Home | Reviews | Tools | Pamir

Pamir Engineering Hyper cracker Tools

Pamir Engineering Hyper cracker

Submitted by Philip Lohman a Cross Country Rider from Long Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Inspired simplicity

Weaknesses:    None that I can see

Bottom Line:
The first time I tried this out I was astonished -- it worked exactly as advertised. Haven't had to use it to replace any rear spokes yet but I always take it along when I tour. Note -- the package has a simple set of directions for using it; take these along in your tool kit, since the Hypercracker isn't a tool you'll use all the time.

Favorite Trail:   Pacific Bike Route

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Outfitter, Los Altos, CA

Similar Products Used:   Standard Park tool and wrench

Bike Setup:   Fuji Touring Series II loaded touring bike. All Shimano drivetrain.

Submitted by Russell Seaton a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    Simple, light, and it works.

Weaknesses:    Only for emergency use. Not as quick or easy as the official tools.

Bottom Line:
I always carry this tool when touring. Easier to carry than the Park tool and a big adjustable wrench. Takes a bit of effort to get it in the lockring and put the rear wheel back in the dropouts before the tool falls out. But for getting the cassette off when out in the middle of no where, it is the only thinkg to have. I did use this tool for several years during the annual overhauls before I became rich and could afford a $5 Park tool and big adjustable wrench. I don't really suggest this and recommend saving up for the official easier to use tools.

There are two different Pamir tools. One is for the lockring which threads into the freehub. The other is like a small chain whip and removes the threaded cog lockring.

Favorite Trail:   paved roads

Similar Products Used:   Park Shimano lockring remover and big adjustable wrench.

Bike Setup:   Shimano lockring.

Submitted by DAn a Cross-Country Rider from Camas, WA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1999

Strengths:
compact, lightweight, works a treat

Weaknesses:
none really. Standing on the pedals to torque off the lockring seems like it might cause problems in the long term (stripped tool or lockring), but it's fantastic for trailside repair.

Bottom Line:
Touring in SE Asia, I snapped a spoke on a nasty gravel road just east of the Laos/Vietnam border. I deserve part of the blame for loading all my luggage on the back, rather than splitting it up. Of course it was on the right side of the back wheel, and I had to nurse the bike another 70 miles into the next big town (Hue), where I was not too surprised to find that none of the local bike mechanics had ever seen a lockring before. Ready to chuck it all and fly home when I met a Dutch cycle tourer who had the Hyper-Cracker and let me use it. Beautiful-made me proud to be an American. I never should have left the States without it, and it will be the second thing I buy when I get home (the first being a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale).

Hiway 9 from Vientiane-Savannakhet, Laos

tested or demo'ed only

Bottom-line and dirt cheap Fisher Gitche Gumee. Original equipment was crap (but that's what you get for $300). I put on new handlebars, saddle, cranks, drivetrain, back wheel, cranks and pedals and it's been a solid (if heavy) touring machine.

Submitted by kelvin a Cross-Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Easy removal of cassettes!
No need for kinky chainwhips.

Weaknesses:
none I've seen

Bottom Line:
It kicks ass ! So much easier to use for removing and installing HG cassettes. Simply place bike in granny/large rear cog, place tool on splines, put arm against chainstay - plastic bit saves the paint work, and pedal forward and hey presto removed HG block.
The best, most well thought out tool ever!

Guildford

1 Year

Shimano removal tool - broke. Made of cheese.

DNA ti, Pace EVO II's, Middleburn XT etc.