Home | Reviews | Pump | Trek

2.88/5 (17 Reviews)

Trek Mini Pump

Submitted by Reno a Cross Country Rider from somewhere in Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Strengths:    It's small and rugged.

Weaknesses:    Impossable to use on shrader valves. It takes about 600 pumps to get my tire to 35-40 PSI.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this pump. Not even if it's free. This pump ripped my valve off twice. Not to mention it takes 20 minuites to pump your tire up with it.

Purchased At:   Local bike store

Similar Products Used:   toepeka, blackburn

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1999

Strengths:
- Small
- Looks pretty smart
- Works under all conditions

Weaknesses:
- Takes too much energy to pump up a tire
- Slips off valve sometimes

Bottom Line:
I purchased this pump because I was in desperate need of one at the time. It was over priced ($25 Can) for one thing. It also took way too long and too much energy to fill a tire. When I was filling up one of my presta valve tubes, it slipped off and broke the valve. This pump just doesn't cut it. I've since switched to CO2 cannisters for the trail. I gave it two stars for its aesthetics and size.

Trek 820
Trek Y-3

Submitted by Pete Ces a Weekend Warrior from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
small

Weaknesses:
not durable
pump 4ever to fill tire

Bottom Line:
This is probably not a good time for me to write this review. It was 90 yesterday, but not too hot to ride. Too hot to walk an hour because my Trek pump didnt work, but that's what happened. Shoulda learned my lesson when riding last summer it took two of us to fill a low tire because the pump is horrible. I am a Trek guy but this pump let me down big. I started to pump up the new tube and nothing. I switched the head from Scraeder to Presta, even though I have a Presta adapter, which took me awhile because the thick rubber gasket is a pain to take out. Nothing. I was so pissed it was unbelievable. Went to LBS during lunch and picked up the Topeak Einstein pump. I love it. Filled up totally flat tube in about 90 sec. Anyway Trek usually makes great products, but this thing was nothing more than dead weight on my frame. Let me down when I most needed it. Can I give this zero?!?!

topeak einstein

Trek,manitou shockstopeak einstein pump(THANK GOD)

Submitted by Jason Lacey a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: March 29, 1999

Strengths:
Small
Durable
dual pump action

Weaknesses:
Takes a lot of energy to pump up a completely flat tire.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a I pump I could carry with me on the bike that was durable and would not explode the first time used. I found it in the Trek. It is both small and durable. It also had a lifetime warranty. The one that came with my Autobike was cheap and the hose attachment burst before I had pumped more than 20 pumps. This pump works great even if you have to pump a flat. The only drawbacks are you get a workout trying to pump more than 10 pounds of air and it is confusing to use for you first time. Remember to put the end lever up to lock on the stem before pumping.

2 Years

cheap pump that came with Autobike

CSA Autobike
Cannondale M300

Submitted by Paul a cross-country rider from Greenwood Lake

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had this pump for over a year now and I've never had a problem with it. It always pumps fine even after being submersed in water and mud. Five chilis. Good pump. Fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words.

Submitted by Paul Andrews a cross-country rider from Greenwood Lake, NY

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had the pump for over a year now and I've had no problems with it. Solid pump. Water and mud doesn't phase it. It's taken some beatings but it's always been there for me. Only problem. When I first got the pump I couldn't figure out how to use the damn thing...guess thats cause I'm an idiot.

Submitted by Pico a racer from Alabama

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

This thing blows so bad that it sucks. Used the pump twice with few problems and then went to use it a third time and it broke. It had a spoke wrench on the end that screws on and holds in place the rubber piece that wraps around the valve stem. The quality plastic became stripped from the aluminum spoke wrench causing the entire thing to fall come off everytime I tried to inflated my tire. A real great pump to rely on when you are in the middle of nowhere with a flat.

Submitted by Tom a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Do yourself a favor and don't buy one. Cheap products like this are attractive because mountain biking eats at your pocket book. If you buy this product, you might as well just take $25 and flush it down the toilet. Sorry Trek, but this piece of garbage you made frustrated me so much that I had to write this up. It is irresponsible for a company to put something like this on the market place. You don't want to rely on a pump like this if you bike deep into the desert oor if you go on long cold winter rides.

Submitted by Gavin a weekend warrior from gilbertsville, NY

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

The trek mini pump has worked fine for me once i figured out how to use it. The problem with figuringnout how to use it was because my LBS did not give me the box and instructions so I was not sure what how to lock it oh well. good enough for me condering the cap was lost.

Submitted by Nate a weekend warrior from Harrisonburg VA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

Not worth the time or money. I bought mine the same day I bought my Fisher bike and it broke the first time I tryed to use it! Save yourself the trouble and buy a Blackburn!

Submitted by Craig a weekend warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

Broke the first time I needed it, I won't try to fix it, it never worked that
well anyway. There's got to be better out there.

Submitted by Dominic a cross-country rider from UK

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

Mine broke on saturday. I had liked it until then! It was about 10 months old & had worked fine & was nice & small.
Not very durable. I won't buy another.

Submitted by Jeff Little a racer from IN

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

This pump is very small and durable in construction. It's a two stroke pump, and it holds onto the valve well, but getting it on the valve can be difficult if you have a cheap butyl tube with a short stem. It also takes several hundred
strokes to pumpup a tire to around 40 psi. It works OK, but there are better pumps out there.

Submitted by Lionel K a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1996

Bottom Line:

Great two-stroke pump with rugged construction and a reversible presta/schraeder head, but the mounting clip (which attaches the pump next to the bottle cage) sucks. Mounted next to the cage on either side, the pump sticks out, either making shouldering the bike a pain, or else it will get in the way of the chainring.
However, the pump itself is way better than my old zefal doubleshot, which gave up after 10 months.

Submitted by Albert Barros a weekend warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1996

Bottom Line:

Strong, light, functional design, fits presta or schraeder valves. Have had no problems with under the cage mount. Affordable, good air flow for size.

Mini Pump Hose

Aloha, This may not be for everyone but I just thought I'd post this up. The idea is to have a mini-pump driven hose with a universal head that can be hooked up to schrader or presta. This does multiple things for me. 1) My old pump, I don't have to worry about which way it is set and what k ... Read More »

Recommendation for a good mini-pump for Camelback?

I did a bunch of searching but haven't seen a good thread for recommended mini pumps. I hadn't checked my mini pump in over 5 years. When I needed it today, a mile from the car, it wouldn't work. So I'm in the market for a new one. I'm looking for one that's not too long (the 13" Topeak Mounta ... Read More »

Lost mini pump at Granite Bay

Hello everyone, My buddy accidentally left his tire pump on the ground on a group ride this Monday afternoon. This was at the base of the main hill on the GB race course, near the Twin Rocks Rd park entrance. It would have been lying in the hay that is left-over from the huge haystack that was se ... Read More »

CO2 or mini pump

I had a road bike for a while and carried a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMDI9E?ie=UTF8&tag=5869-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B003BMDI9E"]CO2 inflator[/URL] with me to inflate a spare tire if needed. Do those work for mountain bikes as well or is it too little air to inflate ... Read More »

What is your favorite mini pump?

I am looking to purchase a mini pump, for trail emergencies. Is there a mini pump that stands out? I am not looking to pay over 50$. And the smaller and lighter the better; it at least has to fit in my camelbak. I am also going to be carrying a spare tire pressure gauge, so I don't need a pu ... Read More »