Line:
I'd rather lose 5 minutes and fix a flat once, than lose >20 minutes fixing a flat repeatedly.

Perhaps these things appeal to racers, folks with no time to waste, and a crew to fix them again later.

Similar Products Used:   many brands of traditional patching kits WITH glue

Bike Setup:   not pertinent

Submitted by Eric Dial a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    It's small and neat like breath strips.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't seal any holes without the glue. Air bubbles form like on bad window tinting. It's like stopping a water hose leak with duct tape.

Bottom Line:
Three patches on three different innertubes didn't work to seal tiny pinholes.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Creek Park

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitt

Similar Products Used:   Rubber patches and glue, fix-a-flat, slime, rubber cement.

Bike Setup:   I use rugged tread tires, a hard plastic tire liner, slime-filled innertubes, fix-a-flat, this cheap GP-2 Pre-Glued Super Patch Kit, and now regular old-fashioned patches.

Submitted by bigkevgray a Weekend Warrior from Kirkcaldy, Fife, UK

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    No glue
No waiting
Tiny pack holds 6 patches & sand paper

Weaknesses:    Not found any

Bottom Line:
These are brilliant. I've went through 5 packs (30 patches) and never had a problem with them sticking or leaking air. If you get them make sure you sand/clean the area correctly and press the patch down very firmly(The patch will blend in with the tube if you push it hard enough).

The only thing I would change is the addition of a small tool to press the patch down firmly. I got one with a pack of weldtite glueless patches that I've kept.

Gave them a 4 for value becuase they are about twice the price in the UK compared to US.

Favorite Trail:   Not got one

Similar Products Used:   Weldtite glueless patches

Bike Setup:   Kona Five-o

Submitted by bp47 a Downhiller from Santa Monica, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    Good idea in theory

Weaknesses:    Adhesive not strong enough - does not hold.

Bottom Line:
I had gotten a flat and I figured I patch the couple of tubes laying around that had holes in them and reuse those. The patches are really simple to use, but ultimately they did not last. I did the usual sanding and cleaning of the tube and applying of the patch. I patched two tubes with these and inserted one back onto the bike. Later, about a couple hours while watching TV, I heard a strange noise coming from my kitchen (where my bike is stored), it was tire deflating! And I hadn't even ridden the bike yet! Now suspicious. I pumped up my other tubed I repaired and just let it sit. Again! An hour later, air was hissing out! There were no air bubbles in my repairs. But, upon examining these tubes, you could see how the air pressure created it's own escape bubble. Needless to say I will not buy again.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   regular patches

Bike Setup:   Kona Five-O Deluxe

Submitted by buffgato a Cross Country Rider from Provo, UT

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Easy, fast, permanent

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I am absolutely in love with this product. In the late summer, I get at least one flat per week because of the ridiculous number of thorns on the ground here. Before I decided to invest in a new set of tubes, I was riding around with 6 or 7 of these patches on each wheel. Never had a leak, never had a problem. I always make sure to sand down the tube really well, and it always sticks. Much better than sitting around, waiting for glue to dry.

Favorite Trail:   Big Springs Hollow

Similar Products Used:   Glue-on patches

Submitted by Robert from Oakland

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    speed & ease of use?

Weaknesses:    doesn't stay on the long run.

Bottom Line:
Not even worth it. I fully agree with the "rub it down with alcohol(isopropyl, not beer:)) after scuffing tube" theory.
I have been using these things off & on more than 7 years & have come to the realization they simply are not worth it (unless you are racing,of course)Seems no mater what i try the edges come unglued after a cpl of months or so.then when i get multiples on tube it can & does compound things. so i just toss tube or use it for other things.
Nothing better than Rema Tip-Tops for durability.
I have never ever had one inkling of trouble ever with those & iam one to put patches on top of patches until the tube is one big continueous patch.
"dried up tube of glue" is a myth if cap is properly on tube,right.
So the "bottom line" is 1 terd served up on the dinner plate for you,enjoy.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Rema , Innovations.

Bike Setup:   a bike with tubes that have more than 10 glue patches on each one.

Submitted by Jimmy a Weekend Warrior from Gulfport Mississippi USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Strengths:    Quick and easy to install, you don't have to deal with glue. These seem to be permanent if done right

Weaknesses:    The tube has to be clean and dry, sometimes hard to do when trail riding

Bottom Line:
These patches when used correctly do work. Tips for using these patches: LIGHTLY sand the puntured area, and clean the area good with alcohol. I carry alcohol swabs found in first aid kits along with me in my bike bag.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Slime glueless patches. These slime patches hold for a day or two and then blow by.

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Yukon

Submitted by Mojo winoski from Kihei, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Compact, easy to use

Weaknesses:    Either doesn't seal or seals poorly

Bottom Line:
1. Clean and lightly rough tube 2.Peel off backing 3. Press patch on tube. 4. Replace tube after patch fails.
Received a large supply of these things and for the life of me, I cannot get them to work properly. They either immediately fail or they leak slowly. This patch can go on perfectly without a single air bubble and they still leak.. dry, new.. doesn't matter.. I simply carry an extra tube and just replace it instead of riding a half mile after a repair and end up changing the tube anyway. I like the idea but if it doesn't work, why bother.....pos...

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Fast and easy to peel and stick.

Weaknesses:    After you stick them on they don't fix the puncture.

Bottom Line:
I went with the "best name" in the business. Paid the "best name" price and it was beat by an old fashioned glue+patch kit that cost 1/2 as much. I tried these on all sorts of butyl tubes and even a pair of Panaracer Green Lites and the same result - either same air leak or slow but steady air leak. The best glueless patches that work for me sofar are Slime Skabs. I'm gonna pick-up 2 packs from Wal*Mart while I'm down in Florida this Oct. 2005.
Bottom Line: Run from Park and run to Slime.

Purchased At:   bike Nashbar (1999)

Similar Products Used:   Slime Skabs patches, some no-name glue and patch kit & opted not to patch and just get a new innertube.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by john kelly a Weekend Warrior from newcastle, UK

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    If you are completely stupid they appear to be easy to use

Weaknesses:    They dont work

Bottom Line:
There is nothing permenant about these patches. if you can find the hole, why not spend an extra 30 seconds and use something that will stay there for years rather than minutes.

Best thing since the C5 /Beagle space craft / Wap phones

Similar Products Used:   ye olde traditional patch and glue

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Janesville, IA USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Good idea, but don't hold up for long. Very easy to carry and install.

Weaknesses:    Have tendancy to come loose and thus create another flat tire

Bottom Line:
At first these things worked great for me. After I used them on more tubes they just didn't stand up. Don't use these on road tubes, they suck ass. Will work though for mtn bike tubes if you install them properly.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   cheap glue-type patches

Submitted by Jorj a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, England

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    About the size and weight of the quarter you'd need to phone for help when you puncture

Bottom Line:
Can't say whether these are any good on tubes. For tubeless, they work fine. Two reasons why they're ideal for UST tyres; 1: You're likely to be patching a small hole from a flint, thorn etc, not a snakebite 'cos UST's don't get snakebites; 2: The air pressure in a UST tyre is pushing the patch onto the tyre surface, not trying to squeeze out between the patch and the tube. If you ride tubeless, these are perfect for small punctures, but you might want to carry a tube as well in case of a big cut. As you can mount and remove UST tyres without tyre levers, you take way less stuff with you, so you can leave the backpack at home on short rides. About the same price, per patch, as normal kits, and you might actually get to use all of them instead of having to throw away your old kit when the tube of glue dries up/leaks/gets squashed.