Feedback Sports BRS 70 ECONO Tools

4.17/5 (18 Reviews)

This sturdy, tripod-based bicycle repair stand offers height adjustment so you don't have to constantly bend over while wrenching. Tripod base holds the stand steady on all surfaces, yet folds into a small 6-1/2" x 42" portable package. Spinner clamp applies fast, secure clamping force on your tube while maintaining a soft touch that protects thin walled tubes from damage. Clamp folds down and locks for storage. Clutch allows 360-degree rotation of the bike during repair. Sets up in a mere 15 seconds. Clamp height ranges from 40" to 67" and fits tubes measuring between 3/4" to 1-1/2" with a load capacity of 60 pounds.

Submitted by seeker a Cross Country Rider from seeker

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    good value when it works

Weaknesses:    rendered nearly useless by crappy plastic clamp

Bottom Line:
This is good stand until the cheap height adjusting clamp breaks.

Then it's only slightly better than the old upside-down-on-carpeting method.

It's a shame that a >$100 stand is rendered junk by a $3 clamp.

Favorite Trail:   wherever

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   upside down on a free carpet swatch for 20 years

Bike Setup:   not relevant
bike weight <30 lbs, which is well below product spec

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Strengths:    Note: the model I have is the BRS-70B Deluxe Consumer Repair Stand. I think they dropped the "Econo".
I like the swivel knob adjuster. The overall design seems good, but...

Weaknesses:    the material quality is lacking. The height adjustment collar broke after just a few uses. I emailed and filled out the online forms that Ultimate has. Before I could get a replacement I was required to produce the receipt. Since I had been in the middle of a move, it took a few months before I found it. Now the part is on backorder and I'm still waiting.

Bottom Line:
I'd be hesitant to buy a stand w/ a plastic clamp again. For the price I paid I expected something a little more robust, and more responsive customer service would have been nice. Since they ran out of replacent parts I'd guess that its a common problem for this stand. I am a little annoyed that I was required to provide the receipt, and that there was no follow up. Back up the product.

Bike Setup:   1 commuter, 1 old hardtail, 1 new 29" hardtail

Submitted by ramilcp a Weekend Warrior from Whittier, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    Holds bikes secure and stable; at any angle and height I want.

Weaknesses:    The height adjustment collar gives out and I have to tighten the collar more and more.

Bottom Line:
Although it doesn't set up or adjust as quickly as the Pro model, it serves me well for the repairs, adjustments, and builds that I do at home. A year into my use, the height adjustment collar started getting looser, causing me to tighten the clamp more and more. A quick check on the Internet told me that this was a common problem with early models of this stand. I contact the Ultimate Rep who frequents the MTBR forums about this problem and he sent out a replacement collar right away. Good as new! Great stand for the money with good customer support.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Does it matter?

Submitted by Frunk Frunk a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2005

Strengths:    easy set up, holds bike really well.

Weaknesses:    It broke after one week. The base at the bottom of the stand is plastic and it breaks under stress. I thought I had a lemon so I took it back for a new one. A few days later it too had a hair line crack but when you tighten the clamp the crack becomes wider.

Bottom Line:
If you bought one and has not broke / cracked great !!!!!!

Something to look for in the future..

May be it was an REI thing eh.....

Good luck...

Favorite Trail:   jesus

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Id

Submitted by Francisco a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2005

Strengths:    price, simplicity,compact size, and the best warrantee I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Weaknesses:    none that I found (I don't fix 65 lb uberbikes)

Bottom Line:
I have 7 BRS70 and 1 Pro-elite(old wrenchforce)and 3 more on order. I use them in my bike assembly business for big box stores- I build approx 6000 bikes per year and have done so for 3 years. Have had only 4 warrantee issues in that time- bear in mind that I use these "consumer" stands commercially and would probably not qualify for warrantee in the fine print but Ultimate has warranteed my stands no ?'s asked- even my 10 year old wrenchforce stand- Ford @ Ultimate was super helpful in getting my stands back into production and I recommend these stands to everyone. Besides I've had park stands and had parts go and had to spend the million$ to get the widget that will get me going again. Ultimate has set the new standard in portable repair stands and backs them 110%. Awesome work guys- and thanks again Ford. 100 chili's

Purchased At:   Gravity Sports

Similar Products Used:   Park

Submitted by Bjorndoggie Cruiser a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento CA, USofA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    Sturdy, stable, great customer service, good price, clamp works great and it looks good. Just about everything you could ask for in a repair stand. Did I mention customer service?

