Home | Reviews | Tools | Cool

3.79/5 (47 Reviews)

Cool Tool

Submitted by Ron Tandy

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2013

Strengths:    This is the tool to have if you are really in trouble. The wrench jaws spread across 15 mm to tighten up a loose pedal. The chain breaker works! Found a kid on the bike trail where his pedal came off, some dad used two LH pedals and rammed one into the RH crank. With the Cool Tool managed to force the pedal back into the RH hole and get the kid on his way home.

Weaknesses:    Does not have a blade cut up pieces of Tire.

Bottom Line:
COOL TOOL has got me home a few times. Where do I buy more for my friends. They are not in evidence in Orange County.

Submitted by EricH a Cross Country Rider from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    I've had my Cool-Tool for TWENTY YEARS. Yes that's right. I got them when they forst came out, and have always laughed at the "supposed" cylcing "multi-tools" that have come out since. cut a 3" long peice of a flat tube, slide it over the cool-tool and stick one metal tire lever inside and if you can't fix your bike on the trail with this, you either A) don't know how to fix bikes or B) have a pretty serious mechanical failure on your hand.

The wrench will take off pedals and crank bolts. The chain tool pin *doubles as a spare crank bolt* How awesome is that? Need more leverage on the allen wrenches,(the small 4mm)? use the tool as a leverage extender.

Anyopne that has A) worked in a bike shop and B) has been riding for any serious length of time will agree, this tool is all you need, gets the job done, can be used because it's not too small and will not break.

Weaknesses:    Thge spoke wrench built into the back can be tricky to use.

Bottom Line:
If you know what you are doing when it comes to fixing a bike, this is the one and only tool you will need to carry with you, anywhere.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Well built. Lots of useful tools.

Weaknesses:    Needs rubber band or something to keep everything together.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Cool Tool in the early 90's because there was no other bike multi-tool available. I have used it to repair every sort of mechanical failure on the six mountain bikes it has outlived. The rubber band that it came with lasted about five years. I now have a little, skinny velcro strap holding its guts in. I still carry it on every ride and when it eventually breaks I'll probably cry. I wish I'd bought a dozen of these things.

Favorite Trail:   The "O" trail at Bradbury Mountain

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers, Blackburn

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1

Submitted by altruistguy a Cross Country Rider from Holland, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2009

Strengths:    I've been using this product for nine years. I bought it for one reason -- the small crescent wrench. Nothing else about it interested me and I've never used anything except the small crescent wrench. That said, I've used the small crescent wrench MANY times. I use the crescent wrench in conjunction with my Topeak Alien and a pair of old pliers. Those three things get me through virtually all home repairs/maintenance and even took me across the continent in 2000 (Southern Tier).

I've had no problems whatsoever with the small crescent wrench and recommend it heartily.

Weaknesses:    Everything except the small crescent wrench is unimpressive.

Bottom Line:
Small Crescent Wrench is outstanding. Toss the rest and use a good multi-tool to supplement it. Actually, I guess I use the Small Crescent Wrench part of this thing to supplement my good multi-tool.

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Alien.

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from South San Francisco

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    Fixes more bike repair prolems than any single tool out there. Compact size. Durable, well concieved, and well made.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, prone to rust, and needs rubber band to hold tools in place.

Bottom Line:
I've really looked hard for a lighter replacement for my cooltool, but haven't found anything close that can do everything this tool can do: it can repair more problems on a bike than any other single tool out there. I have the older model that is well made and very durable, so the adjustable wrench is precise, the chain tool is durable and works, and the hex wrenches (which are exactly the only sizes I needed for the past five bikes I've used it on) are very precise and strong. Its too bad the new ones are -apparently- crap: maybe you can get an old one from ebay. I'd love to get that titanium one (lighter and rust proof). Because its always handy, I used it more than the nice set of Park shop tools I had; which I away and now just use the CoolTool, a dedicated spoke wrench (easier to use than CoolTool), a rear cog casset socket wrench, dikes for cable cutting, and a crank puller for all bike repairs. After 11 years I lost the rubber band holding the hex wrenches (have no ideal what kind of rubber can last that long), and now substitued a rubber o-ring: works great!

Favorite Trail:   Monte Bello OSP

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Mafac pocket-size bicycle repair tool kit.

Bike Setup:   Dahon Vitesse folding bicyle, with added finger-derailed triple front chain ring, customized folding stem, and shock absorbing seat braket.

Submitted by Sam Chin a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Strengths:    Number of functions, durability, compact size.

Weaknesses:    Weight, hex adapter can get lost easily.

