Park Tool Chain Cleaner Tools

2.59/5 (41 Reviews)

Park Chain Cleaner

Submitted by botski a Cross Country Rider from Saint Paul, MN

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Strengths:    I will stretch here, but I believe the strength of this product is that it is so bad it will inspire Park Tools to make something much better.

Weaknesses:    How do I count the ways. I love Park Tools with my heart and soul but this device is utterly amazingly crap.
1. The handle is designed to slide off the body. Why???? It's not like this thing is 100 cubic feet in volume and needs to be disassembled for storage. The handle was constantly coming off during use.
2. Cheap plastic. Broke after 3 uses. There are two metal rings that pop over the top plastic part and they kept falling out of the bottom plastic piece consistently as a prelude to the whole thing breaking.
3. Messy. Water and cleaner all over the place.
4. Created too much drag which caused the chain to pop off after 1-2 seconds of pedal rotation. This would not be a problem if you had a stand and could pedal forward.

Bottom Line:
My inner self will be at peace buying a new chain rather than farting around with this thing. A tool is supposed to help us, not hinder us. It really doesnt even deserve a flamin' chili.

Submitted by Patrick a Racer from Southwest Harbor, ME, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to use - using a little less common sense than degreaser, this thing works just fine. Doesn't bind or do any other bad stuff. I use WD-40 in it - works much better than simple green.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work well with simple green. The pad that collects the extra solvent sticks to simple green and will bind or just get sucked out of the machine. It seems to drip no matter what. Also, there are no holes for the reservoir below the pad to drain back into the main reservoir. This would be a great help for bike shop use.

Bottom Line:
This will get a chain, in one run, as clean as you need it. I've used this thing 20 times a day for months and it's great. Use WD-40, wipe it off after you clean it, let it dry, and re-lube with your lube of choice. Let that dry and wipe off before riding. Don't use simple green. Other than that, get one if you like clean chains.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   brushes, taking chains off, rags, etc

Bike Setup:   many different ones - bike mechanic

Submitted by Cross Country a Cross Country Rider from Upland, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    It will scrub your chain.

Weaknesses:    Made of the most brittle plastics on the planet.

Bottom Line:
This thing cleans my chain OK. But it breaks too easily. The first one I had shattered like glass when I dropped it from chain height. I was surprised to see it break like that, but since I *did* drop it, I figured I was to blame and I bought another. I used the second one about a half dozen times before one of the cogs inside exploded. That time it was clearly not of my doing. My LBS warrantied it, and I'm on number three now , babying it all the way. It is messy, as some reviewers complain, but that doesn't really bother me. I just wish they would stay together.

Submitted by Andy Clements a Cross Country Rider from Afton, MN

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, resists solvent degredation

Weaknesses:    Somewhat jerky, needs getting used to.

Bottom Line:
This product is best suited for those that are looking for a quick way to clean their chain. It is easy to setup and fill, and provides a quick way to remove most anything. The only way to get a truly clean chain is still to clean it by hand, but this works great for shops that try to get things done when they are swamped or you are just trying to do a medium strength cleaning (all I ever do for my MTB anyway).

I used this in the shop where I used to work for quite some time and used it with some pretty nasty chemicals (snow board base cleaner), and had no problems whatsoever.

If you are having problems holding the cleaner in place, just remove the handle and hold the main body. You have a lot more control over where you aim the chain to on the rings and can control the twist of the unit so that less solution spills.

Be sure to put a rag on the floor or use it somewhere with a floor that does not mattter, becuase the chain drips and there is a fair chance that you will drip solution as you get used to using this tool.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Bike Setup:   POS GT and a road bike

Submitted by Merlin a Cross Country Rider from Saltcoats, SK. Canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    Solidly built, works well, easy to clean

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
Geez, I don't know what the guys below are doing wrong, but I clean my chain about once a week and I love this thing.I have the Cyclone CM-5, which may be an upgraded model to those reviewed below. The Finish Line cleaner that I tried before, lasted about 6 months before it fell apart-it literally cracked and fell apart. This thing is like a Timex watch, it just keeps on tickin'. It cleans the chain thoroughly, outside and inside. Yeah, sometimes it spills a bit, put a rag on the floor under it, problem solved. Fill it up with environmentally responsible Citrus Solvent and you have a sparkling clean chain in a couple of minutes. Wipe off the excess, let it dry and lube it up with White Lightning, couldn't be simpler and tidier. The one trick I found was rather than setting the chain on the smallest rings front and rear, which makes it run on a sharp angle, set it on the middle rings front and rear = straight chainline = jumping problem solved. 5 Flamin Chili's from me.

Favorite Trail:   Moose Lake Loop

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Co-op

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line chain cleaner.

Bike Setup:   '03 Norco Charger upgraded to an LX drive train and an '05 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA Fork.

