Home | Reviews | Tools | Mavic

Mavic UST Spoke Wrench Tools

1.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Please note:These wrenchs are only for use with Mavic wheels. This handyTool is used forTruing and adjusting spokeTension on Mavic UST wheels. Available inTwo models, one for Mavics Zicral spokes (Mavic part # M40652) and one for steel spokes (Mavic Part # M40630). Use Mavic part # M40652To adjust spokes on Deemax UST, Crossmax UST, Crossmax SL, Crossmax XL, Ksyrium SSC, Ksyrium SSC SL wheels, Crosstrail, Crossmax Enduro and Enduro Disc. Use Mavic part # M40630To adjustThe screwed eyelets on C

Submitted by vk45de a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    Ergonomic? Lightweight (I'm still not carrying it on rides)

Weaknesses:    Strips faster than a hooker w/ a $100 in her face

Bottom Line:
Was going to true my rear wheel for the 1st time, 30 minutes into true, the darn thing strips... Next time, I'll have to loosen every single spoke before beginning to true this.

Submitted by neex a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    This is one of the worst designed bike tools I have ever used (sorry Mavic - I do think you guys make the best aluminum rims out there however). The issue as another poster has mentioned is leverage and ease of use (I lost count how many times I dropped this damn thing). I built up a set of 819s with this and it was a bit of a painfull experience. I built up another set using the Park variant that has a nice rubber grip and a nice thin lever action to make the already ugly job much easier. I don't recall if my LBS threw this is with my 819 build supplies or if I paid for it. What I can tell you is that this tool frustrated me to no end and I only ever used it once. I dropped it and nearly scratched my rim, etc. To be fair, it is an exceptionally strong tool that will likely last forever. This problem is that it is a royal PITA to use. Yes, I have also used it only facing downward, braced with a hand, facing east at midnight... blah blah... not a fan of this tool. Get the Park one.

Weaknesses:    What I can tell you is that this tool frustrated me to no end and I only ever used it once. I dropped it and nearly scratched my rim, etc. To be fair, it is an exceptionally strong tool that will likely last forever. This problem is that it is a royal PITA to use. Yes, I have also used it only facing downward, braced with a hand, facing east at midnight... blah blah... not a fan of this tool. Get the Park one.

Bottom Line:
Be frustrated with the Mavic tool or save 3x the time and frustration with the Park. If there are any pro builders that use the Mavic tool, you have no idea how nice to Park is and how much time you will save. 2 for value because it DOES WORK...

Similar Products Used:   Park. No contest here.

Submitted by Brian Nystrom a Cross Country Rider from Nashua, NH

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2007

Strengths:    Plastic version: None other than the fact that it comes with the wheels
Steel version: Durable
Plastic spoke holding/aligning tool: Same as for plastic spoke wrench

Weaknesses:    Plastic version: It strips in a heartbeat, even when used by someone with a lot of wheel building/truing experience.

Steel version: Doesn't provide the same amount of leverage and as secure a grip as Park/Pedros loop-style spoke wrenches. The knob shape is awkward to use, as it's too clos to the rim
Plastic spoke holding tool: Provides very little leverage, awkward to use

Bottom Line:
The plastic wrench that comes with the wheels is basically junk. The steel version won't strip, but it can be awkward to use, particularly if you're using it in conjunction with the ridiculously poorly designed spoke holding/aligning tool. After decades of working with Park-style and "butterfly"-style spoke wrenches, the Mavic tools feel slow and clumsy.

While the plastic tools are light enough to carry on the bike, they're bulky and likely to let you down when you really need them.

Park's SW-13 Mavic spoke wrench seems like a much better solution, but I haven't tried one yet. It's too bad that they don't make a similarly shaped tool for holding the spokes.

My ratings are 1 for the plastic wrenches and 3 for the steel, for an average of 2

Bike Setup:   Used on Mavic Crossmax wheels