Home | Reviews | Tools | Finish

4.19/5 (32 Reviews)

Finish Line Chain Cleaner

Submitted by wyo_biker a Weekend Warrior from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to use if you follow the instructions.

Weaknesses:    None I've noticed.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product last spring and have used it at least five or six times this season and it works great. I followed the instructions and haven’t had any problems and it really does an excellent job cleaning my chain. I ran out of the “Finish Line Solvent” that came with the unit and am now using “Simple Green” cleaner, which is a water soluble cleaner and it works even better. My chain shines when after using this product. I highly recommend it.

Looking at some of the other reviews - I think the key to successful use of this product is to read and follow the instructions!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 30

Submitted by BG from Albany NY

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Strengths:    does the job when new

Weaknesses:    brushes disintegrated after a few years

Bottom Line:
This was a made in Italy unit purchased around 2002. I just took it out (4/2005) and found that the brush body material was decomposing and the brushes just fell apart. Unit wasn't exposed to any strong solvents and was air dried after each use. Used maybe 10 times over the last few years. I'll stick with the Park cleaner.

Similar Products Used:   Park

Submitted by Jason Nault a Cross Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    Very easy to use and set up, sits nicely on it's base even when full of degreaser.

Weaknesses:    could clean side of chain a little better

Bottom Line:
For a poorly maintained chain I needed to run it through about three helpings of degreaser. Works great for everyday type cleanings but the old bucket of gas might be better for those really dirty chains. For the price, nothing compares to it's ease of use, and who can complain when it has a lifetime warranty. Maybe the older versions were made from a different material but this one seems very solid to me. Best option out there for cleaners of this type.

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   brush and bucket of gasoline

Bike Setup:   '03 Specialized Epic Comp with '04 Brain, Fox F80, crank bros pedals, Azonic carbon bars, shimano discs

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Clifton,NJ USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Easy of use, sturdy, lifetime guarantee

Bottom Line:
Not to beat a dead horse, but this product is amazing. To avoid spills, attach the machine to the chain and then add the degreaser...no spills! Practice using it without the degreaser first. Quickest way I ever cleaned a chain! $30 is the most I would pay for this thing. I wanted to buy it without the degreaser, but none of the LBS sold it that way. If you don't have the coin, use a toothbrush, degreaser and a bucket.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Toothbrush, bucket, and degreaser. First time I bought a chain cleaning product of this sort.

Submitted by Flaming-Butterfly a Cross Country Rider from Woodstick, IL

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Strengths:    Does what it says it will, reasonably priced, fantastic customer service!

Bottom Line:
I bought this chain cleaner 8-10 years ago based on a magazine recomendation. It has done a very good job through the years, and I'm sad to say it finally broke last month. I was going to buy a new one when I noticed it had a lifetime warranty. I decided to contact Finish Line about filing a warranty claim. Long story short, my new "kit" (not just the cleaner) arrived last week. I look forward to many years to come with this fantastic, easy to use tool. Finish Line has a customer for life.

Submitted by Bob Jones a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to use. Cleans chain pretty well. Clamps on nicely to the chain and stays in place. Don't even need to hold it while turning pedals.

Weaknesses:    Easy to spill degreaser until you get the hang of it. Degreaser that came with it is a concentrate that requires you mix with water (unless you're rich and can afford to use a little bottle every cleaning). It is a 120ml bottle and makes up to 1 ltr of degreaser. Problem is, the bottle is black and has no measuring line. So if you want to make 1/2 liter, there is no way to measure out 1/2 of the bottle. Used a measuring cup of my wife's the first time, but she caught me. I'm going to buy another degreaser to use with it.

Bottom Line:
I've used this a number of times and it is, in my opinion, much better and easier than the Park version of it (I'm comparing it to a Park that I bought 10 years ago and haven't used in a while, so maybe Park has improved it). I did spill a bunch of degreaser the first time I used it, but have been fine ever since. As far as it's durability goes, I guess we'll see, but the chain runs through it so smoothly, I can't see where there would be major stress points that would cause it break anywhere.
I'm marking it down 1 Flamin' Chli on value becuase I think all of this crap is overpriced, but it's no more overpriced than anybody elses.