Bottom Line:
When I got this tool, I was put off by the weight and I thought i would never use it. I could not have been more wrong. Not only does it have every size of hex wrench I have ever needed (except the little tiny one for adjusting my pedals), but it has every other tool I need as well. This thing can pull off crank arms, break chains, adjust mechs, tighten spokes, and more. I still haven't figured out all the things I can do with it. The weight has actually helped on occasion, when I've had to use the adjustable wrench part as a hammer.
A lot of thought went into this tool. Some of my friends carry tons of stuff in their packs when they ride, but I just pop this thing and an extra tube under my saddle along with a frame pump and I know I can take care of any mechanical problems that might happen.
If you get this tool, people will call you their saviour.

Favorite Trail:   Tujunga

Purchased At:   got it as a gift

Similar Products Used:   Hex wrench sets

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Super GL

Submitted by Jason wood from albany or

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Strengths:    This is the best toll yet in my opinion. It can straighten rotors. If you add a few small allens and a torx bit, which fits in the small hex slot, than it will do any thing! Mine is 8 years old and still good. And it is a gerber. Won it in 95 or so.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Where can I find the Ti version? I want one!!

Bottom Line:
Use it for anything but tire removal. The spoke wrench isn't so good either, but will get you out of a jam. Darn good tool! Add the torks bit ($2 at home depot) and a couple small allens (3mm, 2.5mm). Keep rubber banded together. Thats all.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   won at race

Similar Products Used:   Most all. Crank bros, ritchy cpr's, topeak

Bike Setup:   I have six.

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Gettysburg, PA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Fairly small. Has a good spread of tools. I have had this tool since 1995. Fairly easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Well it can flop apart unless it is contained. Must keep it oiled or it will be a pile of rust. The chain tool works great, but after 7 years of regular use I had to hammer the tip back into position

Bottom Line:
This tool is excellent. I bought mine in 1995 and I used it for everything on bikes for three years. I had that tool and a crank puller and that was it till about 2000. Last year I was a little crooked when I was breaking a chain and I bent the tip. I hammered it back and it is as good as new. The tool has plenty of leverage for almost any job because the hex wrenches fit in different sections of it. I wouldn't go back to using this tool as my bike shop, but it did serve my budget when I bought it. I now keep mine in a gerber multitool pouch on the right shoulder strap of my camelbak.

I love this thing.

How many multi tools can change pedals?

It works for me, and has worked hard and reliably for eight years. I haven't lost any parts to it either. I cut a tube like a rubber band and double it up on so the wrenched can't move.

On mine for my nipples the spoke tool works great. It isn't a spokey, but it works.

Favorite Trail:   Stuff with rocks

Purchased At:   Dick's sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   I have seen and tried others, but I will keep this original

Bike Setup:   Modified Mongoose Maneuver 2002. Torch, lathe, and a bunch of braze. It is a very smooth ride.....

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Delaware

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustable jaws, loose allen keys, crank bolt socket, will straighten dinged rims.

Weaknesses:    Pointy ends.

Bottom Line:
Look, bring the tools with you that fix your bike. If you need a McGuyver with the magnifying glass and the fish scaler , then bring that. This tool will will do everything I need, costs less than most, and is really easy to work with. The only beef I have with it, is you need to keep it and your spare tube seperated from each other. I have had the phillips screwdriver puncture the spare tube, but then this is also advice for any trailside tool. I do agree that the finish of the newer tools is of lesser quality than what I remember before Gerber took it over, but I haven't seen it affect the usefullness of the tool.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey CRP, McGuyver

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed

Submitted by Dan from Cheyenne, WY

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    looks cool

Weaknesses:    not as cool as it looks

Bottom Line:
I was pretty disappointed in this tool. The first time I used the chaintool, it bent beyond use. I took someone's advice and wrapped a small rag with a rubber band around the tool. This was necessary just to hold all of the tools in place. The adjustable wrench was somewhat impractical, unless you own a huffy. I never did find the bottle opener that was suppose to come with it. I tried using what I thought were the spoke wrenches, and began stripping nipples. I stopped before I caused anymore damage. The allen keys work fine, and that's about it. This tool is no longer in my toolbag. I thought it was a wise buy since the gerber multi-tool (the one with retractable pliers, knife, a real bottle opener, etc.) has lasted me three years with total satisfaction. Maybe gerber needs to learn a few things about compact bike tools.

Purchased At:   gerber online

Similar Products Used:   a bunch of tools in a bag, crank bros.

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Mauka Rider a Weekend Warrior from RSM Ca

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Lots of useful tools.

Weaknesses:    Not as strong as the classic Cool Tool. Heavy

Bottom Line:
The product is no longer as good as the Classic Cool Tool. I believe Gerber now makes this product and my new one barely lasted 3 months...while my first one lasted almost 4.5yrs. All the tools are useful, but I cant get over the fact that its just not durable anymore. I am now using the Crand Bros. and we will see how that one performs.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Alien, Crank Bros.

Bike Setup:   Intense

Submitted by derek lewis from WA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    Has all tools you will need.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY!!!

Bottom Line:
Its awsome. I put on opedels, took things off, everything! All I havent done yet is use the crank puller and chain break!

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain