Crank Brothers Micra 17 Tools

Technical Specs:
  • Weight: 170 grams
  • Length: 3.6"/91mm
  • Material: Aluminum/steel
  • Contains 2/2.5/3/4/5/6/8 hex, Philips/flathead screwdrivers, chainbreaker, 4 spoke wrenches, 8/10mm open wrenches,Torx T25

Other:
  • Ultra light
  • High quality 6050 steel
  • Lifetime warranty!

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Beaux Deuke a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    compact, simple, logical design, has the T25 torx for the disc brake guys

Weaknesses:    well, I managed to break off the head of the hinge bolt but it was a little rusty and I was putting MUCH torque on it to remove a pedal-I don't consider this a weakness BTW. As opposed to other multi tools-ALL of the tools are made to be convenient to use including the chain tool. Tasteful design, durable, practical, lightweight.

Bottom Line:
    E-mailed Crank Brothers after breaking the bolt and they promptly got back to me to get my address so they could mail me another bolt. Excellent service! I've used this tool many times since I've had it and it's really been great. Any company that stands behind their product like this deserves my business and will continue to get it. I even switched from time-carbons to their eggbeaters which are also great.

Favorite Trail:   bear creek

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop..Hiram,Ga

Similar Products Used:   Alien tool(too heavy)

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt Vision, full XTR, Juicy 5's, DT Swiss rims, C King hubs, Thomsen stem & s-post,Terry Fly, Eggbeaters,

Submitted by Stephen Brown a Cross Country Rider from Rochdale, England

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    Has every tool that I need to carry in a single device. Lightweight. Does not rattle.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    This is the only tool that I need to carry (other than a pump). It is strong, lightweight and it does not rattle.
    The chain tool will remove the chainpin without popping it out altogether, which makes unscheduled chain repairs a lot easier.

Similar Products Used:   Topeak compact survival tool wedge.

Submitted by Moy a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, versatile, lightweight, I has everything you need! looks really cool too...

Weaknesses:    The Aluminium body gets scratched easily, besides, none at all.

Bottom Line:
    This is an excelent product if you know how to use it and you pay to it a little bit of attention...

The chain tool works real fine, I've used it twice and it didn't let me down, it doesn't take the pin off completely but don't panic! it doesn't have to, just use the screwdriver to open the chain completely (with a gentle twist inside the open chain) and do the same thing to get the new one in... it even makes it easier for it to get back inside, for the pin enters right away when you put it in place.

For the rest of the tool, its performance and durability are in certain way up to you. The same way as your bike, this also needs a little bit of maintenance.. not too much.. keep it clean and a little bit of oil won't hurt... But the most IMPORTANT thing... Keep the bolts of the tool always tight and it won't let you down !!!!!! Use two 3 mm allen keys.. that's why they are made for.... and all the pieces will be kept in place, believe me, doesn't matter how hard you press on it.

Bottom line: this is a great product, it's easy to use and it's really worth the money... you will love it.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None so far.. and it seems that would be for a while...

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 hardtail full Lx with a Marzzochi Mx comp ETA (Kicks Ass!!!) WTB Weirwolf tires (Amazing grip..) and a cane creek Suspention post.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St Louis

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Strengths:    a lot of tools in a very compact package. even has an 8mm allen key!

Weaknesses:    chain tool looks hard to use... haven't had to use it yet

Bottom Line:
    i was able to eliminate a lof of separate tools from my pack with this tool. it really has just about everything i'd need for a basic trailside fix. not looking forward to using the chain tool, but i am very happy with the quality of the hex wrenches and the tool on the whole. i take it on every ride i go on - commuting, road, mountain.

Favorite Trail:   doesn't matter

Purchased At:   Ballwin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   wooden frame that i hand-carved from balsa wood, with a massive general electric jet engine zip-tied onto the rear

Submitted by Earthfoote a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    Compact; easily-accessible tools; real spoke wrenches; comfortable to use (except the chain tool, but hey, it's a mini-tool)

Weaknesses:    Need an iron thumb for chainbreaking. No bottle opener. No 4mm hex. 8mm hex could be longer.

Bottom Line:
    Great tool and it does everything that you're ever likely to need on the trail or parking lot. It lacks a tire lever, of course, but I'd rather carry and use a nylon levers instead of some well-intentioned-but-still-rim-mashing steel "Suggest-A-Tool" idea from a clever "marketing engineer tech specialist".

The chain tool works fine for me and it doesn't take much in the brain department to figure out how to make it work for various chain applications. It's a bit hard on the thumbs, though. I've used it for maintenance at home and to help two guys on the trail with serious chainsuck troubles -- performed like it should have, no worries.

