Home | Reviews | Pump | Torelli

3.79/5 (19 Reviews)

Torelli Floor Pump

Submitted by Carl a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Holding open doors. Holding up the hood lid on my car.

Weaknesses:    Pumping air

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 on sale a year ago. Both are broken.This product is junk!It says "Made in Italy" but I seriously doubt it. A Taiwan sticker feel out of the box when I opened it. I would not buy this product at any price.

Favorite Trail:   Monument

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Silca
Performance
Joe Blow

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, Nevada

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    It stands on its own. It is easy to take apart. I have the long version so it pumps things up rapidly when operational.

Weaknesses:    I am reporting back two years after having had to replace the original pump because the poorly engineered plastic disk at the end of the plunger has again broken. My warranty ran out a year ago, which may explain why I get no answer to my email concerning parts. This unit is from Italy, and it may be that Italians haven't heard of replacement parts despite the hype about how the pump is made of quality components and is of a simple design so any idiot can repair it. Any idiot who buys one of these will need to repair it. I had to replace the hose clamps with stainless steel band clamps and tighten the pressure gauge before I could pressurize anything. And now, after only two years of light use, the plastic end on the plunger has again snapped off.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this pump unless you are a machinist capable of fabricating your own replacement parts out of steel, brass, or bronze.

Similar Products Used:   various hand pumps and a few old floor pumps

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Simple design, quality materials, excellent pressure gauge. The pump is fast and efficient to use.

Weaknesses:    I purchased one of these 11 months ago and once I figured out how to connect it to the valve stem I thought I had one great pump. And then one day I began pumping and just the handle went up and down. I took it apart and in the middle of all those quality parts I found a plastic disk with an integrated plastic connection to the steel shaft. You guessed it, the disk snapped off the end of the pump handle shaft. That is the bad news. The good news is that the dealer has sent a replacement, a whole new pump not just a new plastic disk. I looked inside and found it has the same plastic unit at the end of the handle. I can only wonder how long this version will last. My warranty is for 12 months. I find it ironic that the manufacturer would build everything but the highest stressed component from time-tested materials and that replacement parts aren't available.

Bottom Line:
I wonder if this is the bike pump version of "The Weakest Link" or if my problem was just a rare case of stress failure?

Purchased At:   via internet

Bike Setup:   A couple of mountain bikes, but this unit is good for all my inflated needs.

Submitted by Jimmy a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Updat from my last post-

Called the Torelli U.S. distributor and spoke to a very nice guy who will send me all the replacement parts for free! he said, "I'll take care of you". Can't be that for customer service! That kind of customer service is rare these days. Five stars for service but still One turd for the quality of the product.

Submitted by Jimmy a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    Looks like it has potential....

Weaknesses:    Almost everything; the price, build quality, balance, did I mention the bad quality?

Bottom Line:
I bought this pump after reading the initial reviews touting the great quality of this pump. What a piece of crap! The build quality is worse than the $10 Chinese pump. Here's what's broken after one year, even though I didn't use it for more than a dozen times: the cheapy plastic washer snaps in half after the pump tips over, the Cheapy plastic handle with scratchy edges looses the caps on the ends, leaky hose at the base. Man, what prissy little pump. You have to have the the chuck in just the right way and the hose has to be perfectly straight between the tire and the pump or it will leak...what a disaster!

The people who said this was a good pump must have been using their mouths to pump their tires all these years for them to say this is good product.

Similar Products Used:   Cheapy Taiwan pumps.

Bike Setup:   2001 Schwinn Homegrown Limited, 2001 Schwinn Fastback Limited

Submitted by Trek-er a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    Ummm let's see, if its supposed to pump up tires ,then I guess it doesn't have any.

Weaknesses:    Head blows off presta valve stems at 75 psi.

Bottom Line:
This pump is really worthless. After fighting with the head for two weeks I finally went out and bought a Specialized hose and Presta/Shraeder combo head. Then it worked great. But after letting it sit over the winter, I went to use it last week and guess what - the check valve doesn't work! The air just blows back into the pump and lifts the handle! So I am back using the old Medai AGAIN!!
I absolutely don't recommend this pump.

Purchased At:   on the web

Similar Products Used:   Trusty old Medai made in Taiwan - has worked for over 10 years - hose got old and leaked so I thought I would invest in a new pump.

