Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

2.04/5 (26 Reviews)

Topeak Shock Master Blaster

Submitted by kickback2 a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Strengths:    Sturdy built, copmes with its harness to strap to the bike. feels good in hand not made cheap.

Weaknesses:    Takes alot of effort to pump up a tire. ( but its called mini for a reason) Really none thing other then that.

Bottom Line:
I think its a great little pump. For this flat tires. Its my first pump that I owned on my bike. I seen bad reveiws, but luckly I havent had any problems with it so far.

Favorite Trail:   JPL

Purchased At:   Vans Cycle bikes

Similar Products Used:   Never had a pump on my bike before.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Talus 8.0 2010

Submitted by KI from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    None, perhaps its price

Weaknesses:    Unusable

Bottom Line:
Before it broke it was hard to get accurate readings on the pump, it lost pressure when disconnected, and was generally not easy to use.

The SID adapter that came with it broke off in the valve, rendering the shock useless. It is prety hard to get a replacement valve for an 8 year old shock, so I had to get a new one. Maybe the pump did me a favor.

Submitted by rdb kab a Cross Country Rider from wv

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Strengths:    Small

Weaknesses:    has a different type of valve removal/attaching than the rest. loses 5 or so lbs of air on super high SPV type chambers. Didn't lose any on main chambers(more volumn).

Bottom Line:
I almost took this pump back to REI untill I took another look at the directions. Found that I wasn't using the metal valve correctly.(used to just winding them on - pumping to pressure - and twisting the valve off).
This one utilizes a dual stage valve. Sort of a zero loss type of set up built into the end of the pump.
Seems to work fine now. Although seems like over engineering.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Ed from Bucks Cty, PA, US

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Heavy

Weaknesses:    Loses air. Hose flimsy. Tough to set dial (presta/Schrader). Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Though very pretty and cool design, I think the weight, and loss of air on use (and inaccurate gauge) may cause more harm than good. I tried a lighter, shock-specific pump from a colleague (that too leaked 50psi on unscrew) and may need to re-evaluate front shock nipple. Topeak makes a Pressure-Rite 90 degree schrader/shock adaptor that is supposed to prevent such airloss (why its not included...). I paid $40+ s/h
Someone needs to re-evaluate that as a Combo-pump, its a great idea. But indesign, its heavy and unreliable. I can't afford that on a 20 mile ride...

Purchased At:   campmor

Similar Products Used:   First Air Shock Pump. (I like their Joe Blow pump stand..but that is for tires...)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 06 Scalpel 2000...yes..first one.

Submitted by Jim Holmes a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable to use, accurate gauge.

Weaknesses:    Loss of air when removing valve.

Bottom Line:
I brought the pump then read the reviews and expected to have all sorts of problems with this pump. However, I found it to be very good. Perhaps Topeak have made some changes after such poor reviews in the past. I found that the shock loses about 10 bar of pressure as you remove the pump, so I just over inflated by 10 bar. Im a fairly heavy rider (about 14 stone) and found that the pump could easily inflate to the pressure I needed. Ive only used it a few times so cant yet comment on its longevity. At the moment it gets 4 chillis (not 5 because of the loss of air when removing the pump)

Favorite Trail:   Maibee Forest

Purchased At:   Wiggle.co.uk

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, Swinger 3-way

Submitted by Nick from Laurel, MD

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    metal. . . nothing really worth mentioning since it doesn't work

Weaknesses:    leaks air when you remove it from the shock (at least 5lbs, but not a predictable amount). The gauge is also a joke. It slides inconsistently, and a few times it wouldn't even register when I pumped up the shock.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money on this pump. The gauge is very imprecise and doesn't always work, the hose bleeds air of the shock when you remove it, and the threads to attach it to the valves seem like they'll break pretty easily (i'm not going to wait to find out). I bought this thing yesterday, and I'm returning it tomorrow. If you're really desperate for a pump (like I was) and this is your only choice, at least buy it from REI so you can return it after you realize how crappy it is

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   2002 Marin Hawk Hill, Noleen Mega Air Fork

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    NONE!

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING! SID adapter broke off in my shock cusing me to have buy a new fork cap. Screwed the pump onto my rear shock and it pissed all the air out of it. IT LEAKED AND WOULD NOT PUMP AIR. Does not register less than 60 psi.

Bottom Line:
Do not under any circumstances buy this product. It is the biggest P.O.S I have ever seen. It's too bad I can't give this pump 0 chilis.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   FOX

Submitted by Bryson Rast a Weekend Warrior from Mystic, CT

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Cool box.. =)

Weaknesses:    Leaks a lot of air when removing the fitting. Like all of it..