Until recently, I was using some old Control Tech bolt-on skewers and the 5mm hex on this tool got quite a workout there, along with some stem/bar/seat adjustments on the trail. I really torqued it pretty good a number of times and it shows no rounding or twisting. I attempted to remove a crankarm with the 8mm hex, and although this tool just doesn't have the leverage to do that by hand, it didn't break or damage the tool when I stepped on it in another vain effort to budge the bolt (I got wise and quit before something happened to make me cuss).

One thing I'd like to see added to this tool (other than the bottle opener and a 4mm hex -- nice to have when you need it), would be some kind of slotted bar to use for straightening chainrings, etc. No one else has that, either, but it would be a great idea.

I've got no problems with this tool and I'd highly recommend it over the other designs I've seen on the market. As said below, it's not a home shop tool, but I'm pretty impressed with it. Buy it and ride happy!

Favorite Trail:   The road less traveled

Similar Products Used:   Cool Tool, Topeak, some import jobbie.

Bike Setup:   GT LTS, Fox Alps shock, Rock Shox Judy FSX carbon fork, Deore LX, Gripshift 8.0 x-ray, Truvativ Stylo cranks

Submitted by jack mowatt a Weekend Warrior from BC canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    2 years of use and it's still performing perfectly well, chain tool is the easiest breaker to use bar none

Weaknesses:    None so far!! I guess if you try useing it on a truck it might be to small but for any bike I've worked on its been fine

Bottom Line:
    For 20.00 its the deal,,, I'm not sure what the other testers were using it for but I can't seem to break mine I would recomend it to my friends any time

Favorite Trail:   monkeys

Purchased At:   ocean cycles

Similar Products Used:   park topec

Bike Setup:   giant VT1

Submitted by rufudufus a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Light, compact, easily fits in tiny Camelback pocket

Weaknesses:    Not much leverage on the chain tool--but you can use pliers on it for more leverage without hurting the tool.
    Tools don't lock
    Tools are short

Bottom Line:
    If you want something small and light for trailside emergencies, this is a great tool. "Small and Light" involves trade offs, such as the length of the tools noted above. That said, it works fine. It's not a shop tool. If you're on the trail and you need to tighten something that's getting loose, this will do it. If you're at home and need to break loose an overtightened bolt, buy a set of tools.

I've had no problems using the chain breaker, but I don't run Shimano 9-speed chains, which some posters say it has problems with.

Purchased At:   Cyclotopia

Bike Setup:   Too heavy with crappy fork

Submitted by paul a Downhiller from london Canada

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    Kickass little tool! Perfect choice of tools, low weight, looks pretty damn cool too! I dont know about allthes guys sayin they broke it, y'kow, it's not a hammer!

Weaknesses:    Elastic thing annoying, i just took it off, an u cant use the screwdrivers to ajust the front mech

Bottom Line:
    Get it. it wont replace your toolbox, but it'll do everything you need on a ride

Favorite Trail:   Whistler

Purchased At:   MEC

Bike Setup:   Spec Hardrock SS turned 27-speed so i can get back up the hill, deore LX gruppo and crank bros mallet C pedals (kickass!)

Submitted by kent a Cross Country Rider from hong kong

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    small, light weight
    comes with a chain breaker

Weaknesses:    hex key are too short
    philips keys are sliping for troque-ing brake disc

Bottom Line:
    this tool is turely for trial side for MINOR maintance.
    Tools are too short, it doesn't flip around as other users said. The chain breaker really works with shimano chain(if you know how to use it).

1. no other trail-side tools with this small size and light weight
    2. the chain break really works with shimano chain(if your's doesn't, please carefully check and read the manual in crank brothers web site)
    3. this tool works with most trailside repairing but since the tool is too short, it will takes your more effort and time.

Who should buy it:
    if you have a small hand. (this tool is too small)
    if you bet your bike will never break down on trial and you think only MINOR maintance are need with this tool
    you only got a tiny backpack and no bigger place for putting a larger tools in it.
    if you haven't read all the comments on below

Who SHOULDN'T buy it:
    1. If you have read all the comments on other users.
    2. you will regard if you have a break down on trail-side and you only have this tool
    3. if you are purchasing this tool to service your bike at home.

Verdict:
    Don't waste money on this tool.

Favorite Trail:   agressive xc

Purchased At:   mon kok, hong kong

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   agressive XC setup.

Submitted by Ron Pike a Cross Country Rider from Portsmouth, VA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    You can use it as a sinker when going fishing.

Weaknesses:    Ya right....If you do use it as a sinker it will probably fall apart dropping all the parts into the abys and leave you high and dry.

Bottom Line:
    This thing is a piece of %@^%&*($#$#. Every time I try to use it I have to look for the parts that have come apart from it's frame. Or I try to use it and it falls apart in my hands, leaving me to spend more time looking for them on the ground then it does to fix my problem! Buy it you need something to fix before you work on your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Freedom Park Williamsburg VA.

