Home | Reviews | Pump | Zefal

2.25/5 (179 Reviews)

Zefal Mountain Pump

Submitted by Klaus Peter a Weekend Warrior from Hamburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    The pump is small, but big enough to feel good in your hand. The connection to the bikes Valve is good ans sits tight. Turning the pumps valve allows a connection to different bike valves.

Weaknesses:    Dust protection cap comes off to easy. You have to pump fast and hard to get enough pressure on a MTB tire. To archive more than 2 bars was unpossible fo me. But the worst thing is, what happend to me last week: The shaft cracked off the piston when I tried to pump. I jabed the sharp edged shaft deep in to my hand, the one that was holding the pump. After a few hours in hospital a wound full of grease and seven stitches later I would highly not recomend this pump.
A pump made for MTB should be strong enough to pump 2,5 - 4 bars. (My tiny race bike pump can do 6-7).

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't recomend it due to failing. Also the pressure you can archive is fairly low.

Purchased At:   Karstadt Sport

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Mini

Bike Setup:   Stevens, LX and XT

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    Tiny, light weight, mt. Zefal quality and price.

Weaknesses:    max. pressure is 60psi, takes a long time to get 26"x1.50", 1.750",1.950" slick tires to 60psi and likes to pinch the skin on your hands.

Bottom Line:
A small pump (so don't expect it to act like a floor model)
that is light weight, gets the job done (but not quickly) and for a good price. If your too lazy to lift weights, then pump everyones tires in your neighbourhood. After your skin gets pinched the first time, it'll never happen again.
I inflate my 26"x1.950" slicks to 65psi and 26"x1.50" slicks to 80psi. So have some time handy.
I had it clamped to my seatube from 1996-2001 on my 1996 GT Ricochet and never had to use it. I've only used it to add air to punctured tubes to see where the air leak was as I didn't want to use my floor pump. It came in handy in mid July 2005 when my Wrench Force floor pump's presta connection failed to work. I jammed it in deep and no the slime didn't clog it either.
Bottom Line: A great pump to carry along on rides if you ever need it (I never did) and even better as a back-up to a tempermental floor pump.

Purchased At:   D'Ornellas (1996)

Similar Products Used:   Hand pump - None till now. Gas station for free air, Bike Mate floor pump I found in the grass while golfing (1998), I guess the greens keeper rode a bike, the pump died in March 2005, pity it was excellent. Wrench Force floor pump with longer hose, guage and a head for both valve types.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by joel a Weekend Warrior from st cloud

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Doesnt work!!
Telescoping design is great for pinching skin.
DOES NOT WORK for shrader valve. This thing pissed me off so much I smashed it against my coffee table and broke my coffee table as well as the pump into a dozen tiny pieces.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY. COMPLETE JUNK!!

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   gas station air (free)

Bike Setup:   multiple

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Oak Creek, WI. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Pumps a lot of air for its compact size. I have ridden my bike hard with the "mini double shot" pump in several cross country citizen races and all over the Rockies. In the past 8 years of owning the pump, it has never come out of the clips while riding.

Weaknesses:    I replaced my water bottle cage and one of the clips broke at the attach hole. But I can't complain, it took many years of abuse.

Bottom Line:
Mt Zefal mini double shot pump is a great pump! I will buy another. I have seen them as cheep as $10 and as expensive as $30. It is a good buy at either price.

Purchased At:   Rim Cyclery , Moab Ut.

Similar Products Used:   another mt zefal mini double shot, and Blackburn air stick.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Disk, XTR, Fox Shocks,

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from New York City

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Light-weight, small, stays put on it's clip-holder and the velcro strap

Weaknesses:    I don't know if it's a weakness, but you can definitely develop a nice bicep work-out using it as you increasingly pump with it. I'm also not sure if the gauge on it works all the time. Does it ever?

Bottom Line:
Sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences with your Zefal Mountain Pump, but fortunately, mine has come through for me for over SEVEN YEARS. Gauge doesn't appear to work all the time, but it's main purpose to air-pump has always worked (with a little muscle, of course).

Rule of thumb: Keep the store receipt and keep exchanging the product until you get one that works correctly. Also, utilize the product's warranty!

I've been blessed -- I just happen to be one of those lucky Zefal customers!!

Favorite Trail:   Bear Mountain

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop/East 14th St/NYC

Submitted by Anna a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Durable. I used this pump as my ONLY pump for 10 years.(I don't own a floor pump)

Weaknesses:    Takes a lot of muscle to pump.

Bottom Line:
I'm taking my new pain-in-the-neck pump back and buying another Zefal. No retail stores around here carry them, so I'll just have to order online and wait for it to arrive!

Purchased At:   Michael's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I had to buy a new pump as soon as this one broke. I don't know the brand of the new one off the top of my head, but it's a pain. It's supposed to fit Presta and Standard, but it doesn't always work. I want my Zefal back!!!

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Antelope 850

Submitted by teddy a Weekend Warrior from albany, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    Light. Lasted 5 years (kind of). Presta and standard.

Weaknesses:    gets inoperable after a while - but it's now fixed. Feels flimsy. Build up your biceps... because it gets really heavy after 30psi's or so.