Bottom Line:
I wish I had read the reviews here first, but was handed this pump at a bike shop instead. I could not figure out how to keep air in the shock after using this pump. I have replaced it with the shock pump Manitou makes, and it works perfectly. I lose maybe a couple psi removing the new pump, where I'd lose 50-120 psi with the Topeak POS. You should not have to monkey with it to keep in the pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Old Flowers, CO

Purchased At:   Rose City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Shock pump

Bike Setup:   '96 M2 Stumpjumper, Manitou Super Air 120/100

Submitted by Christopher Pouliot a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    easily read gauge, compact design, retractable hose

Weaknesses:    leaks a lot if you screw it on all the way

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my first post.
The Topeak rep suggested that I not screw the fitting on all the way. So this year I tried not extending the hose and only screwing the fitting on until the guage reads, and voila, it works great! hardly looses any air, I read my Manitou 4 times starting at 150psi and each time the guage indicated about 5psi lost. Same deal with a Fox Float at 120psi. Went out riding and checked the shocks afterwards. The pump read the same pressure as before, so I have to apologize to Topeak for my first review, this pump is a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Massebesic, Manchester NH

Purchased At:   Paramount, Somerville

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars Elite, also used on Fox Float

Submitted by J. D. Ortega from Valencia, CB, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Strengths:    Well machined aluminium, clean design, light wheight.

Weaknesses:    Is tricky to use.

Bottom Line:
I read the review after I bought the pump. I can managed to used it without a problem. The trick is just twist the skrew fast after you have the desired press. I try a few times and using it just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Raiz de Agua. Mérida

Purchased At:   Bike Lab.

Bike Setup:   Merida xc Mission Speed. XT v-brakes, Michelin Wildgripper s-comp. Rest as packed.

Submitted by Jordan from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Strengths:    none! I never even had a chance to actually use the product before it broke.

Weaknesses:    everything! I got this pump for a christmas present. As I was fitting the pump to my shock, the damn end peice snapped off.

Bottom Line:
This pump is worthless. spend the extra money and get a decent pump.

Submitted by Mike Rajewski a Weekend Warrior from Macomb Twp, MI

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    ummmm.......it looks cool?

Weaknesses:    air loss when unscrewing

Bottom Line:
I actually thought there was something wrong with my brand new Cane Creek shock because this pump is so crappy. When I first bought it I'd maybe lose 10 lbs when unscrewing. Now, it's more like 40-60. DO NOT BUY.

Please let me know if there IS a decent shock pump out there. thx

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake -n- Stoney Creek

Similar Products Used:   none.....yet... HELP :)

Bike Setup:   C-dale SuperV, Race Face, XTR, etc etc

Submitted by Christopher Pouliot a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Strengths:    mount attaches to braze-ons

Weaknesses:    There's a button that supposedly allows control of the air released, but as far as I can tell, this button is meant to obfuscate the fact that this pump releases 40PSI on release from a shraeder valve.
M shock, a Manitou Mars Elite operates between 100 and 140PSI the manual warns not to go over 140PSI, so this pump is absolutely useless for my shock.

Bottom Line:
At least I can say I've used a shock pump now.
I'm going to take this pump back and see what the guy has to say.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Major, NH

Purchased At:   Paramount, Somerville

Similar Products Used:   none yet

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from Southampton, UK

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Solid construction, well made. Reliable gauge. Better than having no shock pump at all.

Weaknesses:    Impossible to pump shock up to any predetermined pressure as unscrewing the hose always lets out a large (but random) amount of air.

Bottom Line:
Every bike shop I've been into in the past couple of years stocks these pumps. I have no idea why. The primary function of a shock pump is to pressurise a shock to a certain level with a reasonable degree of accuracy - something that is impossible to achieve with the Topeak due to its random air-letting upon removal. What a waste of time.

To be fair to Topeak, any shock pump with a screw-on schraeder valve fitting on a hose that isn't detachable will always let out air on removal, so any pump that operates on similar principles will be just as useless. Maybe it works OK on non-schraeder valves.

Hold on - why am I being fair to Topeak? They sold me an arseways pump and condemned me to dodgy suspension setups for the past year. They must have known it just doesn't work as it should. Flapwads.

Favorite Trail:   River Plym valley, Dartmoor

Purchased At:   Shop

Similar Products Used:   None yet, but I'm in the market for an SKS maybe...

Bike Setup:   Marin Attack Trail, air shocks front and rear / schraeder valves.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Lancs. England

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    Looks Nice

Weaknesses:    Flimsy design

Bottom Line:
Very poorly made although it looks pretty. Pumping action is sticky and the screw thread would not screw down enough on my Rock Shox SIDXC to make a seal at the rubbler o ring. Also the thread is quite weak alloy and easily damaged. I was not impressed with this at all and the budget made shock pump supasses it by a long way!!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere