Home | Reviews | Pump | Zefal

2.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Zefal hpr Graph

Submitted by Scott Loveless a Weekend Warrior from Harrisburg, PA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Light, small, does the job when it's working.

Weaknesses:    Failed after about 6 uses. Dry gaskets. Greased pump. After using the pump 2 more times, it failed again.

Bottom Line:
LBS wouldn't refund or exchange without receipt. I've been told that there is contact information on Zefal's site. Spent close to an hour looking for it. Couldn't find it. I'll be replacing it with a competitor's pump.

Similar Products Used:   $10 pump from the department store. It's still working.

Bike Setup:   It has tires on it.

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Guildford, UK

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Servicable! It's made of aluminium and you can take it apart to grease it when it starts to creak. Takes bashes on the barrel without too much complaint. So the gauge isn't too accurate - I just use it to let me know when I'm in the right area. It's got to be as accurate as the old thumb press method. Spent a month in New Zealand with it and always knew I could pump tyres up with it...

Weaknesses:    Lets in water, gauge steams up (and water). Probably not the lightest or highest pressure (I haven't used above 60psi) - but I don't really care

Bottom Line:
Lost it yesterday, bounced off the bike somewhere muddy. I'm choked and have spent the last half hour trying to find somewhere in the UK that still stocks them...

Favorite Trail:   New Zealand

Similar Products Used:   About 6 months ago, decided it was time to upgrade. Went throught the old reviews and bought the recommended ultra light, pumptastic mega blasters. Man I hate plastic pumps, took it back after a day.

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    Graph is somewhat usefull, fairly light

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
Seems cheap from day one. After a season it seemed to be scraping a bit. The rubber gaskets were dry and rubbing themselves apart in the telescoping shaft...no problem, a little cleanup and some grease, good as new. Another season, broke plastic part connecting rubber seal to shaft. Lots of apoxy, it is fixed (sort of). Got a flat while on a trail and it came completely apart. Walked to the nearest shop and bought the blackburn...WAY more solid and haven't had a problem since.
Don't expect this pump to last more than 50-100 uses.

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   blackburn mountain

Bike Setup:   Metal frame, black tires that need air.

Submitted by Dave Montgomery a Cross Country Rider from Abilene, TX USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Has a accurate gauge

Weaknesses:    unable to get good seal, pump action sticks,not built very well

Bottom Line:
This pump is now somewhere in the city dump. It has let me down the 3 or 4 times I needed it. Totally fell apart on me this last time I had a flat. The telescoping barrel just came out of the pump when I initially pulled it out. Luckily I don't live that far away cause I had to walk my bike home.

Purchased At:   Catalog

Similar Products Used:   Araya

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC comp

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Sapporo, Japan

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Mini(small) has a guage fits schraeder and presta

Weaknesses:    none I'm aware of except it lacks the power of a floor pump

Bottom Line:
I've had mine at least 4or 5 years and it still pumps and more to my suprise my guage still works. Early on I put the thang on my frame only to find it became water and dirt clogged. I always carry a handlebar bag with shtuff for various contingencies (I know its extra weight ) so I've been keeping my pump in there and thats preserved it well. My buddy keeps his on his frame wrapped in an old inner tube to keep the water out.I've only used mine for my mtb tires so I dont know about its preformance beyond 50 psi, this is all I expect from a mini-pump on my mtb so if you need more check around.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   my old 1988 (older maybe) road frame pump

Bike Setup:   C'dale killaV before that a rigid Araya muddy fox (still 5N)

Submitted by Kriss Anderson a Racer from 66 Port O Call Dr. Apt D

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Strengths:    Pumps up tires to a very high pressure with relative ease and speed for a mini-pump.

Weaknesses:    Guage broke after a couple years and the little cap over the chuck broke off. The pump gets water in it after riding in the rain.

Bottom Line:
I was very surprised all the complaints. I have had mine for years and never had much trouble. I have to spray the shaft with WD-40 after riding in the rain to drive off moisture, but that is the only serious problem. The graph broke, but by then the plastic had clouded with age to the point that I couldn't read it anyways. I still use it after years of heavy use.

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2000

Strengths:    The pump "claims" to be able to reach high pressures (~120 psi) while being relatively small and having a gauge.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately, I agree with the other two reviews. The pump simply doesn't cut it at high pressures. The mechanism jams up beyond about 75 psi, and every next stroke feels the pump's last.

Bottom Line:
Anyone know of a good high pressure frame pump?

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn TPS-2, Zefal Mini Double Shot

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R400

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Hunt. Bch, CA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Everything

Bottom Line:
This pump is awful. It broke upon its first inflation test at LBS! So we tried another one, it broke also. After trying a third one, guess what? Strike three, your out! Don't even think about this one! I think testing three of these (all breaking on first try) is more than a fair evaluation. Quite possibly the worst pump you could buy!

tested or demo'ed only