Park Tool Crank Puller Tools

4.29/5 (21 Reviews)

The CWP-7 is a compact crank puller with a built-in 8mm hex for removing crank bolts.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Downingtown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Strengths:    strong tool, works well

Bottom Line:
Well after posting the comment below, I realized that I was using the wrong tool for the job. I was using a CCP-4 instead of a CCP-2, which is for square taper bottom brackets. So this is a good tool, just make sure you get the right one.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Downingtown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    Good solid tool. Does what it's supposed to do and then some!

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
This tool worked fine and took both my crank arms off. The reason why I gave this a lower rating is because the package didn't say anything about how to use it. So I figure there's nothing to it and I screw the outer ring in and start cranking down. Well I really cranked down, and nothing moved. Then I realized I was supposed to remove the center pin, but by that time I had already nearly destroyed the crank threads. I was just able to pull the crank off with the right tool setup with a bit of luck. So, good tool other than no warning about making this mistake. :/

Favorite Trail:   the one with the tree on the left

Purchased At:   Loweriders

Bike Setup:   Jamis Ranger

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    High quality, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Kind of expensive

Bottom Line:
A little expensive for the number of times I'll probably use it, but it definitely makes the job easier. High quality tool so it should last a while. I was able to use this on both my Shimano and Campy setup if that is an issue for you. Price is the only reason it's not a 5.

Purchased At:   Budget Bicycle Center

Bike Setup:   Road bike converting between Shimano to Campy.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Weaknesses:    Picked up a CCP-4 for my Shimano Crank - the rotating tip busted off the first time I used it!

Bottom Line:
Busted first time used.

Submitted by Con from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    Will take of the crank I want it to.

Weaknesses:    Dont know yet but it only takes off cranks with 22 x 1mm threads

Bottom Line:
I used to hammer the crank off with a mallot so now im happy and it works great and im happy I bought it.

Purchased At:   A Website

Similar Products Used:   A rubber mallot.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Park quality, does the job, fast and easy.

Weaknesses:    Park price, only had to use it 1x, is that a good or bad thing?

Bottom Line:
I only had to use these 1x to remove the stock Shimano STX-RC cranks that came stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet. I replaced them with a Sugino 44,32,22 chain rings and crankset. The tool was fast and easy to use. Cost a bit more, as I was considering a Lifu. But as I was still under the Duty amount for importing US products into Canada, I opted to go with a quality name brand. I still have the tool, in clean and mint condition. Thought I don't think I'll ever need to use it again in my lifetime.
Bottom Line: Park Crank puller, it does just that - it pulls crank on and off.

Purchased At:   bike Nashbar (1999)

Similar Products Used:   21mm socket & ratchet to remove stock cranks from a 1995 Raleigh Matterhorn.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2004

Strengths:    Works as advertised
Made in USA

Bottom Line:
Never had a problem with stripping. Just make sure you use lots of grease. A good tool is one where you just use it over and over and not have to think about it. Then you know you've got a good one.

Bike Setup:   Yeti Arc

Submitted by Chris from High Point

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    Appears versatile

Weaknesses:    Hex head tends to round off

Bottom Line:
This review is for the "Crank Wrench and Puller" (model CWP-6). When the chips are down, and you're working with a tight hex bolt on a crank arm, I question it's reliability. I'm having to take my repair to a shop to finish the job. This tool didn't make the grade.

Similar Products Used:   None for Octalink type cranks

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 3

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    Workmanship

Bottom Line:
I've had this tool for 12 years and not a single complaint. It does what it claims to do. If there is a better crank puller out there, tell me.

Bike Setup:   Tommasini Sintesi. Yeti ARC

Submitted by bhart a Weekend Warrior from northboro massacusetts

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    pulls cranks with ease
quality build

Weaknesses:    likes to hit my pedals

Bottom Line:
this thing does what it is asked to do and does it well. so far no problems. if you dont have one, you should buy one

Submitted by Joe from NY

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    got the cranks off

Weaknesses:    the arm is captive, so you must spin it completely around, increasing the possibility of skinning your knuckles on the pedals or chainstays. Other designs have a hex with a movable arm which is easier to use.

Bottom Line:
works but look for the style where the ratchets or is moveable, especially if you have toe clips

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   taiwan-made item which was better thought out, but wasmade more cheaply and eventually broke.

Submitted by Dustin Smith a Cross Country Rider from Kelowna B.C

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Strengths:    This is a really nice tool and does the job of pulling crans with ease even with really tight ones. for a tool its not to bad is size the threads seem a little too fine and make it stiff at times

Bottom Line:
If your in to mechanics like me and are alwaya wanting to clean your bike or grease the threads get this tool, its guarateed you'll use it alot more than just once.

Favorite Trail:   all that I've been on

Purchased At:   given to me

Bike Setup:   specialized FSR with XT hollow tech cranks, I can't use this tool on those. gotta get another one I guess,

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from WI

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
What can I say, it pulls cranks, and it pulls them well. I have been a bike mechanic for little under 2 years, and this puller has been used day in and day out and still works great as when I first got it. As for the short lever, cant do too much to change that unless you want to take the pedals off every time you pull a crank and that could become very anoying, so instead wrap some handle bar tape around it and she will feel great every time you pull a crank no matter how hard it is go get off. I also keep grease on the threads, just like any other bolt that you would grease.

Bike Setup:   Who cares, it is a tool review.

Submitted by grannygear a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1999

Strengths:
price
versatility

Weaknesses:
inside threads cross threaded after a year of use.

Bottom Line:
It worked great while it lasted but the handle threads cross threaded while pulling a tight crank.

all local trails

1 Year

Submitted by jamie a Racer from nova scotia

Date Reviewed: July 4, 1999

Strengths:
gets cranks off easily

Weaknesses:
the handle could be a little longer but thata is no problem unless you are weak

Bottom Line:
it works really good. It cost 20 bucks but I think it will last forever so it is all hits and no misses

i like it all