Home | Reviews | Pump | Zefal

3.31/5 (32 Reviews)

Zefal Doubleshot Floor Pump

Submitted by shupack

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    This pump is 13 years old, just realized that.

Weaknesses:    hose died after 13 years, not really weak, but the weakest link.

Bottom Line:
The hose dry-rotted and leaks, so I'm looking for a new hose, pump still works great. Longest lasting bit of bike stuff I have (so far).

Submitted by George Bordovsky a Downhiller from Pasadena, Texas United States

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    Pumps up a car tire easily/quickly!

Weaknesses:    Gauge was never close to accurate; pump body would heat up and pump quit pumping(we're talking car tires here!) Would be Ok again for a while after cooling off, until it'd get hot again. Finally, after many years(~14/15)just about quit altogether. Doesn't appear to disassemble very easily. Haven't seen any repair kits available.

Bottom Line:
I'll probably buy another Zefal Double-Shot, if I can find one, and use it strictly on bicycles, to increase its longevity. Would like to find something similar(volume-wise) in a metal pump!

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, metal, hasn't failed, but nowhere near as efficient as Double-Shot! I carry the Zefal Double-Shot frame pumps on every bike I have(5.)

Bike Setup:   Old-time Cannondale, Peugeot, and Nashbar road bikes, and department store ten-speeds(20 and 33 year-old models)

Submitted by David Ellis a Weekend Warrior from Omaha NE, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    I have owned and used this pump for about 18 years, and it has performed great. The seals remain tight, and it works great. I did manage to slice the hose a few years ago, but fixed it with a coupler. I also use it for my motorcycle when a few more pounds are necessary.

Weaknesses:    I don't know of any.

Bottom Line:
My Zefal Husky pump is absolutely wonderful!

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Many floor pumps in my youth.

Bike Setup:   Specialized carbon pump

Submitted by Michael Ryerson a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas, USofA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    Sorry guys, but it's been a great product for me. Had it nearly 20 years, cutoff and replaced the junky original head with a Silca head. No problems until today. Seal gone on the downstroke side, found this site on my way to ordering spare parts from Zefal. Plan to use this pump another 20 years.

Weaknesses:    Original head was crap.

Bottom Line:
Ive had nothing but good luck with this pump and buy another in a flash if this one disappeared.

Favorite Trail:   HoChiMinh Memorial

Purchased At:   Bikecology Santa Monica

Similar Products Used:   have and use a couple of old silca pumps but they can't keep up with the Zefal speed.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R-600 (1987ish?) Fisher Al-1 (Early '90'S?)

Submitted by Greg Janke a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Heavy duty and solid. Fills up a tire in no time at all.

Weaknesses:    It leaks like a sieve! The rubber gasket is miserable and rarely gives a decent seal. The metal locking mechanism is also worthless and I took it off.

Bottom Line:
Forget Slica pumps. If I knew it was going to be this much trouble, I'd have bought a cheap throw-away and simply replaced it when it broke. Too much money for a piece of junk pump.

Purchased At:   Palisades Mountain Sports in Calistoga

Submitted by Steve Schneider a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Strengths:    fills fast, lots of cfm

Weaknesses:    Where do I begin? Head leaks, Gauge inaccurate, Foot stands are flimsy junk, won't stand up on its own

Bottom Line:
This pump sucks, or blows if you like. Don't waste your money. Buy the Specialized AirTool Pro. It is without question the best pump I've used at any price.

Purchased At:   xxcycle

Similar Products Used:   none this bad

Bike Setup:   Seven Axiom, Cannondale'z, Norco

Submitted by Matt Lou a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    Inflates quickly

Weaknesses:    Cheapo plastic, valve design could be better

Bottom Line:
Have used this pump for over 13 years without any problems. Constantly pumping tires to 100-130 PSI. Valve design is really the only weakness. I would still go with steel cylinder pumps as they are more reliable than any plastic pump.

Similar Products Used:   Zefal Husky, Zefal Rush, Topeak joe blow, Silca, etc

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Denali Park, AK

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    I have had a Double Shot floor pump for many years, use it to pump up my bike tires and car tires as well. The clamp doesn't seal around the tire valve as well as a Silca, but it works fairly well. I just tried to use it to air up a tire and found that the hose had finally given up the ghost. Had a terrible time finding anywhere to get a replacement hose, but finally a guy at Colorado Cyclist gave me the number for Zefal USA support, which is 888-515-7867. They said they'd send a hose right out for $10. Presumably one could get other parts there as well. I don't know why it's so hard to track them down, but with luck my pump will last another decade or so.

Bottom Line:
A good pump, and now, a place for parts.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Inflated tires quickly with minimal effort (with the stroke anyway)

Weaknesses:    wobbly base
gauge tough to read
head leaks all over the place

Bottom Line:
works beautifully if you have a buddy to hold the pump head straight on the valve stem. Otherwise it leaks all over the place. Also, the brilliant designers decided to put the gauge on the handle so you can't read it unless you stop pumping because it moves up and down. I don't recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Silca
cheapies

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200sci, Mavic wheels, Dura Ace

Submitted by Don a weekend warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have owned two Zefal Double Shot floor pumps. Mine also exploded (the inner plunger tube blew up) like other posts below have said, and one dealer here told me that it's not economical to repair and another said it takes him a month to get parts from Zefal. So I'm going to try the Blackburn TP-4 even though MBA says it takes twice the number of strokes to inflate a tube as the Zefal Double Shot. At least it's metal and hopefully more rebuildable. Also, the Double Shot's base is very unstable.

Submitted by canis majoris a cross-country rider from New Jersey, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have owned a Zefal doubleshot for about 10 years. This pump works great. I have never cleaned, greased or changed a thing. I use the pump often and even used is to pump up my car tire in an emergency.

Submitted by Gecko a weekend warrior from Midland MI

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

Best pump I've owned. It's quick and dependable. Everyone wants to borrow it. Handles any valve stem in the household.Problems incountered have been a broken hose storage clamp and I have recently broken the valve lock key. The pump itself is in good shape but I have had no luck finding replacement parts. I don't want to buy a new pump.Any suggestions?

Submitted by Drew Knox a weekend warrior from Wilmington, DE 19810

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

My honeymoon with the Doubleshot Floor Pump lasted a few years until I decided to turn the washer over to use the Schraeder valve. Now, back on the Presta side, I can't get a good seat. I finally gave up and slipped on a brass Silca valve (which is recommended below) but I still need three hands to pump up a tire. Finally, I resorted to a frame pump and am looking for replacement Zefal parts with little luck before buying a new pump. Where do these guys live?

Submitted by Robert a weekend warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just bought the double shot pump and it works well. Good
quality and a decent pump for the money. I due think that
some of zefal's newest models are a much better in quality
though but this one will work for now. The pump is very light weight and easy to handle, makes it nice to carry around though.

Submitted by Roger Matthews a cross-country rider from Fort Vermilion, Northern Alberta

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a Rush Plus and I am very upset at the poor quality. I have owned it for a little longer than a year and it was very expensive to purchace way up here. First I was a little put off that it is all plastic. At the beginning it worked great and the pressure guage is very acurate but one day the plunger blew apart and it seems unfixable. Anyone know how to communicate with the company? We live 10 hours drive from the nearest city.