Purchased At:   Local Sporting Goods Store

Similar Products Used:   Park chain cleaner

Bike Setup:   Mountain

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Works.

Weaknesses:    Fragile crap, in numerous ways.

Bottom Line:
Shoddy construction. First the holding arm broke off, then one of the three cleaning wheels broke off. Crap, crap, crap. Doesn't anyone make a decent chain cleaner made with materials of substance?

On the bright side, it did work, though it would spray a bit.

Favorite Trail:   Braille Trail

Purchased At:   Internet

Bike Setup:   3 bikes - Litespeed Tuscany, Santa Cruz Superlight, and Specialized M2 Comp.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bingo

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Strengths:    Clean the Chain

Weaknesses:    Poor durability. Two of them have broken where the derailer hanger attaches to the main body of cleaner. Little black brush pins fall out and are easy to lose when you clean it.

Bottom Line:
Does the job, but should be more durable and design should be improved.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Park

Bike Setup:   Trek MTB

Submitted by Seb H a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Great design. Awesome customer service!!! Lifetime warranty on product.

Bottom Line:
Finish line customer support was awesome. I had a problem with the chain cleaner and they took care of it no questions asked. What more can you ask for? They have a new customer for life!! The cleaner works great as well. If you're too lazy to take your chain off to clean it, definitely buy this product.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   GT Team Zaskar, Full XTR, Atom Race

Submitted by Michael Roux a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great Product, easy to use

Weaknesses:    Be carefull you can lose the pins that the brush wheels sit on.

Bottom Line:
Great product, first time I used it I lost the pin/ axle for one of the brush wheels, one 2 minute call to customer service, and they shipped me a rebuild kit with extra pins and brushes for free. More than I expected for user error. Everyone that owns a bike should have one of these. Five Chile's for a good product and the best customer service encounter I have ever had.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountian

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   97 Cannandale Killer V 900 HT, Fatty Super headshok, Front Disk, LaserBeam Wheelset, Syntace stem and bar.

Submitted by Larry a Weekend Warrior from Straemwood Il.

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to use.Cleans quickly and efficiently.No mess.

Bottom Line:
It works quickly and with little or no mess.Save some money and buy a citrus degreaser or Simple Green rather than the Finish Line product.They work just as well or better.There's no excuse having a dirty chain or drive.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Spin Doctor Cyclewerks

Similar Products Used:   Degreaser and tooth brush

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000 road bike.Ultegra hubs.Mavic Open wheel set.Selle Italia Genuine Gel saddle.SPD pedals.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta,Ga.

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap,gets the job done.

Weaknesses:    easy to lose the brush bushing.

Bottom Line:
Good tool I like mine alot.A previous reviewer said he wished the solvent was cheaper,not to worry just use SimpleGreen.I use it to clean all my parts

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   Razorback

Submitted by Peter Lang a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Efficient, simple and cleans 100%. What else can one ask for?

Weaknesses:    The Cleaner/Degreaser Solvent is a bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
I think everyone agrees that cleaning a bike is a simple and quick affair, until it comes to the chainrings, cogs and chain. It used to take me between half an hour to an hour to make these cleanish. It used to be a downright pain in the butt cleaning the drivetrain.
Purchased this product and washing the bike became a joy again. Cleaning the entire drivetrain then lubing it takes me less than 15 minutes now and there is no way I'm cleaning my chain without this very practical tool. I have no trouble with the quality of the housing. Just wished the solvent cost much less.

Favorite Trail:   any trail!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Park.

Submitted by Hud from Ft. Worth, Tx

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    The tool is so much easier and faster than cleaning by hand. The tool also doesn't make a big mess as when cleaning by hand; it did not splatter the cleaner.

Weaknesses:    Although the tool works fine, it feels somewhat flimsy.

Bottom Line:
I bought this tool based upon the mtbr reviews of the various chain cleaning tools (Finish Line, Park, and Pedro's), and I have to say that I am pleased with my choice. I definitely recommend it.

While I prefer to have a clean chain (smoother riding), it might be just as easy to buy a new chain more frequently than to clean it. The price is probably about the same whether you buy a chain or purchase more degreaser.

Purchased At:   SuperGo