Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

Topeak SmartHead Upgrade Kit Pump

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

This upgrade kit will replace your old or worn-out pump hose and head with SmartHead technology. SmartHead technology means this adapter works on both Presta and Schraeder valves without changing any parts or buying 2 separate adapters. Aluminum thumb-lock lever ensures an air-tight seal over valve. Easy to use and install.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Strengths:    Kept my old pump out of the landfill. Affordable. Easy to install. Works best on Presta style valves.

Weaknesses:    Takes a bit of fiddling to get to work with Schrader valve stems.

Bottom Line:
I've found that when using with Schrader style valve stems that wiggling the Smarthead onto the valve, then pumping 1-2 times BEFORE flipping the lever up to engage it seems to allow the head to seat properly on the valve. This apparently allows the air pathway to be aligned correctly. Without doing this, the pathway doesn't open and the air you pump just builds up in the hose rather than going into the tube.

The Presta style works excellent with this head. Just press on, flip the lever and pump.

I installed this kit on my Topeak Joe Blow pump. I did not need to change any of the pump's original fittings.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Waterford RS-33, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, Trek Multi-Track 730 (commuter with Schrader valves), Cannondale Silk Road 500

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    Solid construction; can retrofit any floor pump I can think of; long hose.

Weaknesses:    Couldn't get it to work with presta valves without removing the plastic schrader valve core depressor pin. This was supposed to work with both valves without changing a thing right out of the box. No worries for me though as I only have presta valves to deal with but a problem for those with both. At half the cost of a low end floor pump you may be better off just buying a whole new pump.

Bottom Line:
For $17 I was able to bring my 15 year old Avenir floor pump back to life. The kit had the right threaded adapter for my floor pump and even comes with hose clamps if you just want to cut your current hose and splice this one on. The only downer is that I couldn't figure out how this head would work for both valve types without changing the internal configuration.

Purchased At:   TJ Frisbee

Similar Products Used:   I've used nearly every brand of pump.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Bryan Denetclaw a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to use versatile design, and many different ways to adapt the SmartHead to any pump. I was able to retrofit the smart head to a Zefal Husky Pump. My Zefal Husky Pump has been good to me for 10 years and still going strong.

Weaknesses:    I use the pump for presta and schrader applications. It will works for presta, but will not work for schrader applications after 3 months of use. SmartHead rebuild kits are not readily available and it is not cost effective to buy another SmartHead upgrade kit again. The SmartHead will not depress the spring in the schrader valve to allow air to fill the tube, it is not required for the presta fittings.

Bottom Line:
I rate this product 1 chili, because it is not durable and left me without schader capability. I can understand if the product is ineffective after years of use, but after 3 months with a failure does not rate this product highly.

Purchased At:   Paragon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Air Tool Pro & Silca Pista

Bike Setup:   Kona chromoly steel frame, marzzochi X-Fly 80 fork, Sram components & ringle/sun wheelset.

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Grande Cache, AB

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2005

Strengths:    Works

Bottom Line:
I've been using the same Zefal Husky for longer than I can remember - seven or eight years, at least. After a couple seasons the head was screwed, and I couldn't find parts for it. Bought the Topeak head, as it was about 1/3 the cost of a replacement pump.

Well, the Topeak is showing no signs of wearing out after several seasons of riding. I don't know what "Mr. Tested or Demo'd Only" is talking about - this head works on everything from low pressure Scraeder DH tubes to 120 psi road tires - no leakage. Highly recommended to save your pump from the garbage can.

Purchased At:   MEC

Submitted by Garth Honhart a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2005

Strengths:    Promises to be usable for schrader and presta valves. Beats buying a new pump

Weaknesses:    No matter how far down the valve stem you go, it lets the air out of both schrader and presta valved tires.

Bottom Line:
Pass on it. Big promise that doesn't deliver. I should know better than to think something that promises to do it all won't do anything.

Get a dual head instead

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail, Tahoe NV

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Silca, schwinn

Bike Setup:   K2 Oz, and Airborne Valykrie

Submitted by Paul Suburban Commando a Racer from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2005

Strengths:    Nice heavy head, Smarthead is innovative, has some metal parts which forecast reliability, excellent length hose. Esay set up.

Weaknesses:    I thought I was the only idiot who got his thumb pinched by the lever, but I guess not. Since it requires a decent amount of force to open the lever (which can be seen as a good thing because once the lever is flipped out, it does a good job of sealing around the valve stem) when you go to disengage it, it can really snap back at you. Trust me, once you get your thumb crushed by that thing, you will never ever make the mistake of leaving any of your fingers in the wrong place ever again.

Bottom Line:
An excellent upgrade for medicore pumps, not a bad deal considering you get a nice hose, head, and assorted parts for under $20, and it is a better head than what comes stock on many pumps, even Topeak's. Overall ratying dips a bit, how can I give it a fiver after it bit my thumb? I would if Topeak included at least a WARNING in its instruction manual.

Favorite Trail:   rocky point

Purchased At:   campus bike @ stony brook

Similar Products Used:   Original Silca Pista with Columbus tubing, for 20 years! Everyone should have one of these because evev though they have a crappy head, they don't die.

Bike Setup:   Or more importantly, pump set up: I installed this on a JoeBlow pump, and now I have an easy to use, versatile pump good for MTB and Road.

Submitted by Dan Daniel a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Nice quality long hose. Decent head. Adapters to attach hose to most pump bases.

Weaknesses:    Lever on head- difficult to use.

Bottom Line:
The head broke on my Blackburn TP-2 and the store didn't have a replacement in stock. They told me to try this setup. Installation was easy- find the right adapter in the bag and screw it together. The head works fine, but I don't like the lever. It is hard to close and open, and it took too long to learn how to avoid getting my finger smashed by its action. Still, it worked, and I finally learned to pay attention. The dual valve function works fine. The hose itself is a nice length and nice quality. If you have a nice pump and can't get a stock replacement head or hose (or never liked the original), this is a fine replacement. Just watch that lever!

Favorite Trail:   con

Purchased At:   Valencia Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   stock Blackburn, Zefal, and Silca heads.

Bike Setup:   ? They all have tires that need to be pumped up.