Bottom Line:
Just got a new bike and thought to air up the tires. I've had this pump for about 6 years now. It's a Mt. Zefal II graph. It worked well for my rusting roadie. Recently (today I think), it stopped working. Now don't get me wrong, this pump needs a real heavy hand to operate normally, but today it wouldn't put air in at all. I decided to fix the pump, or break it trying. I couldn't figure out how to take it apart, so I settled on adding some oil to the rubber seals and other moving parts. I ended up using oil that's supposed to be put on blades of hair clippers since it was the closest reach. Anyway, now the pump works like new - which was never the best, but reasonable for a hand pump. I think the one way valve or some similar innard was stuck in the closed position and the oil loosened it - because now I can feel the air coming out of the pump where before there was nothing but dead air no matter how hard I pushed the pump piston. So I guess the lesson is this: before you throw out your hand pump, add some oil - you might be surprised by the results. I've had this pump for five or six years now so I guess it's worth something. I use it for my bike, my basketball, and anything else that needs light duty pumping. It's not bad for a hand pump.

Purchased At:   missing link

Similar Products Used:   metal foot pump with gauge 17 yrs ago. Had to duct tape the airline just so I can get 20psi through that leaky thing.

Bike Setup:   03 Gary Fisher Tassajara. Shimano 515 clipless. hmm... had it for 2 days now so maybe more modifications to come (maybe a spoiler and some bigger chromier rims). :)

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Roswell NM

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    I have used this pump for 4 years and it not let me down yet

Weaknesses:    hard to change from presta

Bottom Line:
light and gets you back on the trail!

Similar Products Used:   floor zefal

Bike Setup:   jamis team full XTR

Submitted by Jason Nieman a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight. Fits well against the frame and never comes loose. Low profile. Cap keeps dirt out of pump head.

Weaknesses:    Takes quite awhile to pump up an MTB tire. For racing, CO2 is probably better.

Bottom Line:
After reading so many bad reviews, I figured I had to pipe in. Guys, this is not an every day pump. This is an emergency, on the trail pump. Keep it clean and use it like that, and it will serve you well. I have tried several other brands and they all fall apart almost instantly. The Zefal pumps are the best of the lot, and are also inexpensive. It takes awhile to pump up the tube, but it will bring it up to pressure and get you back on the trail. The graph feature is almost useless, though, so don't pay more for it.

I'd use the alloy bodied Zefal x4 on everthing, but it is too big to fit my size frame (16.5"). If you have problems with the minis, and flat a lot, and if it will fit, try those and you'll be happy as a clam.

Favorite Trail:   Warsaw

Purchased At:   Mail order

Similar Products Used:   Zefal x4, Blackburn, Serfas.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed with XTR.

Submitted by Paul Lang a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Cheap plasticy non-sturdy feel. Not confidence inspiring. Takes more effort to pump than others. More effort to insert/extract from (presta) valve.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the E1. Never was happy with the construction with the E1 from day 1, but didn't complain since it was my first handpump and it was cheap. Finally died on me and purchased a Topeak Einstein and immediately realised how much better the quality and construction the Topeak was over the E1. More important, inflating was comparatively effortless and insertion/extraction to valve was much easier too. The E1 suddenly felt like some real cheap toy from the 70's.
The E1 does it's job and never fell apart, but it's performance it certainly subpar compared to the competition.

Favorite Trail:   any trail.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Einstein

Submitted by Mike Suda from rochester

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    Light and short and telescoping chamber with pressure gauge

Weaknesses:    Gauge didn'twork after 1st week.Purchased new one gauge broke ,chamber cracked.

Bottom Line:
Doesn't hold up if you ride on nails alot.

Favorite Trail:   Skidmore

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Innovations

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Northampton, PA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight, looks decent

Weaknesses:    sliced open my thumb

Bottom Line:
Typing this review with oily, bloody fingers.

After reading these reviews, inspected my [E1] style pump. Original lube was pretty much dried up even though hardly used. Maybe this is why so many reviewers reported overheat & failure. Decided to do some preventative maintenance 'cause walking back to the trailhead sucks. Zefal instructions:

"
MAINTENANCE:
Unscrew caps on barrel end sides.
Pull out both washers then inject oil drops into barrels.
Practise to be done regularly.
"

Not specified what type of oil (motor oil, silicone oil, vegetable oil?) hope SAE30 motor does not deteriorate the rubber seals.

One reviewer found the metal pin - plastic pivot too delicate, so I oiled this and worked it back & forth and
*** MERDE!!! *** took a deep slice out of my thumb! At least was at home so could wash up. Poor design, would take a Dremel tool to the sharp corner but it might weaken the pump. Hope I never have to use this pump on the trail. If you already have one, inspect & maintain regularly.

Purchased At:   Blue Mtn. Sports, Jim Thorpe

Submitted by len moses a Cross Country Rider from eagle bridge n.y.

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    this peice of crap---i'm so pissed i smashed it against a
tree---when it did'nt break i smashed it between 2 rockes.

Bottom Line:
my own fault i knew it was crap before i got 10 miles
in the woods warning don't buy the mt zephal double shot!
i can't believe i have to give it even 1 chili.

Favorite Trail:   uncas