Home | Reviews | Rack | Topeak

Topeak QR Beam Rack Rack

3.22/5 (32 Reviews)

Designed for the tough world of mountain biking. The MTX is great for mountain bike touring with a full-suspension rig. It features a new universal deck design for mounting any one of our QuickTrack Trunk Bags.

Submitted by nutricycling a Cross Country Rider from Japan

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    Strong and simple to use, well priced, does exactly what is needed of it.

Bottom Line:
At first the rack would sway a little, but really cranking the bolt with the provided shims soon fixed that. Similarly the quick release would rub my inside thigh, again simply setting the quick release lever to th3 2 o' clock position remedied that problem. I use the bar with the matching bag (with zip out side bags) and commute over 250km a week with about 10kg of load, it is excellent and at the price a real bargain. Before I bought this I was using a great tatonka X-vent backpack, but having the load off my back makes commuting so much more pleasurable.

Favorite Trail:   Inuyama

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.

Bike Setup:   BeOne Karma 2.0 w/ Easton HAVOC AM wheelset.

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    It works! I got it on closeout with the bag that slides into it for $50 2 years ago. Does exactly what it's supposed to.

Weaknesses:    I use it on a cross bike. Read: short exposed seat post. So, it rides a little high on this bike. Not a problem on my compact frame mtn. bike. That high on the bike, and your center of gravity is a little wacky for a while, and the big-ass clamp rubs your legs until you get used to it... Lose the quick release.

Bottom Line:
Replace the quick release right away with a bolt and a washer, and crank it down.
1. It's going to slow someone down from taking it. Commuters can't use quick release anything unless you want to carry it everywhere.
2. My rack does not move a fraction of an inch under daily use, 8 miles a day, five days a week, packed to at least 20 pounds.

No more sweaty back from a backpack when I get to work! (If only my laptop fit in the thing!)

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn frame-mounted

Bike Setup:   Redline Cross bike with big tires (38's) fenders, lights, etc.

Submitted by KEITH SPANGLER from MECHANICSBURG

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    LOOKS GOOD / MOUNTING SYSTEM FOR TRUNK BAG IS SMARTLY DESIGNED FOR EASY ON AND OFF / LOOK STURDY

Weaknesses:    RACK DRIFTS OFF CENTER DURING RIDING / QUICK RELEASE SYSTEM DOESN'T ALLOW FOR SECURE MOUNTING OF THE RACK TO THE SEAT POST WITH SHIMS.

Bottom Line:
WOULD RECOMMEND IF I CAN GET THE DRIFTING TO STOP WITH RUBBER SHIMS - WE'LL SEE.

Purchased At:   BRANDE.COM

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   MOSER M76

Submitted by Noel a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Strengths:    Quick to install/remove. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Can sway when under load.

Bottom Line:
The rack intially swayed under load despite using the supplied shims (crap0, Eventually cut up an old tyre tube and used that. I have since had no movement despite the load I place on it (to it's maximum) and the maniacal riding I do through the city streets. Obviously this is not a rack for off road; buy one which attaches to more than just the seat post for that purpose. Otherwise, it's a good rack for when you want a rack for small things or for commuting with a light load and it's convenient in that it can be removed easily enough.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Bike Setup:   Mtb with road slicks

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2005

Strengths:    Ease of use; light but surprisingly strong.

Bottom Line:
Just completed a ten day crossing of France's "Massif Central" with this rack on the back of my hardtail.
Initially the quick release would allow the rack to sway one way or the other (especially on fast,rocky/technical sections). The easy fix was adding a rubber shim (inner tube), between the seatpost and QR clamp.

Gave it a good beating and was very impressed with the overall sturdiness and strength of the set-up.

Purchased At:   $50 Can ebay

Submitted by Andy from Cambridge

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    Simple, clean lines, except for jagged edge where it sheared in two. Makes interesting conversation piece (or more specifically, conversation PIECES.)

Weaknesses:    Weakness is right! It broke in normal usage. Customer service was non-existent.

Bottom Line:
This rack failed from metal fatigue, breaking close to the clamp which holds the rack to the seatpost. I guess it couldn't take the cantilever loading of 5 pounds on my occasional commute along two miles of smooth roads. I would anticipate I put less than 300 miles on that rack.

I emailed Topeak twice to see if they would address this failure. They did not respond, which has caused me to stop buying their products.

I can not recommend this product, but if you insist on buying it, you should only plan to carry a load occasionally, not daily. This is not a rack for commuters.

Also: if you must buy this product, don't mail-order it. It'll be a lot easier to get a refund/credit from your local bike shop than from a mail order house when it breaks. (Don't even bother contacting Topeak for a refund.)

To be fair, all seatpost-mounted racks will probably suffer from this type of fatigue. However, they could have designed it with more beef where it counts. Maybe I got an earlier version and the new ones are better. I wouldn't know because Topeak never responded (or did I mention that already?) >=|

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Earth

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2004

Strengths:    No eyelets? No problem!

