Leatherman Wave Tools

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Leatherman Wave

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Indiana

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    compactness. Many tools (the older one)

Weaknesses:    crappy weak screwdriver blades... i have one that is bent now..should have purchased the new Swiss Army multi-tool...better material and craftmanship

Bottom Line:
don't buy this knife unless you do wimpy project with it. Mine has a bent blade now.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   swiss army multi-tool

Bike Setup:   Schwinn aluminum frame / Shimano gearing

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Olive Branch

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    blades open without opening tool. rounded edges easy on the hands.

Weaknesses:    crappy wire cutters and small screwdriver blades tend to chip or bend

Bottom Line:
bought this tool to replace my original leathermans tool(lost it). i have no regrets. the original and the wave have saved my ass many times.

Favorite Trail:   the one less traveled

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   original leathermans, every tool you can imagine and some you cant.(i'm a tractor trailer mechanic)

Bike Setup:   giant iguana, old cannondale

Submitted by Fil a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide Australia

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable rounded edges, quality, very sharp, good mix of items, nice locking and one hand open, option toolkit

Weaknesses:    Nice pouch but bad press stud, I lost my first one trail walking cos it pops open - be warned. No easy carrying for the option pack.

Bottom Line:
Excellent for everything else the bike tool doesnt do!! Having lost one due to the crappy press stud on the pouch, I got another - that is an endorsement itself!!
Could be considered pricey, but when it comes to tools you get what you pay for. A mangled bolt from a poor tool costs alot more!!

Similar Products Used:   gerbers, swiss army, various pocket knives

Bike Setup:   A bike with bits requiring tools

Submitted by Dan from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    It has everything a dedicated bike tool doesn't. Compact. Better quality than most other multi tools including ones made by Leatherman.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and the small size makes it easy to loose. But I keep buying them (on my third). The knives ARE sharp.

Bottom Line:
Biked 800 miles from Helsinki to Warsaw with my Wave and a Park MT-1 mini tool and a chain breaker. Can't live without it.

Similar Products Used:   Gerber multi.

Submitted by Michael Nerdbucket a Downhiller from Exmouth

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Strengths:    Really good for cracking nuts.

Weaknesses:    It sinks man, which really cheesed me off when I dropped in while sailing in my dingy. I had to use a magnet on a long stick to get it back.

Bottom Line:
Really cool tool.
The only problem I had with it was when I used it to tease my dog. My dog bit me and I tripped and got the thing stuck up my ar*e and one of the blades like popped out so I couldn't pull it out so I had to get my friend to cut it out bit by bit with a like oxyacetaline torch... sure burnt the hell out of my bum hairs!

Favorite Trail:   a trail left by a slug on my shoe

Purchased At:   From a guy in the pub

Similar Products Used:   Spanner - which was really no good cos you could only crack nuts by smashing them with it really hard and the bits fly everywhere.

Bike Setup:   Only got one wheel at the moment cos I had to sell the rest of the bike to pay my phone bill.

Submitted by Rhane Brill a Weekend Warrior from Wildwood, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Strengths:    Tough tool; high quality stainless steel finish; easy to open and use; not heavy and VERY nice leather case came with it

Weaknesses:    None really!

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this tool for any cyclist. The great this is I also have the Leatherman Wave Tool Adapter. I carry both items with me when cycling just in case. The tool kit is very small and tucks in nicely in my bike pack.

I would recommend this tool for both men and women. This is not "just" another tool. Be careful of the very sharp blades. I recommend the Flair or Pulse tool for younger people (i.e. great first knife/tool for a boy scout)

Favorite Trail:   The beach trail

Purchased At:   http://www.cheapcheats.com

Similar Products Used:   I also own a Leatherman SuperTool. I prefer this one because the edges are rounded and it makes it easier to hold. I also think it's a little lighter then the Super Tool.

Submitted by Nikolas Ojala a Weekend Warrior from Tampere, Finland

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Strengths:    + The nylon belt pocket, always with me
+ Very useful screwdrivers, blades, cutter etc.
+ Good stainless steel

Weaknesses:    - Price maybe

Bottom Line:
This beats all the red Swiss multi-tool knifes. Really a tool, not a toy. I really would buy this again. No wonder that other makers have copied the idea. Because it is always with me, I have used it almost every day to some purpose since I bought it.