Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

3.08/5 (13 Reviews)

Twister Digital Floor Pump

Submitted by wexlermd a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    Super well made. Easy to pump.

Bottom Line:
I use it on my cars. Enough said.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   unknown

Similar Products Used:   countless brands

Bike Setup:   3 Kleins, 2 Colnago Carbons, AMP B4; Schwinn Paramount, assorted Cannondales etc...

Submitted by road_rider a Racer from San Marcos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Great pump have been using it for 7+ years, sorry it's not made anymore. Easy to get to 105 PSI, audible alert for reaching pressure is great feature. Having lasted so many years can't find a fault.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to keep on straight on long valve stems, but just pump a little faster

Bottom Line:
Topeak should get one similiar back on the market

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by alcid61063 a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2008

Strengths:    Digital Gauge and over pressure release. Also great idea to be able to set the maximum pressure desired with alarm. These are what sold me on it.

Weaknesses:    Broke down after fewer than 6 uses. Was "leaking" air from somewhere beneath the gauge. Could not stop pumping without losing substantial air from tire.

Bottom Line:
When it worked it was OK. But, this did not last very long. Hard to believe that it failed so soon. I have an old-fashioned floor pump that is 30 years old. Still has the same hose and valve fitting.[connector] Works great! But it was unusable until I "made the conversion."

At this price. It should work; don't you think.

Topeak: Should get rid of the smart connection and replace with a dual head. Smart valve connectors are a pain. Everyone that I have tried will not release from the valve easily.

Favorite Trail:   MA

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport. It works AOK.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sequoia Elite. Armadillo 700x 1.5 tires Converted to Schrader,

Submitted by Cam a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth fast and easy pumping action.
Excellent customer service.
5-year product warranty
no complicated tinkering to get it to switch between presta or woods or shreader

Weaknesses:    The digital readout on my first two pumps (both had to be exchanged) were wonky. The smart-head exploded after 2 seasons of moderate use.

BUT each time it was exchanged with no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
It pumps easily and well.

I'm happy with this product even though I had to exchange it for a new one 3 times.

Purchased At:   velotique.com

Similar Products Used:   a dazzling variety of other pumps

Bike Setup:   Carbon carbon and carbon with some titanium, magnesium, and a bit of aluminum... ok ok the chain and spokes and bearings are still steel...

Submitted by hank greenblatt a Racer from newburgh, ny , usa

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    audible alarm and digital gauge. handle lock for easy transport. the hook that holds the tubing when not in use is a nice idea but I think it is the cause of the problem as hooking the tubing in the hook pulls on the end of the tubing attached near the gauge and I think this loosens the base and causes the leak. both my pumps leak at the exact same spot and they've not been abused or dropped.

Weaknesses:    shortevity (the opposite of longevity)

Bottom Line:
got two, one for work and one for home since I commute by bike and want to fill up at both ends of the commute if necessary. both lead around the base of the digital gauge after a couple dozen uses. thats too bad since the features are the best I've seen on any pump at any price.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   these re;laced a 20 year old silca that just gave out; I'm bidding on another silca as we speak.

Bike Setup:   two serotta road bikes. one steel with chorus and one ti with ultegra

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from san jose, CA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Was a nice pump while it lasted - fast, handles presta or schrader without switching adaptors, digital readout

Weaknesses:    just blew a seal - will not pump air. I'd guess I got a couple of dozen uses out of it.

Bottom Line:
I want to find a reliable pump - this is not it. Making a good pump would seem to be pretty simple.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Frogskins a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Digital readout, release button

Weaknesses:    "Third Leg" a little weak

Bottom Line:
I like this pump. Pumps ton of air in on each stroke. I just hope it doesn't develop the same problems as the rest of the reviewers.... Should have checked here first, my mistake. Since it's doen alright by me, I'l lgive it a half-decent rating

Submitted by Mike O from Pasadena area, California

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    Nice features - bleed valve, smart head for presta/schrader, well designed handle.

Weaknesses:    Leaky bleed valve, digital gauge readout became glitchy and unreadable after 6 months

Bottom Line:
Bought this pump at Supergo 6 months ago at a great price of $40. The first pump had a leaky bleed valve and exchanged it. The second pump lasted 6 months and I returned it today due to the digital gauge readout was starting to lose some of its digits. I had to press down on the face of the gauge to get the LED readout to display all the digits. I like the design of the Topeak pumps and really liked the digital readout but I think a pump should outlast your bike. I'm gonna buy a Blackburn TP4 pump I think.

Purchased At:   On sale at Supergo June '00

Similar Products Used:   Specialized floor pump

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR-XC comp

Submitted by Douglas a Racer from Cambridge, MA USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Intelligent and efficient stowage design. Cool stabilizer kick-stand. Digital gauge. Comfortable pump.

Weaknesses:    LEAKY!!! AFTER SECOND USE!!!

