Leatherman Wave Tools

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Leatherman Wave

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Indiana

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    compactness. Many tools (the older one)

Weaknesses:    crappy weak screwdriver blades... i have one that is bent now..should have purchased the new Swiss Army multi-tool...better material and craftmanship

Bottom Line:
don't buy this knife unless you do wimpy project with it. Mine has a bent blade now.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   swiss army multi-tool

Bike Setup:   Schwinn aluminum frame / Shimano gearing

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Olive Branch

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    blades open without opening tool. rounded edges easy on the hands.

Weaknesses:    crappy wire cutters and small screwdriver blades tend to chip or bend

Bottom Line:
bought this tool to replace my original leathermans tool(lost it). i have no regrets. the original and the wave have saved my ass many times.

Favorite Trail:   the one less traveled

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   original leathermans, every tool you can imagine and some you cant.(i'm a tractor trailer mechanic)

Bike Setup:   giant iguana, old cannondale

Submitted by Fil a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide Australia

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable rounded edges, quality, very sharp, good mix of items, nice locking and one hand open, option toolkit

Weaknesses:    Nice pouch but bad press stud, I lost my first one trail walking cos it pops open - be warned. No easy carrying for the option pack.

Bottom Line:
Excellent for everything else the bike tool doesnt do!! Having lost one due to the crappy press stud on the pouch, I got another - that is an endorsement itself!!
Could be considered pricey, but when it comes to tools you get what you pay for. A mangled bolt from a poor tool costs alot more!!

Similar Products Used:   gerbers, swiss army, various pocket knives

Bike Setup:   A bike with bits requiring tools

Submitted by Dan from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    It has everything a dedicated bike tool doesn't. Compact. Better quality than most other multi tools including ones made by Leatherman.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and the small size makes it easy to loose. But I keep buying them (on my third). The knives ARE sharp.

Bottom Line:
Biked 800 miles from Helsinki to Warsaw with my Wave and a Park MT-1 mini tool and a chain breaker. Can't live without it.

Similar Products Used:   Gerber multi.

Submitted by Michael Nerdbucket a Downhiller from Exmouth

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Strengths:    Really good for cracking nuts.

Weaknesses:    It sinks man, which really cheesed me off when I dropped in while sailing in my dingy. I had to use a magnet on a long stick to get it back.

Bottom Line:
Really cool tool.
The only problem I had with it was when I used it to tease my dog. My dog bit me and I tripped and got the thing stuck up my ar*e and one of the blades like popped out so I couldn't pull it out so I had to get my friend to cut it out bit by bit with a like oxyacetaline torch... sure burnt the hell out of my bum hairs!

Favorite Trail:   a trail left by a slug on my shoe

Purchased At:   From a guy in the pub

Similar Products Used:   Spanner - which was really no good cos you could only crack nuts by smashing them with it really hard and the bits fly everywhere.

Bike Setup:   Only got one wheel at the moment cos I had to sell the rest of the bike to pay my phone bill.

Submitted by Rhane Brill a Weekend Warrior from Wildwood, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Strengths:    Tough tool; high quality stainless steel finish; easy to open and use; not heavy and VERY nice leather case came with it

Weaknesses:    None really!

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this tool for any cyclist. The great this is I also have the Leatherman Wave Tool Adapter. I carry both items with me when cycling just in case. The tool kit is very small and tucks in nicely in my bike pack.

I would recommend this tool for both men and women. This is not "just" another tool. Be careful of the very sharp blades. I recommend the Flair or Pulse tool for younger people (i.e. great first knife/tool for a boy scout)

Favorite Trail:   The beach trail

Purchased At:   http://www.cheapcheats.com

Similar Products Used:   I also own a Leatherman SuperTool. I prefer this one because the edges are rounded and it makes it easier to hold. I also think it's a little lighter then the Super Tool.

Submitted by Nikolas Ojala a Weekend Warrior from Tampere, Finland

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Strengths:    + The nylon belt pocket, always with me
+ Very useful screwdrivers, blades, cutter etc.
+ Good stainless steel

Weaknesses:    - Price maybe

Bottom Line:
This beats all the red Swiss multi-tool knifes. Really a tool, not a toy. I really would buy this again. No wonder that other makers have copied the idea. Because it is always with me, I have used it almost every day to some purpose since I bought it.

Similar Products Used:   Wenger multi-tool knife, Victorinox

Bike Setup:   Just a mountain bike

Submitted by gavin a Weekend Warrior from regina

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Strengths:    Quality

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. The best multi tool on the market. Better than the old Leathermans in comfort and safety, I don't leave home without it, in fact I have two.

Similar Products Used:   All manner of tools, from 5 dollar crap to this

Bike Setup:   raven

Submitted by Glen Willms a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, BC

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Strengths:
High Quality
Very comfortable to use. Quick access tools...

Weaknesses:
Uhm... Just the hit to your wallet

Bottom Line:
By it, for work, for play. Great for everything... Pull it out with pride... Mine is always in my pocket.

3 months

LeatherMan (plain)

Doesn't matter... works anytime, anywhere

Submitted by Aaron a Cross-Country Rider from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Strengths:
Impeccable quality
Pliers are indispensible for bikes

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
I bought this shortly before a 2 week bike trip and it proved outstanding. The quality is excellent and the pliers saved our butts again and again.
My only complaint was the price. It was $125 down here, but it should be a fair amount less. Note also that the wire cutter section of the pliers is not effective for cutting cables on your bike.
Overall, highly recommended. A must if you any long distance traveling in remote areas.

3 months

Top Peak Alien

1999 GF Big Sur

Servo Wave Vs. Fixed Brake Levers for V-Brakes

I understand the theoretical advantages/differences, but how about in actual use? What are the pros and cons from your experience? Scott NovakRead More »

Truvativ Descendant play - wave washer?

I recently installed a set of 175mm Descendants w/ 73mm shell. I'm having trouble with play in the crankset. The problem is on the driveside. The GXP bb has a plastic 'sleeve washer' on the driveside which sits between the bearing and the spindle. When installed and tightened down there is a gap b ... Read More »

Heat wave coming! 100 at Demo by Monday?!?

Clicked on the NOAA map for a forecast for Demo - get going early, or better yet go tomorrow! And with the heat, get ready for the usual traffic jams to and from the beach! Friday Sunny, with a high near 83. Saturday Sunny, with a high near 94. Sunday Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Mond ... Read More »

So Cal HEET Wave

On the trail: Its warm, miserable, humid and dusty. Sometimes its plain too hot to ride. Drink plenty of water if you do and carry some. Also pretend its the middle of January and 47 degrees at 9PM on a night ride. That may help appreciate the warmness. Good day, keep warm:DRead More »

new wave of 2x tensioners

Theres a new wave of all these 2x chain devices. The first was the MRP I believe. I've heard some mixed reviews on it. On all my bikes I've rode 2x with a blackspire stinger its cheap and works. These new ones are looking nice and slightly lighter. MRP has there 2x E13 has there trs+ dual ... Read More »