Submitted by Kicker Of Elves a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    The sample degreaser was ok.

Weaknesses:    Everything else.

Bottom Line:
I went to the bike store to get a chain removal tool, and was conned into buying this horrible device instead. It made the pleasurable experience of cleaning and lubing my bike into a nightmare. It's already been said in countless reviews here why this product sucks so much, ie. rotating brush not turning, pulling the chain off the chainrings, solvent all over the place. This piece of garbage can damage your bike. I feel duped by the bike shop and by the company that put out this wretched product. I wasted alot of money I don't have. I'm going back tomorrow for a refund. Stay away from it. I'd give a negative rating if I could.

Favorite Trail:   Kalapore

Purchased At:   Pierik's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   toothbrush and degreaser

Bike Setup:   03 Giant Rainier

Submitted by phxartboy from Phx, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    A friend bought this worthless device and we tried it on 2 completely different bike setups thinking maybe it didn't like the first bike. Both times it didn't turn and popped open and spilled solvent everywhere. A toothbrush is a far better investment.

Bottom Line:
Worthless piece of crap! How could a company sell this junk with a straight face?

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Trials, XC

Submitted by Cory Petty a Cross Country Rider from Peoria Heights IL. USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    This Run-Of-the-Mill Paint Thinner works great.It cuts like a knife: You need to have 4 different kinds of Brushes, from Tooth, to Detail, to Paint.(The Wide One)

Weaknesses:    Have to have a lot of Paper Towel, and where Rubber gloves. Have to be well ventilated, and if you can soak your chain in thinner, it's all good!!I use a spray bottle.

Bottom Line:
Clean your chain with solvent, not that P**** Citris
S***! Remember, You can always solve it with solvent!!

Favorite Trail:   Springdale Hoop Circuit

Purchased At:   Lowe's

Similar Products Used:   Kerosine, Acrylsol,Adhesive Release.

Bike Setup:   Traditional

Submitted by Anton a Cross Country Rider from Seattle,WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    it's name

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
I bought this because it looked a little more bomb proof then the others (I've broken them a couple of times by accident, not real tough). It's bomb proof, but doesn't clean chains fer jack! Chain gets bound up on inner workings and stops all-of-a sudden adn degreaser ends up everywhere. Just doesn't work very well in general. The brush in the upper part doesn't stay in and makes it a pain to get the two halves together.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   finish line

Bike Setup:   schwinn homegrown

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    It woked well.

Weaknesses:    The head of the hand brush kept popping out of its holder.

Bottom Line:
Park must have done a redesign of this thing. Its called the CG-2 chain cleaning system. It worked great. Just put the chain on both smallest cogs, snap the tool around the chain, fill it with supplied cleaner and crank away. It got the into the chain well and scrubbed the sides totally clean with minimal drippage. What the tool missed inside of the chain, the hand brush got afterwards. Just rest the chain on the stay and push bristles into the holes then re-run chain through the tool again to get the stuff the hand brush loosened up. No problems holding the tool or cranking the chain through it.
Did 2 fills on it and the chain looks like new. The old solvent washed out of the tool and its brushes real easy with hot water. It even has a magnet in the bottom to catch metal shards from re-depositing on the clean chain.
I did notice while cleaning it afterwards the pins might slip out of the round brush wheels pretty easy if not careful. Replacement pins can be bought at Bike Nashbar for $2.49
The only thing that sucked was the separate handbrush head kept popping out of its plastic holder. I loaded it up with RTV silicone and snapped it back in to fix that.
I paid WAY too much at Black Mountaqin Bikes but knew that going into the place.
Since I only used it once I'll write back if it turns into junk.
BTW I don't work for Park.

Here's the kit: http://www.parktool.com/tools/CG_2.shtml

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Purchased At:   Black Mountain Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Toothbrush and solvent.

Bike Setup:   Dual suspension mountain bike.

Submitted by Matthew a Weekend Warrior from Renton

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Strengths:    seems durable, easy to use

Weaknesses:    will not perform magical chain cleaning stunts, needs a drain bucket under it to prevent a mess.

Bottom Line:
I cleaned my chain once and it required about 20 cleaner changes using degreaser then soapy water and finally hot water to rinse. Considering how dirty the chain was this was about what I expected. The very first time I put it on the chain it was impossible to use smoothly and then the chain fell off but I never had that problem again. Considering the inherent difficulty in cleaning chains this product worked well. Don't buy this product if you expect miracles or don't mind taking the chain off and scrubing it by hand.

Similar Products Used:   solvent tank/brush

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Submitted by bigbon a Weekend Warrior from riverside, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    -cleans chain

Weaknesses:    can't tell when fluid in resevoir is used up

Bottom Line:
put some simple green in there turn it till the simple green is used up and let the cleaner sit for a few minutes then wipe off and lube. Somebody shoud be able to make one of these that is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain