Park Tool AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit Tools

The AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit is a special 37-piece collection of our finest ?shop quality? tools, all packaged in a tough tool box.

Submitted by gdpolk a Cross Country Rider from Conway, AR

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Has almost everything you would need for routine maintenance and repairs. In the four years that I have used it the only tool that I needed to add was a set of cable cutters. I would like a fourth hand tool too but that really isn't necessary.

Weaknesses:    Lubes, tube patches, and tire boot aren't tools but they are handy and have been used so whatever... it isn't a big deal. I also didn't care to have the chain cleaner but that is just because I prefer to use a rag so that tool was never used.

Bottom Line:
In the past four years this has worked for ALL of my maintenance and repair needs plus the needs of several friends. The finish on some of the tools like the pedal wrench shows signs of use but it hasn't chipped or scratched off or anything. The tools are nice, high quality tools worthy of professional shop use. The only tool that I have added is a set of cable cutters but would like to add a fourth hand tool as well soon. The fourth hand tool isn't necessary for anything but just makes installing cables a tad easier.

The set comes with some tools that you probably already have like screwdrivers and hex keys but I actually like this and here is why. I have everything I need right there in the Park box. This means that I don't have to go pull tools from my other box when working on my bikes. But most importantly I like to throw my bike tools behind my seat in my truck when going to the trails and I never have to get extra tools just in case. Most repairs can be done in the trail but I have done two repair jobs that my multi tool just couldn't cut it for using this set plus helped another rider replace broken cranks at the trailhead. This sure beat driving into town!

Also some of the stuff like the lubes and tire patches aren't actually tools but they are items that you will use so who cares. Mine got used and I would have paid for those items anyway.

All in all, this set has been fantastic. If you want to do your own wrenching then pick one up. It is well worth it. Some of the tools may be duplicated from your regular box but then again that isn't bad if you like everything for a bike in one place and when you get ready to go out you can have it all there. You will want a set of cable cutters too but hold off on those until you need to install new cables anyway.

Some like to buy tools as they need them. This allows you to buy them up front at a nice price and just have them when you need them. Park Tool is more expensive than the other names but their stuff is good. Their quality is why almost every bike shop in the nation uses Park over the other brands.

Favorite Trail:   xc singletracks

Purchased At:   online - can't remem

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter, this is about tools

Submitted by vins0010 a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Good Park Tools, Get a Healthy Set of Bike Specific Tools in one shot.

Weaknesses:    For non bike-specific tools (e.g., hex/allen wrenches, screwdrivers), can do better elsewhere.

Bottom Line:
I've been doing more work on my bikes, driving my decision to get this kit. I also had almost zero tools - or total crap ones that came with this no-name kit I bought when I went to college. I was open to getting the set with some bike specific tools, with some others ones as well. I like the bike specific tools that come with it - and I have everything I need to do what I want. But the non-bike specific tools are not as well-liked. I use a separate set of allen wrenches over the Y ones included with the kit. The wrenches aren't as nice as a set you could pick up at Sears. The screwdrivers are okay. All work fine.

I am happy with the set as I had so few tools before and got a good price, but if you already have wrenches, some bike lube and tools, screwdrivers, and accessories (a fair amount of this kit's items aren't really tools - a patch kit is not a tool) I would consider pricing the individual bike tools/accessories you need vs. the price of this kit - to see what works best for you. There is some stuff you may never use on your bike, but, as I get more into it, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I have what I need to do some more advanced repairs.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, nc, United States

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    The box looks cool, people think you are cooler and know what you are doing because you have a cool box.

Weaknesses:    Finish shows wear easily. Pedal wrench is most easily compensated for piece of equipment ever. Box does not have a spot for every tool they just jingle around in the bottom. They are not bad it's just that you can get similar stuff of similar if not superior quality by going to the hardware store and getting the hex and cone wrenches. Then just buying what you need at the bike shop. They should not categorize two different types of lube as tools, also two dollar plastic tire levers and a brush are lame supplements for tools.

Bottom Line:
You can probably put together a better tool kit for less money on your own. Just buy the specialty stuff you need when you need it.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Other tools.