Crank Brothers Multi-17 Tools

Crank Brothers Multi-17 Tool supplies most anything you need on the Road/Trail. Includes: Chain tool, spoke wrench, hex wrenches 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8. Two philips annd two flat screwdrivers. T25 Torx, 8 and 10 mm open end wrenches. Comes with a stainles

Submitted by andrew

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    well made solid bit of kit

Weaknesses:    chain splitter is practically unusable - i am yet to be able to get enough leverage to get any where near pushing a pin out - unlike my much cheaper Topeak multi-tool! Only other complaint is that the tools are on the short side making some jobs very challenging e.g. water bottle holder tightening

Bottom Line:
Not sure how this tool gets the rave reviews unless they are by people who have not had to actually use it. Yes to pick up and hold it feels great and well put together, certainly is engineered well above what you might need out on the trail. But from a design perspective as indicated above there are some significant flaws in it. When i contacted Crank Brothers to ask if it was just me, they said it is not a chain breaker and i should try keeping my chain well oiled - thanks guys!

Submitted by hutchtrickstar a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    Compact, study, not too heavy, great bang for your buck, every tool you need for the trail , and cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Have to keep it lightly oiled to prevent rusting.

Bottom Line:
Very well made tool and good reach. I find nothing wrong with the chain tool. Thee is a lot of leverage to pop the pin easily. I read many complaints about it not being long enough to push the pin all the way out, but that is what it was designed to do and it is pretty damn accurate. To remove the pin, just move the chain in front of the slot and run it again. I also read complaints about it causing tight spots in the chain or braking when trying to remove cranks. This tool was made for emergencies and to get you out of the woods, not for regular bike maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Any Jersey Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Park

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 20

Submitted by Dirtvet a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Metal is quality steel that holds up well. Fits nice into your hydration pack, no matter how small the pocket.

Weaknesses:    Chain Tool does not push the pin all the way out. This forces you to carry A)another tool specific for chain break or B)or pliers, and hope you don't bend the chain plates trying to get that stuck 3/4 way out pin all the way out. This is a serious design flaw that lowers my opinion significantly of this tool.

Bottom Line:
Nice wrenches but lousy chain tool. Spoke wrench is OK too.

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood

Similar Products Used:   generic tools purchased probably from a bike shop. No others with a chain break though.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet with full XTR drivetrain, 819s/hope, Avid Elixer CRs, WTB Rocket SLT, Lefty Carbon, FSA K-lite bars, Peaty lock-ons.

Submitted by Matty77 a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    Big punch in small package.

Weaknesses:    Nothing. Well I guess it can't overhaul my suspension.

Bottom Line:
Makes most standard and emergency mtn and road bike repair a pleasure and not just something annoying you have to do every once in a while.

Submitted by Omicron a Cross Country Rider from Stevens Point, WI

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Compact, strong and has what you need.

Weaknesses:    Chain tool does not lock in place, have to use included band to hold it together.

Bottom Line:
I've used the tool to secure a loose cleat, swap out pedals, install lock on grips and fix two chains so far. The chain tool, on mine at least, has sufficient pin length to knock the rivet clear out of the chain which I discovered trailside while getting eaten alive by mosquitos. On the plus side the pin should be plenty long enough to work on any chain. Could be a redesign based on others comments?

Can't say enough good about this thing. I fear riding without it. The chain tool is a little difficult to use but that could just be my inexperience with chain tools. However, it did allow me to get back up and running pretty quick instead of walking home!

Favorite Trail:   Nine Mile

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Dirty Mac a Weekend Warrior from South Florida

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Has all the tools you need. Very well built. Beautiful construction. Great customer support.

Weaknesses:    Chain tool

Bottom Line:
I've used this tool to assemble and disassemble my bike for traveling and for trail repairs. I love the tool selection. Every tool I need is there and it fits very comfortably in your hand. The 5mm is a tad short for removing the derailleur but it still gets the job done. The tool is bullet proof. Used a hammer on it to remove a very stubborn pedal and you'd never know it. The only complaint I have is with the chain tool. It has a very short handle making it hard to use. Had to wrap my glove around it to get a good grip. As mentioned in other reviews, the pin is too short but the work around is not too bad: just put the chain in front of the cradle when you need the extra length. And speaking of the cradle, it could have been a little bigger making it easier to hold the chain. It would also have been nice if when screwing in the chain tool to close the tool that it would lock in the right position. The way it is now, you can't screw it all the way down which leaves it loose and so you have to use the included rubber band to keep everything secured.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont Forest, NC & Tsali, NC

Purchased At:   LBS in NC

Similar Products Used:   Park Tools, Blackburn

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575. Enduro race package (XT and Race Face components and DT Swiss wheels). Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires with Stan's.