Bottom Line:
ARGH!! I thought for sure Performance would have caught the leak problems with this pump and either pulled them off the shelf or had them "factory reconditioned."

I can't even pump up my tires with it now -- the second time I went to use it, it leaked profusely around the gauge assembly, no matter how I fiddled with it.

It's too bad because it's a cool pump.

I've left a message with Topeak (Todson) on 8/25/00 but haven't heard anything back yet.

Performance customer service was useless. They just offered to exchange it or refund my money -- effectively ignoring the quality issue with the pump.

Based on my experience, the leak ratings submitted below are accurate. If you want problems with an expensive floor pump, buy this one.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Submitted by Mossy a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Strengths:    Feature-packed, Einstein head rocks, bleed valve is nice.

Weaknesses:    Leaky

Bottom Line:
Overall a very nice pump, but like the previous reviewer, I also had a problem with leaks from the hose/gauge junction. I called Topeak and to their credit, they're sending out a new gauge/hose assembly. It sounds like this is a common problem, cause they seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

I suppose any product can have problems, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope the new assembly has a more durable design. Four stars for the pump (when it works) but I'll have to subtract two for the durability issues.

Bottom line, Id say the hardcore cyclist will probably be better served by a less trick, more durable design. Next time, I'll probably go silca.

Similar Products Used:   Performance Hurricane,

Submitted by robert rishel a Racer from Mobile, ALabama

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    Very powerful pump, easily reaches high pressures. The smarthead is also agreat idea and seems to work pretty well, although I have noticed some problems in latching on to the odd schrader valve.

Weaknesses:    The digital gauge went south after about 4 months; if I squeeze the gauge just right I can sometimes get a reading. The accuracy is suspect. At about the 5 month mark it began leaking around the gauge, hose, pump junction. For a while, if I held everything just so it would work, but that deteriorated into a festival of blown out o-rings. pump one tire over 30 lbs and psssssssst. Take it apart, reseat the o-ring, try again.......etc, etc.

Bottom Line:
I was beyond disappointed with this pump, digusted is more the word, particularly when you consider my wife spent nearly 70 bucks on this thing as a gift. I liked it when it worked but it is unreliable. In Topeaks defense, however, they are going to warranty it without hesitation and are going to replace it with a JOE BLOW DELUXE at my request. For this customer service I will at least give this one chili.

Submitted by Steve a Please Select from Centreville, VA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Paid $60 for the pump. I have a road bike, a mountain bike, an off road motorcycle, and a street motorcycle, so I have plenty of toys that need air alot. I wanted a great pump, price wasn't the biggest issue. An average pump was about $40, for only $20 more this seemed like a bargain. This pump goes from Presta to Schraeder automatically, which is fantastic, and I love the digital display. My only gripe is that I wish I could turn the little beeper that says when you have hit your preset pressure off. As you pump the pressure shoots up but then levels off, so the beeper goes off a few times before the pressure has actaully been reached. A small price to pay for a pump this nice.

Submitted by KIMO a weekend warrior from Cerritos, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

WOW, TALK ABOUT CHI-CHI POINTS!!!!!! PICKED UP THE TWISTER FLR. PUMP YESTERDAY. THIS IS VERY HIGH TECH FOR SOMETHING THAT BIKERS USE & FORGET.
IF YOU'RE FAMILIAR W/ THE TOPEAK JOE BLOW FLR. PUMP, THIS IS VERY SIMILAR. THE NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCES ARE, THE PUMP TUBE IS A BIT BIGGER=MORE AIR IN TIRES, QUIKER, THE SMARTHEAD- YOU CAN USE IT EITHER FOR SHRADER OR PRESTA W/O TURNING OR SWITCHING THE HEAD. THIS IS A REAL NICE FEATURE. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT- THE DIGITAL DISPLAY. IT HAS AN ALARM TO TELL YOU WHEN YOU'VE REACHED THE SET TIRE PRESSURE, ALSO HAS A BUILT-IN RELEASE VALVE IN CASE YOU OVER INFLATE. IT SWITCHES FROM PSI TO BAR TO Kg/Cm2 W/ A PRESS OF A BUTTON. TO SET TIRE PRESSURE, THERE IS AN UP & DOWN BUTTON TO GET THE RIGHT PRESSURE. TO SUM UP THIS REVIEW....THIS PUMP IS VERY ACCURATE!!!! I HAD ANOTHER PUMP & IT JUST WAS NOT ACCURATE READING THE DIAL. TO MY SURPRISE, IT WOULD BE AS MUCH AS 8lbs OFF ITS MARK. THE TWISTER, IS VERY RELIABLE & ACCURATE. NO MORE OVER OR UNDER INFLATING. W/ THE DIGITAL DISPLAY, IT TAKES THE GUESS WORK OF HOW MUCH lbs. YOU HAVE PUMPED. THE ONLY BUMMER IS, IT COSTS AROUND $70.00. FOR DURABILITY, WE'LL SEE.........