Purchased At:   Conte's

Similar Products Used:   Craftman/Toolbox

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V Fatty

Submitted by Jon from Kaiserslautern, GE Active duty AF

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2004

Strengths:    Has plenty of tools, just don't plan on using them.

Weaknesses:    Tool structure is weak... that's a weakness!!

Bottom Line:
    I've had this tool for some time now, usually only doing minor maintenance stuff that required no real pressure with it. I decided to take off my cranks yesterday and found out that any dirty work required from this tool is a no-go. I heard a popping sound and then *BAM* all the tools fell off into my hand as the frame snapped in two. Not what I'd expect from a tool recommended by Englewood Bike Shop in Englewood, Colorado. What a load. I'll never buy CrankSmoke tools again.

Purchased At:   Englwood bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Tool box

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Has all the necessary bits except for a tire lever. Does not have bolt wrenches that most bikes don't use anymore.

Weaknesses:    It rust after some time and wear.

Bottom Line:
    It has all the necessary bits that'll I'll ever need on a trail. I prefer to carry separate tire levers since those break after a few uses.

Those having problems with pushing the pin out with the chain tool should go to their website and read their instructions. I had a similar experience before till I sat a while at the trailside and figured it out eventually.

Included wrenches are more for tightening paddles I case they work themselve loose during a ride. Never happened to me before though. But doubt they can take a whole lot of torque, just enough to keep it from falling out till you get home.

I like the fact that all the pieces are together so I won't lose any along the way.

Oh, and the spoke wrench is the best design I've used so far on a multi-tool.

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Survival Wedge kit

Bike Setup:   NRS Air '03

Submitted by Cliff a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Strengths:    Seems to be a pretty good selection, haven't broken anything...yet. Newer version, maybe a little stronger???

Weaknesses:    Chain breaker, chain breaker

Bottom Line:
    The bikes are all 9 speed and I use the SRAM 69 and the Sram hollowpin chains. Spend a lot of time on preventative maintenance, esp chains, cleaning and lubing (Prolube). Guess I'm way overdue for a chain break out in the boondocks. Thought I'd try the tool's mini-chain breaker at home just to see if it works OK. Bad news, it wouldn't push the pin on the 9 speed chain far enough out to easily release the link or even remove the pin with a pair of pliers!!!; needed for a Sram Power link or KMC MissingLink9 splice. And yes, I do realize the wide and narrow chains are placed on different U shaped shelves in the tool.

Never did figure out how Crank intended for a pedal masher to use this thing on chains, especially out in the field with limited tools. Sooo, since the threaded shaft won't tighten down quite far enough, and the threaded housing body it sits in looks plenty beefy for the thumb numbing push lever, I ground down the threaded hole side of the outer tool housing body with a bench grinder (a little at a time) until the pin pushing shaft would screw down a little farther, pushing the pin farther, until the pin would release by hand from the link. I figured if the outside end threads in the housing body were burred up from the grinder, I could use a small file to get the pin threads working again.

Actually it wasn't a problem, the pin presser screwed right in; and a little heavy grease on the threads helped reduce the thumb destruction pressure needed. After many uses at home, works like a champ. But I did find that if you can't seem to start the pin moving, after dislocating at least 1 of your thumbs (normally it is fairly hard to start), back off and reposition the chain. Being exactly centered on the chain pin is critical and the U shaped, "centering" chain shelf doesn't work very well. Incidently, then I decided to try the separate Park mini-tool for chains, had the same problem and same fix. Go figure..... Note: I drink only AFTER working/riding bikes.

Only 3 flamers for value and overall ratings: I bought the tool mainly for the chain breaker. I don't think it is very usable as comes from Cook, especially in the outback.

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   somewhere online

Similar Products Used:   Hodge podge of individual tools rattling around in my back pack.

Bike Setup:   One large, one small Old Trek Y design, URT, severely upgraded components (Cloud 9, Bont Race X Lite, etc). Specialized Comp Hardtail (XTR)

Submitted by Gavriel Kane a Cross Country Rider from Miami Florida

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    Cant say

Weaknesses:    Chain tool doesnt work

Bottom Line:
    I was riding on the trails, and my chain broke. Some guy rode up to me and i asked if he had a chain tool. he had the multi 17 wtvr its called, so i tried it. To push the pins out requires soo much force. The tool is not designed well at all for that. My hands were hurting like crazy and i am a pretty strong person. I pushed the pin as far as it would go, and the tool was not long enough to pop the pin out of my shimano super-narrow chain! I usually carry a topeak alien tool. if you want a good tool, topeak makes em. This tool might be alright in other aspects, but the chain tool sucks. I would never buy this tool. Topeak is heavy, but at least it works. I had to walk miles being eaten by skeeters to get to the parking lot. I am soo pissed at this tool. At least they make good pedals. When you but a multitool, you buy it for everything on it. If one part of the tool sucks, then the whole tool sucks even though the rest might work well.

Favorite Trail:   wtvr