Submitted by rrp a Cross Country Rider from Trinidad and Tobago

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    has all the tools i need....strong, lifetime warranty, looks good, works great

Weaknesses:    some ppl say the chain tool, but i have not used that yet......
tools may be a bit too short.....may

Bottom Line:
before i had this i wished i had it, after i got it, i wont leave home without it.....has saved me many times from riding home with a mis-aligned handlebar.......or squeaking brakes, or mis-aligned derailleur, or twisted saddle......

Submitted by Stefan Grotegut from Basel, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Design, ergonomics, seize, rights tools on board

Weaknesses:    wrenches are a bit short but usually sufficient, not the cheapest

Bottom Line:
I like this tool a lot. It has everything what you need on the trail, especially the chain opener. It looks very fancy and is very comfortable to use. It has no sharp edges and is not too heavy. Best tool I ever had and don't want to miss it on my tours.

Favorite Trail:   Gempen

Purchased At:   VeloPlus

Similar Products Used:   many other

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 1 w/ Reba SL

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Astoria, Queens, NYC

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Strengths:    Every tool I ever need on the trail, and rather useful around the house as well. Light and strong. Priced right as well.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
More a review of Crank Brothers. I've had my Multi-17 for many years--perhaps as long as ten years--and finally broke it one day when I couldn't get my crank off and (once again) stood on it to get it to turn.

The tool wasn't made for this kind of stress, though it held up rather well so far, and finally popped a nut.

I e-mailed Crank Brothers on a Saturday asking if it would be worth it for me to bother taking it to my local bike shop to send in to them or if I should just send it direct (or if it would be worth it at all).

In less than an hour they e-mailed me back saying they were putting a new one in the mail.

When I asked if they needed me to send the old one back, they said if I did they would repair it and send it back to me for use as a spare. I wasn't even charged shipping.

When you pay full price for a new item, that's what you really pay for--how well the manufacturer supports and stands behind their product.

Absolutely outstanding support for an already outstanding item. I would have bought a new one of the exact same if they hadn't replaced it for free--and they didn't mind replacing it for free even when I told them that.

Favorite Trail:   In NYC we ride whatever we can find.

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle at LalaPort Mall in Minami-Funabashi, JAPAN

Similar Products Used:   Nothing as good.

Bike Setup:   As if relates to this review, I have a Shimano XT self-extracting crankset on my Trek 8000 (barely anything from the stock original left on it), which I can remove with the 8mm hex on this tool, take the pedals off with the same, and almost entirely take the bike apart and put it back together without needing anything that isn't on this pocket size tool.

Submitted by Shane Walz a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Compact size, good grip, all the tools I've needed on the trail

Weaknesses:    Some of the allen heads are a bit short but so far they've been long enough

Bottom Line:
I'm sorry to say that I've had to use the chain breaker twice already. Both times it bailed me out of having to walk several miles back to my truck. Other reviewers complained of it leaving a stiff link without the 2nd slot for link separation but I haven't had that problem. I put it in my pocket for every ride.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Alien

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 700, XT/XTR drivetrain, Hope hubs and brakes

Submitted by PiroChu a Weekend Warrior from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    Compact design

Weaknesses:    - Chain tool only has only one slot
- wrenches are short (even for mini tool)

Bottom Line:
It's nice & compact, and all wrenches on it are usable, but they're pretty short (even for mini tool).

However, its chain tool is rather poor (especially I'm used to Park CT-5). For example, it has only 1 slot (to break the link), but doesn't have the 2nd slot (to loosen up the re-connected link). I was able to fix/reconnect my chain, but it was a stiff connect, and I had to borrow my friend's 2-slot chain tool to loosen it. I'm putting my CT-5 back into the pack for all my trail-side chain needs instead.

Submitted by ian from frederick, md

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2006

Strengths:    Nice and compact

Weaknesses:    Chain tool sucks

Bottom Line:
Very nice looking tool, but today I broke my chain and when tried to use the tool to fix it wasn't that good. The pin in the chain tool is not long enough to remove a pin (necesary to remove a link). So you end with a pin half way out, the link kind of bend ...
In the end somehow I could remove the old pin, remove the link, set the chain again, and the shimano pin was the one that pushed the old pin away.
Only 2 chilis because it wasn't cheap, and it had a good reputation, but failed when really needed.