Morningstar Tools Freehub Buddy Tools

• Allows for the flushing/lubrication of Shimano freehubs
  • Removal of freehub dust shield needed for interface
  • Replace old dustshield with reusable dustshield
  • Use Morningstar Freehub Soup lube (3 grades)

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    A wonderfully outstanding product that is so simple yet accomplishes a seemingly complex task of servicing the freehub. A well designed product that does exactly what it is intended to do. Quick, easy and effortless method to perform a task that is not done often enough.

Weaknesses:    I have not discovered any weaknesses or deficiencies.

Bottom Line:
I’m not sure what else can be said of this outstanding product. It can be used to not only lubricate the freehub, but to clean and purge old grease, dirt, and contaminates from the freehub. It can be used to flush by injecting the solvent of your choosing, and then add low pressure air to facilitate the purging of solvents prior to using the lubricant of choice. Some prefer outboard motor lower end lubricant, but after using Morningstar’s Soup Lube, I won’t be using anything else. I suggest using this on your new freehubs prior to installing for better than new results.

Submitted by IRONMAN1518

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    Simple design, easy to use, does a great job!

Weaknesses:    Uh............wish it was cheaper? (Told you I was cheap). Not enough riders/shops use it.

Bottom Line:
I love simplicity and ease of use. This so simple device does the job! Love it! You can flush out all the crap (old grease and dirt), that sometimes even a parts washer won't get all of it out. And then you can fill it with you favorite grease/oil/lube/mix. I remember seeing them years ago and saying "That is the ticket!" But didn't buy one (I'm too cheap). bought one last year, kicked myself for not having bought one way back then. Great invention Paul! I've always been a stickler for everything being greased/oiled and I see too many riders pay no attention to the free hub. It is a spinning part, has bearings and does need lubrication.

Submitted by Velocio a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines, IA USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    WOW, flushed the grit out of my shimano deore freehubs like a power washer. ( i cut off and threaded in an older nylon turkey baster) Completely filled with the freehub mechanism with Psul's soup, or my teflon semifluid mix. Amazing, and the morningstar seals are far superior to shimano's

Weaknesses:    my freehubs are so quiet, my friends can't hear me freewheeling in a pace line. LOL without the buzzing freewheel the birds and cows sound so d*** loud..... my bikes requires so little maintance, I don't have anything to do on super bowl sunday any more....

Bottom Line:
won't be using too often, as the superior seals and teflon, and teflon ceramic lubes will never wear out or get contaminated over my life time.... LOL

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon River Valley

Purchased At:   Morningstar tools we

Similar Products Used:   nothing else on the market

Bike Setup:   trek 520 touring with shimano deore LX group, marin mt vision with deore xt

Submitted by evtkw a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
I had an old 1995 XTR hub that was totally silent - I couldn't even feel the clicks, and I like that. The bike was stolen, and I replaced the rear with a shimano XTR FH-M965 hub.

After building the wheel, I found the freehub ratcheting to be pretty loud, so I took off the freehub and lubed it with the Freehub Buddy. I used the Morningstar Freehub soup lubricant also. After reassembling, the freehub was totally silent and very smooth running!

I also have an old Dura Ace hub that was totally silent, but after many miles started to skip. I took it off, flushed it with the tool and then re-lubricated it, and now it has been working perfectly and totally silent for over a year. I am totally pleased with the product!

Purchased At:   Morningstartools.com

Submitted by ncjumper a Cross Country Rider from West Palm Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2010

Strengths:    Very easy to use. I lubed the freehubs in conjuction with putting ceramic bearings in two wheelsets and this was the easiest part of the job. Squish out the old lube, and squish in the new. Done. I ordered the lube that goes with it and I would recommend that as well, even if you end up wanting a different lube you can reuse the syringe that screws into the tool. $30 is a pretty good price for a tool that will last forever.

Weaknesses:    None that I can forsee.

Bottom Line:
If you are going to rebuild your wheels at regular intervals like you probably should, this would make a good purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Dyer park and some other double track

Purchased At:   Outside Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   None, I don't think that there is any comparable product at all that I have seen.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic with a custom build.

Freehub buddy for non-Shimano hubs?

Does the Freehub Buddy work on other freehubs besides Shimano? Specifically the Ritchey hubs but also others.Read More »