Weaknesses:    Rotates

Bottom Line:
I bought this thing four years ago and gave up on using it. Like so many previous reviews, this sucker sways back and forth no matter how hard you tighten it. For that reason alone, I can't recommend it.

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Sturdy and dependable (see below)

Weaknesses:    Shim problem (see below)

Bottom Line:
This rack works great for daily bike commuting, which is grueling duty cuz the miles really add up. When I first got this thing, it broke in half within a couple of months. Topeak replaced it with no problem, and sent a redesigned model that was obviously much stronger. The replacement has lasted a year and a half. I cut up a rubber jar opener (you know, the rubber disk you buy at the supermarket) for shim material, and that works fine. I don't have any accessories, I put my clothes, towel, keys, tube/pump/multi-tool, cell phone, lunch, books sometimes and whatever else in a small duffel and strap it on with two bungies. That gives you an idea of the weight, maybe 10-12 lbs. It's great, if you need it, get it.

Purchased At:   Catalog

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race

Submitted by D a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to take on and off, fairly large, sturdy build, matching bag system

Weaknesses:    easy to steal if it is not locked to the bike

Bottom Line:
This rack is very nice. I have the new MTX version. This one is the biggest QR rack they make. I think I figured out how to solve the shim/rotation problem. I cut the shim a little off center and Krazy glued the pieces onto the inside of the clamp. It works great.

I was dissapointed that Topeak is not making the baskets for the new racks. My intention was to get the basket to carry my briefcase in around campus because I thought tossing it into a basket and throwing the bungee net (that Delta makes) over it would be a lot faster than securing the bag directly to the rack. However, I went to the container store and found a basket that will fit my briefcase better anyway. I am hoping that topeak would be willing to send the piece that slides into the rack (though they probably won't), but for now the basket is easily secured to the QR rack with some velcro straps.

Overall, a very nice rack, and not too awful of an expense.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   bell seat post rack

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Topanga

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Middleburg, VA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Easy on, easy off. Lightweight. I don't have the Topeak bag to fit onto it, but it seems like it's a good feature if I did. Can be used on a dual-suspension.

Weaknesses:    Can't hold as much weight as conventional bike racks. rubber bungee that is provided is virtually useless.

Bottom Line:
It is a decent rack. I like the ability to quickly install and remove it with the quick release lever. Like I stated above, I don't have the correct bag to go with it, but it hold other bags well enough--just provide your own bungee cord or strap, because the one provided is useless (unless I'm just too dumb to figure out how it works). I haven't had any trouble with keeping the rack in place as others have according to their reviews. I don't understand their complaint about a pump holder either, as there are two bolts underneath to attach a water bottle cage or pump holder that comes with your pump. Anyway, a good rack, and not too expensive if I remember.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp DS 3, yellow. Stock.

Submitted by Gary White a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    Very well made, good vfm, light, looks good, bungees and platform area just right, can use on my hardtail or full suspension bike. easy to fit

Weaknesses:    Not designed for Kona seat posts, which are 27.0mm. Using the shims supplied, it was impossible to get the mounting tight enough without over-stressing the bolts, hence to rack swings away from its centre position. I had to experiment with improvised shims (e.g. cut-offs from old inner tubes!)

Bottom Line:
(I have the non-QR version - two allen key bolts on a locking collar). A good idea but they need to sort out the locking collar and shim business - it's a struggle to set up on narrow seat posts.

Favorite Trail:   Old Springs Trail, Marin, Ca

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery, London

Bike Setup:   Kona Kilauea, Marzocchi X-Fly 100 forks, Easton EA 50 stem, bars and seat post, Specialiazed BG saddle, XT shifters and mechs, XTR rim brakes and levers, XTR hubs with Mavic rims, Race Face Prodigy XC crankset, Sachs PC69 chain, XT cassette, old LX SPD pedals, Specialiazed Mt.Baldy tires

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    nice looking design, light-weight, able to remove with little hassle, rubber bungee works great to hold down u-lock

Weaknesses:    swayed on seatpost, even with rubber shims supplied. a little bouncy over the curbs when weighted out.

Bottom Line:
My problem is that a conventional rack won't attach to my bike due to the cable disc brakes are in the way.

The best shim I've used is a sheet of rubber gasket material from the auto parts store. I'm anxious to get the quick release bag with the fold-out panniers (really nice!), but need to make sure the rack stays put so the pannier frames stay out of the spokes. I'll might consider getting the Topeak QR Basket.

Topeak would do well making a bolt-on version with a smaller post hole.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   blackburn mtn rack

Bike Setup:   Marin Hawk Hill with cable disc brakes, used primarily for commute to work, then weekend warrior action.

Submitted by Chris Goodger from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Combines with Topeak back for easy attachment

Weaknesses:    Does not hold onto seatpost securely. Limits wedge bag that can be attached

Bottom Line:
I liked the easy locking of the Topeak bag and rack as I use it for commuting every day, however the rack would not stay straight on the seatpost. It annoyed me so much, I gave up and bought a fixed rack instead. It also was very close to the seat and limited what wedge bag I could have under the seat.

Purchased At:   New Zealand