Weaknesses:    After a seemlessly efficient experience with customer service, none!

Bottom Line:
Well, I can tell you first hand that Ultimate Bicycle Support is a great company! I was having a small issue with my stand (otherwise a great stand) and a sent an email to customer support. I was contacted by Brett Rosenbauer, Customer Support Manager, and we discussed the issue at length. He even pulled a stand out and put his bike on it to visulize what I was describing. Well, he apologized for what apperently is a small defect in my stand and immediately arranged a warrenty exchange of my stand. I now have my new stand and it works great! I love the stand, it was one of my best purchases. Thanks again Brett!

Favorite Trail:   Forresthill Divide Loop

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   My first (and probably last) repair stand.

Bike Setup:   '03 Stumpy FSR totally tricked out.

Submitted by Bjorndoggie Cruiser a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento CA, USofA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy, holds the bike well and stable.

Weaknesses:    When the bike is clamped in the horizontal bar kind of droops down.

Bottom Line:
I don't know if this is a common thing or it's just my stand but while the stand is sturdy and stable, it holds my bikes at an odd angle. Whether the bike is clamped on the seatpost or the top tube the top of the bike is held out farther than the bottom. So I checked the clamping arm with a level and sure enough it slopes toward the ground. It is only slightly annoying and I usually put a block of wood under one leg to get it righted but others may find it more than annoying. I don't know if other stands do this as I don't have any experience with other types. I still like the stand. It does the job and was inexpensive.

Favorite Trail:   Forresthill Divide Loop

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   '03 Stumpy FSR with all kind a good Sh!t (not much stock stuff left on it).

Submitted by Casp a Weekend Warrior from Flushing, New York USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    Stable Platform. Heavy-Duty Construction. Compact & Portable. Easy Setup. Adjustable Height. 360 Degree Rotation.

Weaknesses:    None. Best of the bunch.

Bottom Line:
I have tried everything from using a cheap bike stand to leaning the bike against the wall to flipping the bike upside down. In almost every situation, I only have one hand free to do any real work. Having the bike securely mounted on the repair stand makes a world of a difference. The stand is adjustable from 40 to 67 inches high. You can have the drivetrain at about eye level instead of bending over and working on it about 12 inches from the floor. Extremely compact and portable. Looks like a camera tripod on steroids. The twist locking knobs is a little tedious if you setup and fold the stand often. Otherwise it's no big deal. If you're really that lazy, then get the Pro version for an extra $60 bucks. That one have the quick release levers and comes with a free carry bag($20 value). If you like to work on your bike you'll need a good work stand. Get this one and you won't be disappointed. Good luck to all you bike techs!!!

Purchased At:   trisports.com

Similar Products Used:   Bike stand. Flip bike upsidedown.

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Galileo w/ Shimano Ultegra
Klein Palomino stock

Submitted by Little Frog a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    ** Adjustability **, color

Weaknesses:    Still only a home stand.

Bottom Line:
Great Stand!
Everything I was looking for to work on my bike at home.

Customer Service is UNBELIEVABLE!
Just broke the clamp, which controls height, when tightening it down. I immediately emailed USSBike and they put a replacement clamp in the mail the next day at no charge. No questions asked! I loved it.

If I ever need another stand, it will be an Ultimate!

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Bike Setup:   2003 Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Brian from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Full maintenance access to all corners of my bike and is fairly sturdy in doing so. I especially like the full rotational abilities. Also makes a great display stand.

