Park Tool Consumer Truing Stand TS-7 Tools

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Park Consumer Truing Stand TS-7

Submitted by Mike Schwartz

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    It is a Park tool, so the general quality is good. I have had mine for many years now.

Weaknesses:    The sliding gauge/guide is the deal breaker. It is pretty much impossible to position the gauge/guide for fine adjustments. I am looking for a method or product to retrofit the stand with a threaded gide that will allow small movements in the gide.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I have seen less expensive truing stands that are easier to use. The real shortcoming is moving the gauge/guide.

Submitted by Ed

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2012

Strengths:    Solidly built and easy to use.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't mind a screw adjustment, but the sliding gauge is good enough.

Bottom Line:
I bought my TS7 used for $25. The best $25 I ever spent. This thing is rock solid and easy to use. I have trued at least a hundred wheels using this tool and have never seen the need to anchor it to anything. I true my wheels at the kitchen table with a white piece of paper and a good light. Centering the wheels between stays is easy, just flip the wheel every once in a while. Once you get the hang of it moving the sliding gauge is pretty simple. I can usually true a wheel in five or ten minutes. Sure makes it nice when you adjust the brakes on trued wheels.

Submitted by JackAlope a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Strengths:    Beefy, includes dishing tool. Thats it.

Weaknesses:    Hard to true, hard to set to the right clearance for the hub, pain to do also. You can only true 1 side at a time, plastic components do not compliment beefy steel frame.

Bottom Line:
I suppose if you dont build much its okay, i would go for a stand that can true both sides. It includes a dishing guage, thats nice of them. Basically its price does not justify its pain in the assness that comes along for the ride.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff and repeatible

Weaknesses:    Needs to be bolted down

Bottom Line:
I bought a performance/minoura stand, but took it back - it was just too flimsy for serious wheel building or truing. Once bolted down, or bolted to some slats, the Park stand is a rock. I'm not sure why they bother to include a dishing tool. The stand is so solid and repeatable that I find it's much quicker and easier to just keep flipping the wheel back and forth to keep the rim on center. This is just a great tool. I haven't run across anything that compares. I made some slats with wingnuts that I bolt the stand to. That way it comes apart quickly and stores easily.

Favorite Trail:   Page Mill

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Performance/Minoura

Bike Setup:   road and mountain

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    Strong construction
Comes with dish tool

Weaknesses:    Tippy unless clamped down
Some plastic parts

Bottom Line:
The frame of this stand will last forever. Some of the fittings are of questionable quality - stamped steel parts of insufficient strength - OK if you're careful.

If you can't build wheels fast with this thing, it's because you can't build wheels fast, period. It's your skill level that's limiting you, not this stand. I've built half a dozen wheels on this stand, and it works.

Purchased At:   MEC

Submitted by joe from ny

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Beefy base and arms
Included dishing unit is super beefy for the job it does.

Weaknesses:    wimpy, weak bolts used for assembly, I broke one of the included 1/4" carriage bolts with only about 2 lbs/ft of torque.
The adjustment of the truing gauge is difficult and jerky.
Takes a long time to true a wheel.

Bottom Line:
I don't understand why some components (base, uprights and wheel dishing tool) are so heavy and beefy (3/16 and 1/4 steel), yet all the bolts are substandard and the sliding surfaces and adjustable truing portions are cheap, crappy, sticky plastic and flimsy metal. Will get the job done, but investigate other choices.

Bike Setup:   true 26 and 700c wheels

Submitted by Michael J. Ritter a Cross-Country Rider from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Strengths:
Comes with dishing gauge

Weaknesses:
Truing gauge is only on one side. Also, the truing gauge must be manually moved in and out, which is significantly harder to control than if it was mounted on a screw. The truing stand has to be assembled and for all its weight, it will not stand on its own (i.e., has to mounted to something).

Bottom Line:
Forget my previous review, this product is far inferior to other products that are in the same price range. After using the Park TS-7 for $55, I bought the Performance Spin Doctor truing stand for $39.99 from www.performancebike.com (note, does not include dishing gauge) and it is so much better than Park's TS-7 that it is ridiculous (for your reference the TS-7 includes the $18 dishing gauge so the prices are almost identical for the stands). In short, the Performance Spin Doctor truing stand remedies all the weaknesses of the TS-7. For example, it has truing gauges on all three sides of the rim, the truing gauges are mounted on screws, the stand will stand on its own, and requires no assembly. Additionally, you can true a wheel at least three times faster than on the TS-7. I apologize for my earlier review, I just didn't know you could get the feature of a great truing stand for the same price as the TS-7.

3 months

Performance Spin Doctor truing stand

True mountain bike wheels

Submitted by Michael J. Ritter a Cross-Country Rider from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
Very solid and inexpensive.

Weaknesses:
Although there is a rim gauge on only one side, I didn't find that to be too much of a problem. However, I agree with the post below that they should have mounted it so that a screw moves it back and forth.

Bottom Line:
This is an almost perfect truing stand for the home mechanic. In my view, the dishing gauge is a must for any truing stand (maybe I am old fashioned but I don't trust automatic centering devices) and it is included. Park, if you are listening, please mount the rim gauge with a screw for adjusting and you can get five chilis.

less than 1 month

None.

I built up a rear wheel with a new Mavic mtb rim.

Submitted by N. Dough a Cross-Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Inexpensive and solidly built. Comes with dishing gauge.

Weaknesses:
One-sided feeler/indicator arm.

Bottom Line:
This is a completely functional and servicable truing stand for those home mechanics who only trues wheels occasionally. The stand is stable, can be clamped or bolted to a bench and performs all of the same basic functions of the $170 professional truing stand. It does not auto center and does not have a tilting base (although I built one) but it's all I need to maintain three sets of wheels.

El Corte Madera

1 Year

N/A

Submitted by Sherman a weekend warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

This stand is great for the consumer. It is solid and it mounts on a bench if needed. It is also great because it comes with the dishing guage. I have rebuilt wheels on this stand and I love it. The only bad thing is the needle or the part you place against the rim. It would have been better if it was a screw instead of a piece of metal mounted on an adjustable spot. I find that if it was a screw it would help true the wheel better. But other than that it is great.