Bike Setup:   Tomassini road bike w/ Dura Ace, Trek Fuel 98

Submitted by Gordon a Weekend Warrior from Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Solid metal construction, Great pumphead, long hose, tall enough to get some extra air with each stroke

Weaknesses:    Base could be broader. Ideally the pumphead would accomodate presta and schrader without dismantling, but this is really a simple matter with this head- much easier than with Zephal.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful pump. Pumphead (new design- not as pictured in websites- not Silca brass head) really works. It stays on and doesn't leak air after you've unclamped it. Pump stroke is good (smooth, not too stiff, not much resistance). Customer service was really great with Schwabs too.

Purchased At:

Similar Products Used:   Zephal double shot

Bike Setup:   Spectrum custom, Chorus

Submitted by Richard Levy a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent clamp for Presta. Easy to use, durable.

Weaknesses:    The clamp holding the hose to the pump is WEAK at high pressures - causes leakage of air above 70 to 80 psi.

Bottom Line:
Replace the factory clamp with a small clamp from an auto parts store. Use the type of clamp that you can screw down tight onto the pump nozzle.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Somewhere on the www

Similar Products Used:   Many other pumps

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas NV

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I don't understand the two reviews below. I initially had problems with the pump valve to stem connection. Tried to force the valve onto the presta stem too far like I would have to with all the other cheap pumps on the market but the tube would not inflate. After thinking I wasted my money, I adjusted the distance I put the valve onto the stem and it has worked beautifully ever since. I have yet to use a better pump. I hope the two posters below contacted their LBS and had the hose and valve replaced for free rather than trashing it.

Purchased At:   International Pro Bike Shop

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to attain Road Bike tire pressures. Smooth operation. Excellent build quality.

Weaknesses:    The valve fitting is about worthless. It is suppose to work with presta and schraeder valves, and it does...poorly.

Bottom Line:
This is a fabulous pump with a terrible valve fitting. Buy it if you can afford to modify it using another hose and valve fitting. Do not buy it if you want out-of-the box performance.

Favorite Trail:   Sulfur Springs

Purchased At:   bikyle.com (a good shop with heavy emphasis on customer service)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Air Force

Submitted by Hammer Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Big Sky, Montana

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Good pump body and gage

Weaknesses:    Terrible hose and valve connector

Bottom Line:
Air leaked from hose to pump connection at anything over 80 psi. Valve stem connector is ridiculus - it is impossible to get it to stay on the valve stem (Presta type). After two weeks of fighting with it - I threw the hose and connector away and bought a Specialized hose and dual head connector. Now it works great. I can pump up to 120 psi no problem.

Favorite Trail:   glacier

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   specialized, medai

Bike Setup:   road bike

Submitted by Frank from Las Vegas NV

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    Reliability

Bottom Line:
Well it's been 18 months now using this pump. I pump my tires up every three days and still going strong. No problems whatsoever. This pump may be a little pricey, but it will be the last pump you will have to buy.

Purchased At:   International Pro Bike shops

Similar Products Used:   Zefals

Submitted by Mike from Albany

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Accurate gauge, very easy to use, and very dependable

Bottom Line:
It's simply the best !!!! and it's made in Italy too !!!

Purchased At:   bikyle.com

Similar Products Used:   Silca

Bike Setup:   Specialized RockHopper A1 Comp FS

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas NV USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Strengths:    Accurate gauge, easy to use, dependable

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review. After one year of almost daily use, this pump is still going strong without the slightest hint of any trouble. No sign of wear on the nozzle, the pumping action is still smooth, and the gauge is very accurate. If you need a pump, don't waste your money on anything else.

Similar Products Used:   Zefal Big shot

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Classic & Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Frank from Edwards CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
This really is a fantastic pump. No fooling around with trying to get the hose onto the tube valve and locking it in place. All you need to do is slide the hose fitting over your presta valve and start pumping. The guage is the most accurate I have seen yet. The housing of the pump is 4130 steel so it will last forever. This really is the best floor pump I have ever used. You can easily dissasemble the pump if need be for service, cleaning or relubing the pump shaft. If you are in the market for a new floor pump, or are disatisfied with your current one, this is the pump you should buy. You can spend more on other pumps, or less if you desire, either way if you don't buy the Torelli floor pump you will be wasting your money.

Purchased At:   International Pro Bike shops