Weaknesses:    Had some problems with the main clamp (would spin the handle but it wouldn't close) about a month after I bought this, but this seems to have sorted itself out. Not too handy for holding Y frames (I used to have a Trek Y26), but that's to be expected. The clamp that controls both height adjustment and floor-level rotation is weak. I can't get it tight enough to keep my bike at the desired height or angle. Also, can get unsteady in a hurry if you don't have the legs spread out ALL the way.

Bottom Line:
A great maintenance stand for a beginner MTBer such as myself. However, if you are one to make frequent and/or major repairs, I might advise you to look towards the shop-quality stands.

Similar Products Used:   Wall, best friend.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by næstep a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've been working on bikes for year — upside-down bikes, bikes hanging on ropes rigged to the ceiling, bikes supported by milk crates, bikes leaning up against the wall, and bikes laying on the lawn. But — for the life of me — I don't know how I got along so long without a workstand.

Cut the the quick:

Tripod base is outstanding! I use it sometimes in the back room in the basement with the uneven gravel floor. I also take it to every-so-slightly-sloping lawn in the back yard for bike washings. The tripod base is rock solid stable. I've actually been able to torque bottom brackets and cranks without things tipping over.

The height adjustment is great. I can get the drivetrain right in my face without having to bend over or get on my knees. The rotation adjustment also works like a charm, holding the bike at all kinds of weird angles. I don't use it for much, but it's there if I need it.

The stand folds up like a camera tripod on steroids. It's easy to throw into the car for those pre-group ride maintenance sessions — you know, where Joe hasn't ridden his bike for 3 months and his drivetrains skips and his brakes rub and his tires are flat.

The clamp is great. It's just a T-handle with great big weights in the ends of it. You hold your bike in the clamp area, give that T-handle a good flick of the finger, and wiiiirrrrrrrrrrr it spins right into place. A little more intuitive than the clutch mechanisim on the 'Pro' model, although I'm sure I'd get the hang of that in no time if I owned it.

Looking at the specs on Ultimates site (ussbike.com), this model and the Pro are evenly matched in capability. I suspect the Pro may be slighty heavier construction, but this 'Consumer' model hasn't left me wanting for much. There are few areas for improvement:

The pivot clamp works well, but the oversized plastic knob should be replaced with aluminum. This is the peice on the back of the neck that you grab a fistfull of to lock your bike at a weird angle. It's a beefy, oversized knob, but you've got to get it damn tight and you can feel the plastic construction 'give' a little under the strain. So far it's up to the task, but even an aluminum sleve on this thing would be an improvement.

The "neck" locks into a squarish-sized "slot" at the top of the support pole. When you store the stand, the neck can be detached and folded down to save space. There is a problem here with the neck "chipping" the edges of the squarish slot if you're not careful and don't release the clamp entirely. I've described this poorly, but just pay attention to the head/neck interface if you get one of these and you'll see what I'm referring to.

No problem recommending this to anyone. Keep an eye out for the occasional Performance Bike sale, where I've seen prices in the $90 range. All the functionality of the Pro model at half the price!

Purchased At:   Cambria

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from West Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly stable, height adjustable, easy to set up and take down.

Weaknesses:    I'm fairly tall so I use it at near full extension which as previous posts have indicated it is more unstable there. No problem really as you just have to learn the limitations.

Bottom Line:
Great product and great features for the price. Ultimate makes good products, whether they are keyboard stands, speaker stands or bike repair stands you can depend on a quality product. For me as a shade-tree mechanic this is all I could need in a stand. If you are a pro mechanic you may want to look at a pro model.

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Naples Itlay

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    Everything works exactly as advertised

Bottom Line:
I used Ultimate equipment for years as a road musician and was never disappointed by either their products or their customer service.
If you want a little more solid base, get the pro model, but I've been using mine for 2 years to do all the repair and maintence on four bikes and have done nothing outide of a squirt of oil on all of the moving parts every 6 months or so. This stand is a "home run".

Purchased At:   Perf Bike