Crank Brothers Speedier Tire Lever Tools

4.09/5 (46 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Speedier Tire Lever : To remove even the toughest tire, just hook the end of the lever under the tire, extend the lever and snap the end on the axle, then rotate. It literally takes seconds! Better yet, to install a tire, hook the lever on the rim...

Submitted by Jhilton a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    This flimsy thing won't even budge with a mountain bike tire

Bottom Line:
This thing won't even move once I get it under the bead of a tire to change it. It make work on road tires, but for the aramid beads on my mountain tires, this thing is junk. Save yourself the hassle and buy a set of park levers.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Park Tire Levers

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabberwocky Blinglespeed

Submitted by mddelaney a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, NE

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, Easy to store, Easy to Use, Super Fast

Weaknesses:    Feels a little flimsy, and if you push on the middle of the lever while it's telescoped, there is a greater chance of it bending or breaking. Don't force the lever either, because there is a chance it could snap.

Bottom Line:
I do a lot of triathlons, and this lever is so quick and lightweight. In an ironman, I had my tire changed and was back riding in less that 5 minutes. I've had the lever for about 5 years now, and I had to buy another one, only because my brother used it and won't give it back. It can be broken, so put pressure on the lever near the tire instead of the middle. I recommend this to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Pedro's lever

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Hertfordshire, UK

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    Real easy to use - does what is says it does

Weaknesses:    At $10-$12 in UK shops, I would expect this to last more than 3 times. Bent on the second, snapped on the third.

Bottom Line:
Well designed but very poorly executed. If it was proven stronger I'd buy another as it really works. As it is, far too flimsy and useless bit of kit. $4 for each tire change sucks. Sort it out.
Maybe make a titanium one where the three individual parts detatch from one another to make 3 levers for use in intial difficulty of getting tire of rim.
Don't buy one yet - you'll regret it.

Similar Products Used:   Ancient metal levers that have been around about 30 years. Mum's spoons when i was younger (but don't tell her)!

Bike Setup:   '07 Trance 3, Juicy 7's & TALAS X forks

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo, CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
So far, I have removed and installed a 26" Primo Comet tire several times, and the Speed Lever has performed as promised! As noted by other reviewers, the Speed Lever looks flimsy, but it has held up so far, and it works much faster than traditional tire levers, with less risk of pinching your tube. Makes removing and installing tires a pleasure!!

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Metal and plastic tire levers

Bike Setup:   Rans Screamer tandem recumbent

Submitted by Michael a Racer from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Strengths:    No risk of pinching the tube while struggling with tight road bike tires.

Weaknesses:    Maybe it will snap, but I'm buying two to put in my seat bag.

Bottom Line:
I love this thing. Road bike tires are so (^#&#*! tight and I have pinched many tubes trying to get the tire back on with a regular lever. Then I would get even more impatient/frustrated and I got into a stretch where I pinched my way through all the patches and tubes I had with me on two consecutive rides. Had to call a taxi to get home.

With this tool, I slipped the tire on in just a few seconds with NO risk of pinching the tube. I love this thing! I love this thing!

Favorite Trail:   trail? I ride road

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Those #%@#$% yellow plastic tire levers. Pedros I think they were. Maybe they are good for somebody with skill and patience, but I ruined so many tubes with those.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R1000 Road Bike with Ultegra stuff on it. Nuff said.

Submitted by CK a Cross Country Rider from Grass Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2006

Strengths:    One piece tire lever

Weaknesses:    Still need another tire lever to change a tire/tube. Broke after the third time I used it.

Bottom Line:
This lever is just a money maker that doesn't have practical use...a gimmick. It may work on road tires, but Mountain bike tires need strength to change the robust tires. Mine warped on the second use and broke on the third. I'm going back to the standard levers and just replace them once in awhile.

Favorite Trail:   S. Yuba Trail

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   various plastic tire evers

Bike Setup:   26 inch, Rhino Lite Rims, WTB Weirwolf tires

Submitted by anthony wilson a Weekend Warrior from 324 w whiting ave

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Works great once . . .

Weaknesses:    . . . then it breaks

Bottom Line:
The first time I used it on a tire I was thrilled at how easily it mounted the tire. To unmount, you still need to work with a standard lever. When I went to mount my next tire, however, the head snapped off. It is as flimsy as it looks. If you're mounting a regular tire, then this tool isn't necessary. When you are mounting a tight tire, which is when you would need the Speed Lever, it chokes.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Regular levers

Submitted by Brad Kattelmann a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Strengths:    It works fabuously.

Weaknesses:    You have to make sure the tube doesn't get caught between the bead and the tool.

Bottom Line:
I broke two tire levers and wasted 1.5 hours trying to put a tire on my road wheel. With this tool, it took me 3 minutes to install the same tire/rim combination. I just wish I'd had this before.

Favorite Trail:   Apex Park

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Tire levers

Bike Setup:   Fixed gear road bike

Submitted by Hal from Nashville

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to use, small and lightweight

Weaknesses:    Seems flimsy, but it hasn't broken (yet).

Bottom Line:
The best tool in my kit! Works as well as a shop tool, but collapses down to something close to the size of a set of standard levers. I am infuriatingly clumsy with most lever sets, and I've always dreaded tire changes. This tool makes removing and mounting tires so easy, I almost look forward to it!

The plastic does seem kind of cheap, but the Speedlever is cheap, small, and light enough to justify carrying more than one.

Similar Products Used:   Standard plastic tire lever sets

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight; adjusts to different wheel size; compact

Weaknesses:    Appears weak and flimsy

Bottom Line:
I've used it 5 or 6 times; 4 for others' and 2 for mine. It takes tire off or on quicker than two shakes of a lamb's tail. Whether around town or around the world, this is a "must carry" item!

Favorite Trail:   TransCanada Trail

Purchased At:   Neighbourhood bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Regular 3-pack tire levers

Bike Setup:   Touring single; hybred tandem

Submitted by Cameron a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Strengths:    Does its job and does it fast.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
Looks flimsy but it's really not. Good simple design. Easy to use. Nothing better. Kinda expensive for $6.00 though.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Generic tire levers, screwdrivers

Bike Setup:   I don't like to brag.

Submitted by DEEK a Downhiller from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Broke the first time i used it.

Bottom Line:
I got this for a gift for x-mas. I tried to take my kenda kinetic off of my rim, and the head of it snapped right off! I am going to take it in for warrenty. Do NOT buy this. It is a waste of time.

Purchased At:   MEC